Misunderstood musicians?

teraslasch said:
Without theory , u can compose, u'll end up like those crappy bands IMO..

You know a lot of the greatest musicians have no knowledge of theory , they simply relied on their ears alone... 8)

great for you u hav grades doOD!

u have no idea how hard it is to get into a concert band outside without grades to show your qualification... :(

DoubleBlade, ABRSM has Jazz piano for grade 1 to 5. LCM has Electronic Keyboard for grade 1 to 8. Their repertoire is quite different too.

As regard to your initial question about explaining theory. Maybe you can use me as the guinea pig. Try to explain some theory to me and I will tell you if it works.

my double bade, you are misunderstood by people? dont worry, for every misunderstood musicians out there, theres someone bound to appreciate you... i wish you all the best in your jazz piano journey...

Hey DB, didn't you do a survey some time back?? I tot got some summary to share after that. Did I missed it?

oh yes....Okay I'll send you the entire powerpoint presentation to you and James via email...

Mikemann what's your personal email by the way?

Frummer said:
great for you u hav grades doOD!

u have no idea how hard it is to get into a concert band outside without grades to show your qualification... :(

Dude , I have no grades :lol:

I'm just doing the syllabus and for examination wise , that should be of secondary consideration...

Soft : I think I should be referring to the more general questions to music like "How are chords and scales related to each other?" or " What is an appaeggio?" or "How is a chord formed?" etc

Surely you have to explain some theory concepts here , there's no escaping it of course...

Spikes : Sometimes I feel that way and besides I'm pretty sure it's nothing new.... :)

DoubleBlade, you try lah. Say for example, I ask you "How is a chord formed?"

And you would say ....

term

MrRhoads said:
Well, without music theory, they still could compose with their musical ears :) I'll still name them a musician

Can write song means a musician already? A musician is a person whose main living is thro playing music. Just like if you act out a play at home, does that make u an actor/actress.

All of us will learn some theory along the way. Learning your scales will only help you in the field, be it a sessionist or an artist. And if you learn your music, you will have a better control of your career and not be a produced puppet.

Don't be misunderstood. What i meant was a musician without music theory can also be titled as one. Of course music theory does help alot.

oops

Hi Randy Rhoads
Yeah I kinda misunderstooded.. my humble apologies. You are right... we are all right.

Cheers

i don't think a musician is someone who does music to earn a living!! :x i've studied music for 19 years now, but i don't make a living off it. it doesn't make me any less of a musician though! :smt013

I second that. However, what exactly constitutes a musician?
Must one be able to play an instrument, write songs, or both? Are singers and musicians mutally exclusive? Cos I often hear them being mentioned separately.
It's a term which is much bandied around, but does not have a universally-agreed meaning.

what a headscrew.

you guys are really weird.

very very weird.

and funny.

very very funny.

you guys are really weird and funny.

really?

Huh? Really ah? Means that I have been a musician for the past 10 years? Nah lah.... I too shy to call myself a musician....

ninja relax lah...little bit dont have to be so angry what.... You mean when you apply for things under occupation you put musician? Well thats my defination lah.. no right no wrong what...to each his own.

But I dont really care about the title... I just wanna be a sessionist and earn my rent.

Darren

I guess u can call urself a musician if you're inclined to anything musical :lol: .. u can call primary school band kids young musicians :lol:

to define "musician" as nothing more than an occupational classification is incredibly narrow-minded!

it's like saying only people who are involved in theatre as a living are thespians. what if U2 retires? is The Edge not a musician just because he's no longer making money off it? the man is still capable of of some nice guitar work evn if he retires.

being a musician is not just a job, and if you feel it is, you haven't experienced what being a musician actually is. being a musician is much more than just making money. it's the ability to create auditory entertainment, to yourself and/or to others, regardless of how much money you make off it. people are musicians because they just are. they love music, they can't live without music being a part of their lives. they tap their feet, they bob their heads, they create music with whatever they have around them because it's in them, it's who they are.

they're not musicians so they can put it down as their occupation.

ugh.

being a musician isn't an occupation; it's not a title. it's more like a type of existence.

Nicely said serialninja. Personal example--I told my brother I'm going to start studying to take the Yamaha drum examinations and he said "yay! welcome fellow musician!" When he didn't know I was going to take the exams, he didn't consider me a musician, even though I play piano (quit at grade 2) and am intending to take my drumming very seriously. See?? No qualification = not a musician? Doesn't make sense to me. I think anyone can be a musician--not saying every Tom, Dick or Harry who picks up an instrument can be one. just saying, don't make your definitions too narrow. you find you miss out a lotta good musicians that way.

Back