emphibian said:
you are evil people.

all you do is negate.

classify and group.

what is wrong with you people?

who is better? who is not?

WHO CARES?????

do what you do and do it.

emphibian...I don't think what they're doing is negating or anything evil. we're just trying to see how we think. no one is condemning how anyone else thinks! relax. we're all musicians here in our own right. at least, that's what I think.

Being the threadstarter , my initial thought for posting such a topic was because I hope that classical musicians and contemperory musicians can co-exist with each other although many times , they tend to be at loggerheads with each other in terms of how they view music as.

The classical way views music as something technical which can only be achieve through sheer amount of hard work and years put in. While the contemperory way views music as a form of self expression which even an amateur musician can do given a much creative mind.

Although one side might truely disagree with the other side but nonetheless both sides are not wrong actually in how they view music as.

For a classical musician , the only way to improve on their playing is to get as many certificates as possible. I don't blame them because this is how they were brought up with since young when they started playing their instrument. Music exams , teachers stressing on the importances of exams , teachers "losing face" when they students fail the exams. Most , if not all classical musicians have had teachers before which emphasises much on the music exams as the only way to improve. As such the classical musician views music as something more of an academic subject in school...

Whereas for the contemperory musician , the only way to improve in their playing is through constant practice and experience. A lot of contemperory musicians are self taught which is good in a sense that they don't not experience the wrath of classical teachers who emphasise so much on music exams. As such , there is no stress related to music exams for most contemperory musicians. No stress for music exams means that they have more time to learn how to improvise and compose pieces and view music as a leisure rather than an academic subject.

So yeah I hope you SOFTies can understand one another and respect each other views on music whether we come from a classical or contemperory background....

I think it's not possible to be a complete musician without exposing yourself to both classical and contemporary aspects of the art. you should at least acknowledge the good points of the other side even if you're a strict classical/contemporary player. It never hurts to be more creative if you're a classical player, or more technically talented if you're a contemporary player.

Musical theory never hurt anybody.

:wink:

*in awe here...* you guys have said it so well. Classical and contemporary musicians might be different but they're both still musicians. can we compare it to like medical doctors and people who hold PH Ds and psychologists etc? They're different but both still doctors. (okay my analogy might not be that great but I think you guys get the point) I've had the fortune (or misfortune) to have experienced classical training and am now experiencing more contemporary training so I can see the differences. Music should be something accessible to everybody and musician should be a title anyone can accomplish if they try hard enough : ) just my 2 cents' worth.

DoubleBlade said:
Being the threadstarter , ...

totally agreed. I was trained classically from young and pressurized by my teacher. that was one of a hell teacher i had.. and i hated piano so much until i decided to stop my classical lessons aand take up some pop playing and from there WEEE my interested boosted like hell and i learnt the most by myself haha..

Classical contemporary

I was in Malaysia and saw this guitarist called Albert playing his Godin. He is a guitarist all his life of 40 years. He plays tunes like John Mayer, Dave Matthews but occasionally he will lapse into a classical tune, and that just blows my mind away. That's co-existence at its closest I think.

On the other hand, I had a grade 8 piano teacher trying to learn pop style. She couldnt handle it.

Anyone remembers Hanjin? Taught piano when he was young. He was told he can never be a musician. Now he composes for Coco Lee and others. But he uses theory he learnt to use in his songs.

Yes theory never hurt anyone.

Still on the topic of musicians.. i find it totally hilarious that someone can disagree with my opinion and call me narrow minded.Its like I am complaining that someone complains a lot. Bloody funny I tell you.

Good day everyone, whoo hoo its a Friday time to chug a glug!!!!!

Re: Classical contemporary

Darren said:
Still on the topic of musicians.. i find it totally hilarious that someone can disagree with my opinion and call me narrow minded.Its like I am complaining that someone complains a lot. Bloody funny I tell you.

agreed! lol. never fails to amaze me that someone can disagree and call someone else narrow-minded.

Haha , i came across this amusing post in HC under the topic "why are DJs not considered as musicians?" or something of that sort.. one guy replied "Cause they try to act like one"

DoubleBlade said:
The classical way views music as something technical which can only be achieve through sheer amount of hard work and years put in. While the contemperory way views music as a form of self expression which even an amateur musician can do given a much creative mind.

hmm. well i agree to a fair extent. and to answer your previous question, yep i'm classically trained and enjoy and play contemporary music too. hm...the way i see it is that in classical music the challenge is twofold - the first is to learn the techniques necessary to play the pieces, and the second is to learn how to express the music in a personal way even though you're playing a piece of music where you're basically told what to do. this is a big part of the challenge when you start taking grade 7 and 8 exams and diploma level exams because by this stage they tend to expect that you already have most of the technical ability nailed.

in contemporary music there's more leeway for the abstract, and because a fair number of contemporary musicians compose their own music, there isn't such an emphasis on the challenges presented in classical music. but there are different challenges, such as finding original ways to express yourself musically, and songwriting. so i think it's possible to be a good contemporary musician without necessarily knowing music theory or being technically outstanding, which are typical prerequisites to being called a good classical musician. i don't believe theory and formal training are necessary for contemporary music.

that said, understanding music theory and possessing a high degree of technical ability never hurt anyone, regardless of what type of music they play.

lol.

Back