Music technology at La Salle SIA

hey, dric, part time diploma eh? hey cool! haha basically, i'm more intereted in the knoewledge and know how... hands on and stuff... not really after the damn cert dude... i mean, the piece of paper, it's not totally useless but i feel that in this kinda industry, everything else like experience etc, outweighs any cert of sorts. i'm not waiting to get hired dude... haha

yo =)

i'm a student in SoMA,

it's been a rewarding experience for me .. I'm an engineering student :D

which course are you interested in? everybody is rite, no matter where ... u're the one hu will make the difference ... I know one of my friends from songwriting dip program, he come in without any music background, can't play keyboard, can't play guitar ..... really almost zero ..... and u know what? .... i'm doing a recording for his song, and his song is really good ..... is a really sell-able song. Rarely do i hear songs like this from my friend hu just compose songs without any songcrafting knowledge.

want to share 1 quote from him
"I'm really amazed on how much SoMA has taught me ....."

hahaha ... anyway ..... do looked up to each school's module, and ask more question to them .... then decide which one you'll like.

The best is to go there and see for it urself i guess? :p

Good luck for all of us!

i think the whole thing is really an individuals choice.

i went to lasalle sia, and studied music technology, but found it was lacking in what i had came to expect from the course.

so then i looked at alternatives.... i looked at republic poly, nafa, SAE singapore and SAE bryon bay and SAE perth.

i found that perth had the best to offer me, for my needs... so i went there... did my diploma in audio engineering...

and it was brilliant... i also did an online course to back up my theory and overall i am happy with how my career is progressing.

i am currently back in singapore doing my degree course.

However, i wouldn't exactly tell people to go to SAE singapore for the diploma. Its like they've never heard of analog gear...

im not saying that digital is what we should be learning, but digital ideas come from analog concepts... so yeah.

PEACE!

Haha, I couldn't qualify for LaSelle cause I didn't have the Music Theory grade, and they seem to look down on bassists...
Anyway I was the final batch of Yr 2s Mr Jurgen taught in FSV before he went to China. I am enrolling into SAE coming July.

Music Technology course in LaSelle needs ABRSM Grade 5+Practical In any instrument.
Audio Technology has no such requirement.

oh i get it. requires at least abrsm grade 5 practical in any instrument?

but how about music theory? does it require a minimum grade?

All Music courses at LaSelle require at ABRSM Music Theory grade5/6. Practical knowledge is an instrument is a must. If you do not meet the requirements, they won't even consider you.
However there was this guy with grade 4 cert Music Theory and he got into the audition and made it with his portfolio.

oh i see... lets say i'm in jc now and planning to skip foundation year and just go for the 3 years degree course... wait...

i'll just give them a call tmr and ask about more stuff... will post the info i gather...

Does audio engineering course need to study op amp and Fourier ?
I am half dying studying all the op amp and feedback stuff and Fourier Mathematics now in EEE .....this week got test !!!

Dun understand everything, but I tell myself to memorize everything first because Fourier is music or music is Fourier, op amp is also used everywhere in music equipment.

music technology in lasalle

hi, is anyone still discussing abt this topic? seems like i've come here 2 yrs too late haha.

i'm currently studying in some private uni, but i've decided to switch to the music route instead. i went to lasalle website and found music technology. seems to meet my criteria, but there's just not enough details to confirm. can anyone provide me with the info and tell me whether it's good to take that course, or go to nafa or SoMA?

Your help will be appreciated very much :)

oh and before I close this window, I totally agree with doubleblade. I operate on a small 8 channel mixer/recorder and I stood before a 6 digit SSL mixer with its own room (named SSL room duh). and I asked myself, what's the difference between a $1K mixer/recorder and a mixer that's 300 times its size and 500 times its cost?

"it's just bigger and more in everything."

they're all based on simply the same functions. then again there might be more to it which I haven't learned about cos I didn't touch the SSL mixer. confidently saying there won't be 200times more new things compared to a normal mixer.

Not saying you're totally wrong but the difference is, a sizeable portion of the billboard stuff is done on a SSL. ;)

i know that.

"more in everything" = in terms of quality included.

ppl who can afford an SSL would barely have time to be hangin out on a forum talking about how great it really is , (like how someone would endorse some insane Ferrari Enzo / lambo mucielargo on your average singaporean income based car forum). so i'm talking in terms of levels where the average singaporean with an interest/passion for audio engring.

thanks for the highlight anyways.

hi, is anyone still discussing abt this topic? seems like i've come here 2 yrs too late haha.

i'm currently studying in some private uni, but i've decided to switch to the music route instead. i went to lasalle website and found music technology. seems to meet my criteria, but there's just not enough details to confirm. can anyone provide me with the info and tell me whether it's good to take that course, or go to nafa or SoMA?

Your help will be appreciated very much :)

I'm contemplating about the same thing too! But I made a huge mistake going to poly and when I grad, NO MORE TUITION GRANT :( Means I'd have to fork out a lump sum to study music tec sighhhhs

so far price range, all is about the same unless you have tuition grant. I'd prefer La Salle or NAFA compared to SoMA(for people who wants to work and study at the same time, lessons are only twice a week with a 3hour duration) 7KSGD btw, for SoMA

I learn arrangment from Creatune in Sonic Studio. Study under an instructor that produce two new age album for himself.

come to nafa! :)

Hey... you didn't support your stand why I should go to nafa lol. Btw, I cannot really find the description for music technology or whatever your school names them in the website. Perhaps you can describe to me what they actually do for music tech. I also heard that the criteria to enter nafa is rather high... I've only a grade 8 practical guildhall cert and grade 6 theory abrsm cert. I'll probably have to go through a tough audition to just scrape through it lol

I'm contemplating about the same thing too! But I made a huge mistake going to poly and when I grad, NO MORE TUITION GRANT :( Means I'd have to fork out a lump sum to study music tec sighhhhs

so far price range, all is about the same unless you have tuition grant. I'd prefer La Salle or NAFA compared to SoMA(for people who wants to work and study at the same time, lessons are only twice a week with a 3hour duration) 7KSGD btw, for SoMA

Wow... How did you find out that the studying days are only that short? Haiz... I wonder whether I still have tuition grant. I was an A level grad. I'm rather confused abt the diploma and degree courses in lasalle. Will it be the same if i take diploma until level 2 then take degree level 3, or taking degree all the way? And what are the prerequisites to enter the degree course? Will i be able to skip the foundation course? Not very sure of what they mean by A level students can go to level 1. I think they're saying A level students who had taken music courses as their subject can skip foundation...

So where are you going now?

Yes, if you have A levels and meet the minimum entry requirements, you will most likely get straight into Level 1 without having to do Foundation.

Back