playing by ear?

sing aloud when u play, and learn all the major and minor chords first.

then learn the circle of fifths... and major and minor keys.

can google for information on these stuff.

You have to keep at it.... using your ear isn't easy but it can be trained!

There's no short cut to that. :)

If you are really serious.... you can do this.
Take a tuning fork and memorise the note. Yes memorise the A note at 440khz. Keep at it for a week, or a month, till you memorise it. And i do mean memorise it! Take a tuner and sing that note into it till its pitch perfect. When you are done, you can either start to use that note as a relative note... so every other notes you hear, you can figure them out based on the A note you know. OR you can move on to a piano and memorise more notes. :)

Hmm, is playing by ear means that you can play the song after listening for the first time without looking at the tabs?

yeah.. that's what playing by ear means. getting the right chords, and even the tune. and being able to play it in ANY key.

pitch fork training may teach u perfect pitch, but not necessarily to play by ear. playing by ear is an ability that is mostly in-born, or will take a some hard work to develop.

referencing notes to the A440 - still requires the ability to play by ear to be able to tell the relative interval between the A440 and the note in concern. if you do not have the ability to play by ear, i can imagine that it will be a frustrating experience doing it note by note.

anyone actually tried the pitch fork method with success?

hellmurderer said:
Hmm, is playing by ear means that you can play the song after listening for the first time without looking at the tabs?

hi I think playing by ear means in general 2 things:
1) when u hear a song, u know where to play it on your instruments. you know the progression of the chords, the notes of the melody, the harmony of the song etc

2) when u improvise or writing music, u know where to play them on your instrument. Not by trial and error method.

Hearing notes and knowing them absolutely without a reference note is what most people refer to as "perfect pitch".

But even without perfect pitch, one can also learn to play by ear by training the ear to familiarise with notes interval and characteristics. For eg. ability to hear a minor 3rd, or ability to recognise a 4th. There are many ear training exercise and methods.

Personally I think, playing by ear doesn't come suddenly. I don't expect to wake up one day and realise " I can play what I hear immediately ". It's a gradual process, a day to day practice kind of thing, at least to me :) Hope this helps

yay thanks =) haven't got a pitch fork, so i'm trying piano-ing. doesn't sound much like the guitar, but it'll do. does anyone know where to dl song-tweaking stuff? like those players that lets you distort songs?

starting off is always like dat, but as u progress, u find ur understanding of the music better. the easiest examples are punk rock, three chord progressions, many songs are based on these chords. Even simple slow songs are done this way, just by changing the beat to give a slower effect. So as in playing by ear, listen to the song a few times, get ur guitar, find the first chord and build from there. Its easy if u try!

yeah .... the best way to play by ear is to play songs ... learn the chord progression and know the function of each chords.

Example ....

in the key of C .... Dm is second, F is forth, G7 is fifth.
in the key of Bb .... Eb7 is the fifth ... Dm is the third ... Fm is the 6th.
And remember accidentals like a forth minor, diminished chords, Flattened fifth positions.

By having sufficient chord knowledge and ability to correlate it to songs .. you will be able to play by ear.

Most important thing is .... dun be conscious about it ... have fun ... learn the songs ...... love the songs. :)

Latest posts

Back