Music technology at La Salle SIA

for the music dip, one thing you guys got to know is that there are lots of people with years and years of solid music training who will be applying for these course. the min requirement is just for the MOE. you will be competing with the best for the slot. people who eat piano for breakfast!

maybe matthez would like to share with us his 'resume'?

the music tech and pop music course does not require any ABRSM or trinity certificate to get u in. but for the music tech course , you have to go thru an audition whereby u are required to play a musical instrument , present a original CD wif u singing or playing in it etc
after the audition comes a short interview and they'll notify u when u get pass the auditions.the same thing applies to SP as well.in fact i think , all these new courses introduced in those polys nowadays have a interview system...dat's wad i have observed so far

i just read in the straits times that singapore poly will be offering an audio engineering diploma. do check it out.

Ya, Duoble Blade answers all the question. Need to audition first, for pple goin into classical music, u need to have a grade 8 cert. For those going into Contemporary music, u need to be able to play something for them to see n for Music tech, u can show them ur demo or tell them wat have u been doin outside related to music tech stuffs.
Actually, u do not need very very gd results to get in, juz meet the min requirements. If u can play very well, or u have alot of experience in doin music tech stuffs outside, they will take u in regardless of ur results.
Oh ya, there's a lot of grand n upright piano there.

And one important thing is Lasalle is moving into a new building a few yrs time. Saw the model of it n it really look very impressive, so i guess it'll be having a lot of attention in the future, both local n overseas. Another gd thing is most of the lecturers there r pple from the music scene whether local or overseas, same goes for music tech, the lecturers r also experience sound engineers. There r alot of large ensembles for u to join too, like jazz ensemble, percussion ensembles, mix chambers, choir n etc.

That's abt all lah, feel free to ask any questions.

can i play a piano piece for the music tech auditions? actually i have a demo of my recording but my voice sounds like kermit the frog on speed(quoted from unltimate-guitar.com)...whhhahaahahahha

but frankly speaking , is it easy to get into the music tech course? cause i'm interested in sound engineering....

you mean u need related exp wid mixers and all for the music tech course? or do juz hafta play a musical instrument?

wad abt bass? wad will they think?

Re: .

rottenramone said:
i just read in the straits times that singapore poly will be offering an audio engineering diploma. do check it out.

Yeah......and they like spent wowwww $600K worth of equipment and studio setup.

Errr.....that is quite a tiny sum, as compared to more established institute. I am very skeptical really....and who is the renowned professor of sound & music teaching....????

Better not be too eager to sign up, I am suspicious of a likely heartbreak city when you finish and go out to find job.

sometimes being over skeptical can cause more harm den good.besides , La Salle SIA is a under the government so i guess it has been so called "certified" by the government.besides u have to start small in terms of using budget equipment before advancing to the more expensive equipment.if u know the foundations of operating a reverb console and it does not really matter whether the console is the budget type cause wad matters most dat at least u know wad a reverb is. den i'm pretty sure u have not will have any problems operating a 1 million dollar reverb console rite? cause the foundations are already there...

the equipment at La Salle SIA may not the most expensive in the market 2day but i'm pretty sure the most important is to get ur theory and foundations right...after dat den u can try ur hands at the more expensive equipment.

SAE isn't crap, okie i dunno abt the one in singapore but i just recorded at the SAE here in Byron bay NSW australia. the equipment was top notch and the engineers who were first yr students were excellant. cld not have been a better exp recording. i'm a drummer and as u know thts a hard thing to mic well.
i was from fsv in ngee ann poly and the equip and lectuerer in my time was awesome. jurgen franz use to teach the 24 track class and he was quite amazing, he's recorded everyone from alamay fernandez in s'pore to world music star peter gabriel. i'm unsure if he's still there.

both i feel are gd choices, it depends on wat kind of life u want to lead while ur there. SAE from wat i heard is intensive and it submerges u in the world of audio engineering. fsv wld give u a wider but not so in depth look at audio egin. plus u got hot but slightly kooky mass comm girls to look at.
oh yesssssss

What's wrong with SAE ? I heard it is great and my dad graduated from it.

I'm in the process of enrolling in the school but I read about cons and stuff, I'm scared a tad bit.

So what's the deal in SAE ? I'd like to gather much info about the school before getting in.

oh i'm also interested to know more about these courses

i'm currently studying jc2 (wanted to go poly or sumthing but didn't know what i really wanted in sec 4). i was thinking towards audio/music side of stuff but wasn't aware of the choices then. now i kinda feel a lil wasted spenind time for the As cuz i realised they didn't have any of these audio/sound/music mixing/engineering in uni as a degree...

thinking of applying into 1 of this courses after NS (everybody will be like 17 while i'm 21 -_-"). but, still thinking actually cuz its quite an important decision.

there are a few choices, if u wanna go into music techology. are u interested more in music or in audio, or in both? If both, there is the laselle music tech course, as well as singapore poly's music and audio techcourse. if u go SAE, its only audio engineering, no music at all. but since u finish JC, have u considered overseas? like berklee music college :D.. if u are proficient in your choice instrument, should be able to get in. i suggested overseas because with a levels, u can enroll in a music/audio degree program overseas since singapore doesnt really offfer a "supposedly recognized one". but both laselle and sae offer degrees.

*p.s, forgot to mention : IMO cert in the music industry is worthless :lol: *

i'm in a quarter life crisis myself, where I've been thinking whether is a diploma certificate required in the audio industry or should I take chances and just impress and get the work done without any certs (P.S i'm only up to PSLE.)

an average diploma will cost $9K+++ and minimum age requirement of 17 (done) , and O levels (don't have it)

if I had $9K, should I go for a 1 year diploma that would have pretty much taught almost of what I know to get the job done (unless when it comes to electronics/voltage/acoustics calculation) or should I spend $9K and 365 days couped up in the esplanade library/kinokuniya/borders @ wheelock and attain some sort of nirvana of home/DIY read up recording?

i definitely agree with tera's opinion that you don't need a cert in this line because a friend (who was from SAE) advised, it's not a government sector or anything like accountant/doctor/lawyer where you really require studies. unless you're talking about being a studio acoustician/building studios. then you need allll the maths etc etc. but on the other hand to spare a thought for those who studied a diploma, i wouldn't say it's a waste of time. maybe it is some form of "security" to survive past the "job interview phase".

0¢ worth seriously. i don't know who to side cos i wonder would it make a difference if I went for a diploma or 9K of books and magazines.

oh and before I close this window, I totally agree with doubleblade. I operate on a small 8 channel mixer/recorder and I stood before a 6 digit SSL mixer with its own room (named SSL room duh). and I asked myself, what's the difference between a $1K mixer/recorder and a mixer that's 300 times its size and 500 times its cost?

"it's just bigger and more in everything."

they're all based on simply the same functions. then again there might be more to it which I haven't learned about cos I didn't touch the SSL mixer. confidently saying there won't be 200times more new things compared to a normal mixer.

Hi all, anyone here attending SOMA diploma courses? - Diploma in Music Production & Engineering or Diploma in Songwriting & Production?

I see, so far, didn't hear much about the SOMA diploma. Don't know whether the course is good or not. Heard of any reviews?

My advice is whatever the school, take a very close look at the curriculum offered. Check the amount of time or the emphasis placed on the various components in the curriculum. Some schools stress more on the technical aspects, some more on the musical aspects, I think its important to differentiate the two and be clear with what you want to learn. Its not enough just to that you want a course thats music related and and that it covers particular general topics.
So check the curriculum and hassle those course coordinators, ask questions.

Back