monitor and mic question

THOA

Hi, guys,

1) I am looking into purchasing a set of speakers for my mini studio. In fact I THINK I found that is suited for my budget:

http://www.behringer.com/MS40/index.cfm?lang=eng

My friend owns an MS 16 actually. Granted, it is nothing compared to real studio type monitors, but for my purpose I think it is good. So I thought that perhaps getting the MS 40 would be a good step up.

However he also told me that the Behringer has a tendency to distort when tuned up loud, hence my qualms about getting it. The MS 40 is selling at less than 300 at Hung's so I guess that would be my budget.

Any other recommendations for alternatives? They would be greatly appreciated.

2) I just got hold of an SM 58. Was deciding between getting that or a USB condenser before I finally decided to get the SM, cos I do a lot of screaming and would simply destroy a condenser that way, heh.

But I still am looking into getting a condenser, cos sometimes there are ideas that incorporate whisper types vocals or just plain ol' singing (by myself or by sessionists).

So would it be a good idea to get the USB mic (even though I have Pro Tone)? Any recommendations for a good condenser mic that I can use at a budget of less than 200?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps not a usb mic, but a more of a condenser. I was only mentioning the USB cos I thought it's a nice price. Any to recommend worth less than $200? As I said in my previous post, I have a pro tone.

And I just messaged the person you refered me to. Thanks. But in case it has been been given a bid beyond my budget, any other suggestions?

I am looking into a starter home studio kinda thing, so not looking to get something super just yet.

well i'd suggest sticking with the 58 for the time being, learn to work with it first and save up for a better condensor. most sub $200 condensors are pretty crap, i think you'd have better results with a well used 58.

the lower priced and decent sounding condensors i can think of, audiotechnica 2020, one of the shure ksm models, maybe even a behringer b1 or c1 if you're so inclined.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check those out.

As for the monitor speakers, I was infoed that the higest bid is currently $330, lol. I'm still looking for suggestions for speakers.

My dilemma on this whole thing stems from this:

I just recently bought an album done by a couple of acquaintances of mine who used an M-Audio interface, some cheap condensor and mixed and monitored with Creative and Behringer speakers (not sure which model for the Behringer. Could be MS 16), and I have to say that I am actually very impressed by what they produced.

Then again the sound is pretty basic (ie not to many layers of instrumentations to the mix) so gave alot of space for clarity.

Maybe I should further explain as to give a better picture of what's going on:

I know that being longer and more knowledgeable about the tech of music than I have, the wisdom by the people in this forum carries much weight. But, I'm not exactly a well incomed person (I earn less than $900 a month) and with bills and daily needs to think about, I ponder about how I am able to cope with waiting to afford the right kind of gears, when, in the end, the average audience have less care about what gear I am using than the actual music I produce.

To be honest, I just wanna have something out cos I think I have waited too long. And instead of waiting longer to be able to afford sessions in the studios, or get great equipments before embarking on it, I'm planning on doing things guerilla with fairly decent equipments (not utter craps, mind you), and just concentrate my worry on the actual music.

Any amount cents to comment and/or rebutt/critique what I am saying is most welcomed. :D

THOA

i 100% respect you for your determination. remember the CD you passed me many moons ago? i still have it in my car. i listen to it sometime. when switching between your cd and the radio station. almost no difference in terms of quality.

one thing about producing music, getting good musician is 50% the battle won. getting good sound is another 25%

with good musician and sound(input), it is quite difficult to have bad mix.

as for the monitor speakers, get something within your budget and work it into your music. when you find that a certain gear is limiting your output, then you scout for an upgrade.

let me know when you are free, we can go shop around and check out some monitors.

Wow! You still have it! :D

"when switching between your cd and the radio station. almost no difference in terms of quality"

I'm not too sure about that statement, but I'm guessing it's a bad thing? Not that I am offended by it, though, heh. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that a 12 dollar karaoke mic and Creative Audigy soundcard will not do justice no matter how hard I tried, so I really thought that getting a real mic and audio interface is something I should be pressing for.

Hence, I did a bit of scouting and research in this forum and elsewhere and got a proper audio interface and mic. A good input equates to a good output; I have no doubt about that (I also think that a good producer is a necessary but often overlooked "band member", but again budget constraints had me resorting to my own ears and judgement for now).

"one thing about producing music, getting good musician is 50% the battle won. getting good sound is another 25%"

That's a new mantra for me to learn. I will cycle it in my head.

"let me know when you are free, we can go shop around and check out some monitors."

That is really kind of you! I seriously appreciate it. But before we do that, could you suggest an amount I should save up first? At least some target for me calculate how long I should prepare to starve myself for it, lol.

Thanks alot, James :D

"when switching between your cd and the radio station. almost no difference in terms of quality"

means your quality is as good as those on radio! :wink:

dont worry about the money part. we see what is out there and decide which would help you get the best result for your investment.

* if you spend your money on a pair of speakers and keep using your "12 dollar karaoke mic and Creative Audigy soundcard", i would think that the sound quality would still be pretty much the same.

* not mantra, just something which i feel. :oops:

Was reading the specs of the Behringer and comparing with other monitor speakers:

Tweeter Ø 65 mm (2 1/2"), 8 Ω
Woofer Ø 120 mm (4 3/4"), 4 Ω

Audio inputs
Line 1 1/8" TRS stereo, impedance 20 kΩ
Line 2 2 RCA, impedance 20 kΩ

Digital inputs
Optical TOSLINK
Coaxial RCA

Converter 24-bit

Sample rate < 192 kHz

System specifications
Output power 2 x 20 W
Frequency response 50 Hz to 25 kHz

Still considering my options for now, but perhaps some insight would be helpful.

Can someone enlighten me as to why Behringer's monitors are generally unfavoured?

Another monitor I am considering is the Yamaha HS50M, but I am not too sure about the price...

EDIT: Found out about it, and deciding to forget it :lol:

Back