Need some help on choosing a Tokai Les Paul or Fender Tele

nebo1981

I've been using a Craftsman Tradition, which i've repainted and sanded down the neck .... but ... i feel it's time to upgrade to a better guitar.

i've been contemplating between a Fender tele (2nd hand at Guitar77) and les paul design (heard that Tokais are not bad),
my budget is around $1200.

i'm more into Blues, Country and Rock ...
totally not into strats or ibanez styled guitars...
coz ... the craftsman is a strat imitation ...
and i've got very big and fat fingers, which makes playing an ibanez really hard ...

Any suggestions, recommendations ??

________

go with the tokai, Tele necks are very skinny and might not suit u since u say playing the wizard necks would be hard.

i'll say tele instead. i think teles do capture country sounds very very well since they are bright.

also because u're coming from a strat background, the conversion to a tele would be slightly easier than a LP.

but having said that, what kind of a sound would you want? a thicker sound, or a brighter one? i think both guitars capture the genres u want to play well, but they still do sound different and are applied slightly differently.

thor666 said:
but having said that, what kind of a sound would you want? a thicker sound, or a brighter one? i think both guitars capture the genres u want to play well, but they still do sound different and are applied slightly differently.

i'm looking for a really .. Fat/Thick, while clear and clean kinda sound, while having the versatility to play rock ...
(know wat i mean ?) haha

The guitaris for maralyn manson uses a tele rite ??

Yah ... like wat you said ... both guitars kinda really capture wat i'm looking for...
which just makes it so hard to decide ...
plus ... i've only got $1200 as a budget ~

Mew said:
go with the tokai, Tele necks are very skinny and might not suit u since u say playing the wizard necks would be hard.

If you go with the Tele Reissues, they have a "U" shaped neck, 7.25'' radius, that's pretty big compared to most necks around. Fat and comfortable for chord work, and of course the bluesy stuff.

My pick: Tele Reissue (there's just something about the tele's tone and sound that cannot be replicated through any other guitar) :D

Yeah, actually Fender necks are kinda FAT and THICK.
Maybe people get the impression that they are thin after playing a 50s Les Paul profile.

i'm looking for a really .. Fat/Thick, while clear and clean kinda sound, while having the versatility to play rock ...
(know wat i mean ?) haha

Yah ... like wat you said ... both guitars kinda really capture wat i'm looking for...

hmm get the LP then and swap the pickups. a 59/JB combi sounds good, PAF Pro/Breed neck/HFH (can refer to ShredCow's clips for the latter 2) and Super Distortion/Any other high output PU seems to be what you need as well. Basically neck PU more for clean and bridge PU more for high gain stuff.

u could definitely consider the Tokai ALC-45 recommended by subversion and have some $ leftover after swapping PUs. :)

nebo1981 said:
thor666 said:

(know wat i mean ?) haha

You cant get both sounds in one. Personally with that money I would look for an all-valve Laney or Peavey amp. That should keep you occupied for quite a while.

i vote tele...the tokais look hideous (i just went to have at look at'em this afternoon). buy original, dont buy imitations :lol:

i'd say a tele reissue as well, prolly something from the era u are most influenced by. say classic rock, maybe get a 70s to 80s reissue? or if u like earlier stuff, a 62 reissue? :D i got me one of those, and i must say that the own! :twisted:

wow ...

the tele's seem to be wining ~ LOL ~

Anybody knows where to get a tele with an F-hole and how much (roughly) ??

oh .. and can i ask what the difference between solid body and semi-hollow is ? tone wise ??

i've never seen hollow bodied teles before.. :? i dont really think hollow bodies will affect the sustain much i think rather its the effects and amp...even my weak shit strat could get a real long sustain when i still had my pod2.

blahblah said:
i've never seen hollow bodied teles before.. :? i dont really think hollow bodies will affect the sustain much i think rather its the effects and amp...even my weak shit strat could get a real long sustain when i still had my pod2.

not totally hollow ...

it's the tele with 1 F-hole ...
so like ... semi-hollow ... ~

Does string gauge affect the sustain .?
coz i've realised once i've changed strings to .10 there seems to be less sustain ~

i think it only affects the sound but not the sustain..sustain probably has more to do with the PUs sensitivity to string vibration? correct me if im wrong.

Latest posts

Back