OM: My first mix - Hallowed be Thy Name (WITH SINGING!)

You can't expect me to say its nice cos you think its nice isnt it?

I'm really not trying to bring you down or anything man.
But then its just not working for me.

I think the rest of the song is not bad though, but maybe the tempo abit slow, but yeah, hope you'll take it in good lightl

Well if you want to be anal about accuracy, the tempo of the song is 100% accurate to the original studio version. :wink: My drummer played the drums while listening to the song.

Sorry that it didn't work for you, but maybe you should be nicer about things that don't work for you, maybe that will help. :)

C'mon lah, you're bound to get criticise for anything that you do, even if you think it's good. One man's meat is another man's poison...(I think this phrase is being overlyused in soft)....weeewit....

You should be more open to critisism... That is one way to improve. Well that is if you think you need to improve lah, if not, then you dun listen to other ppl opinion, which means you dun have to post anymore OM......

Cheers!!!

Hey man I don't mind criticism, I'm fine with ShredCow's criticism, his comments actually help me to improve, but I felt that seekz was unreasonable, and slightly rude, no offence. I couldn't accept someone saying my recording is way off and wrong without any proper explaination. Since the final outcome was personal preference I'll let it pass. He could have said that earlier though.

yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay.

HALLOWED BE THY NAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE \m/

muhahahahahhahah.

heck it guys.
MAIDEN IS STILL THE BEST! \m/
dats whats impt in our hearts!
what ever it is, we are maiden fans and maiden fans head bang together.

i wanna head bang so much my head hurts.

cheers.

ChanMin said:
sounds kinda draggy.. and it isnt played in time.
Good effort - though it sounds like you are capable of doing a better take.

I'm not the only one being anal about the tempo what?

Vaiyen said:
the COF version lacks the 'feel' that the original has, IMO. The COF version is only heavier.

and the feel is really all that i'm preaching about what. The original still rocks in a lot of other ppls heart.

seekz said:
I dont want to get into an argument right now, but yeah, sorry if i sounded abit harsh. maybe my expectation a lil bit too high. But hey the rest of the song is good, I'm not saying it for the sake of saying it...

And really man, not trying to bring you down, its a good take. I've been saying that for almost the rest of my other post. You just can't swallow it, then i can't help it.

Maybe if you want more constructive comments i can say that when the part comes "Cos at 5 o clock, they take me to the gallows pole, But the sands of time, for me are running low", there should be a change in the chord/riff you're playing, maybe thats why it feels "wrong"

I've been trying to be paitence with the post, but i think its apparent you've already lost your cool, then i apologise again, maybe i never have been leading the conversation in the right direction, but i believe its takes 2 hands to clap.

Anyway, I tried to look for shredcows comments and cant find anything.

Sorry about the comments from shredcows, I forgot, he gave me his 2 cents over msn. He posted in the thread in my other OM post though. And I'm ok with what you've said, just expressing my annoyance that I felt from your tone earlier on. I'm not annoyed with what you posted, just the way posted it.

And about the change of riff at the part you said, it is played EXACTLY that way in the original. It is meant to be like that. You mean the riff at "pole" and "low" right?

EDIT: Oh and the thing about not being played in time oh dear seekz, has already been rectified in the singing version, note by note. There are only 2 or 3 notes off timing. It's not easy to play the bass by following ONLY the drums, WITHOUT any form of guitar, singing, click, or whatsoever. Maybe you wanna try that? I can do a retake but I'm not the bassist of my band, so I'm not going to do it.

Hi

Just my 2 cents worth.

I feel that the intro rite up to like 1/2 way thru was kinda draggy. However, if it is not the tempo....then you really have to watch how you play the song.

Sometimes when you try too hard, the song just wont come out rite. What I noticed was that the lead was not clean....not talking distortion or effects. what i mean is you need to have a clean sound....have the notes come out right and precise. That way, even if you use distortion or whatever effects they will still be clear. For example, try playing the lead on a "tong guitar", if you can make every note play nicely...then move on to the lead and add in whatever effects that suit your fancy.

To the vocalist - you're okay..BUT....you sound too controlled. It is obvious that you trynig to control your pitching and volume. My advice....let go...feel the song and just let yourself go. I told the same thing once to and old friend of mine....first time I met him was in that Jam studio in Bedok back in the 80s....he was too controlling...I stopped the session...and told him to let go....dont worry about it.....he did...and went on to form the group Rausyanfikir....they had 2 albums, I was living overseas when I heard he got hit by some strange illness and passed away. I will never forget him and may allah bless his soul.

Thats why whenever I talk to other musicians, most of them will say if you can play jazz then rock aint a problem.

Dont get me wrong, you guys are good....but there are always room for improvement. Listen to as many variations of the song from others.

Don't try to get the song right....you do that when you practice. But when you record or do live gigs the most important thing is to enjoy yourself, lose yourself in the music and just let it all out...let yourself go thru the flow of your music and I guarantee you....those emotions you convey will actually affect your audiences.

Too many bands nowadays lose sight of that.

The only metal band I really love an d admire is Iron Maiden, their songs and albums follow a different theme everytime. I've even had the great fortune of meeting up with them and also been to one of their live concerts. And Dio was their opening band.

Anyways, thats all...good luck to you guys and all the best.

Nusantara
The Old Retired Rocker

Thanks so much.
gonna take ur advice seriously.
but yes. i agree that we have to let go and have fun when we perform.
too many bands are concerned abt band image when they are on stage.
music doesnt flow when that happens.
when you're on stage, you gotta let the music flow,
and let the song, do the talking.

\m/

dude, rockers never retire.
Once a rocker, always a rocker. \m/
thanks bang.

hi all,
This song is not one of the easiest to play, i believe the tempo that some mention here is lack of coordination,for me for an iron maiden song the bassist shld sit in the centre of the mix..

i`ve seen many bands rehearse this no..just like wat Nusantara,seeks mention i agreed with their comments,

u need to make the notes stand out, else the bite of the song is gone..
othere than that u are fine,

bro can play 2 min to midnight and post?thats one of my fav, apart from my old time fav, rime of the ancient mariner...

cheers,

hey in case you guys were wondering.

the recording wasnt done on a live set.
haha.
yea.

everything was individually recorded.
started with the drums that was recorded while listening to the original studio version through headphones.
folllowed by the guitars and bass.
and finally after all these were put together,
the vocals were added.

haha. yea.
so i guess the coordinations are a lil off here and there.
haha.

but we were trying to play around with a recording program so we decided to give this a go.
glad you guys like it.

and thanks so much for your honest comments.
most appreciated. =)
we'll do more soon!

\m/ headbang to life.

Hi guys. Sorry if I came abuot a bit harsh or over critical. But the my point is...you guys can play. And, any band that tries to tackle and Iron Maiden number definitely know their stuff.

In short to summarize my previous message was just this, Polish. Put on some kiwi and polish up your music....and everything sgould fall into place :wink:

hey! dun be sorry! never saw it as harsh! =)

we really appreciate every single comment!
thats what this is for!
to help one another improve!
great stuff guys!
we all rock!

\m/ headbang to life

hey! dun be sorry! never saw it as harsh! =)

we really appreciate every single comment!
thats what this is for!
to help one another improve!
great stuff guys!
we all rock!

\m/ headbang to life

Back