Maintainence...

hellmurderer

Hi everyone, I just bought my SA120 for a few months back... And now I decided to it some cleaning... So, can anyone advise me on what type of solution do I need to buy to clean the frets and the body?

And any precaution or things which I need to be very careful about while cleaning them?

Thanks...

Dunlop has the fretboard cleaning solution and polish for the body, each bottle would cost about $7? You can get it at almost any guitar shop.

edit: Oh and they sell cloth for cleaning guitars, but I just use a clean rag. I don't really know if that's 'wrong', but nothing's happened to my guits so far.

careful not to use rags that have rough texture or thouse bath towels kinda texture.They cause those scratches. (if u care very much that is) :) :)

The Spectacle kinda cloth is good..smooth and slippery surface..

erm....can i ask?
how to make ur fingers being able to fly around the fretboard?
haha i mean..how to make ur fretboard smooth and "slippery"

the dunlop fretboard cleaner what does it do to it?
how about the frets? how do u make it shinning?

abt the flying part i dun think fret board affects cuz u'll be on the strings most of the time..for the fret board conditioning i use lemon oil..abt cleaning the body and the finished surfaces i use lighter fluid or naphta..

for fly fingers.. u need to practiice :lol: .. for fretboards.. u can use lemon oil.. u know those series of dunlop guitar care accessories.. use em.. darn good.. been using a 65(?) thats the polish.. leaves a lemon scent as well.. heh heh

Dunlop Formula 65. Excellent guitar polish.

For fast fretwork, I prefer a natural finished neck. The finished necks like my Epi SG's are crap to play fast on... it isnt smooth. For me, anyway.

because i tried out my friend guitar which is 2 years old. and the fretboard is very smooth, allows sliding to be easy and when play along the strings, it's like the fretboard isnt there at all.
My current guitar fretboard starting to get "rough". as in...when you slide here and there there's a fiction between ur fingers and the fretboard.

what does lemon oil do on the fretboard btw? i was told not to use the lemon oil too oftenly as it will cause the wood to dry up?

cleaning cloth

If you really care about the finish of the guitar i would want to recommend using the Fender finishing cloth...it looks like a normal rag but its constructed of microfibres or something like that and i'm really happy with it. No scratches n doesn't leave any swirl marks...

dunlop 65 rocks... nice smell.. *hic*..
lemon oil will moisturise your fretboard. but dun use too much.

polishing cloth wise... normal t-shirt cloth is good enough la... microfibre cloth is expensive... if you really want quality then buy car polishing cloth..

car polish is also damn power for keeping your guitar's finish baby bottom smooth and in its show room shine. personally i use AURI gold but malcom uses autoglym. both also not bad.

Yo!

To clean the frets, just use an old rag and autosol... make sure you protect your fretboard with masking tape... do also peel off the tape slowly! Hmmm... for the fretboard, Famous Guitar Guru Dan Erlewine recommends linseed oil. It forms a thin finish on the wood that makes it feel good to play on and also makes the fretboard easy to clean. Do remove the oil quickly once you apply it and do use it sparingly too.

As for the body of electric guitars, you can use Autoglym (spelling?), well known guitar expert Malcolm Tan's advice... there you go! Happy maintaining!! :D

ChanMin said:

lol definitely. smells lemony-citrusy lol.

uh, where to get lemon oil?

for the fretboard, i use tissue paper to rub off all the green colour stuff ,especially the area adjacent to the frets, before applying the dunlop 02. For the frets i use dunlop 65.It seems alright..

Praetorian said:
ChanMin said:

lol definitely. smells lemony-citrusy lol.

uh, where to get lemon oil?

at DIY store.. about 9bucks? but can last you a year...

chiagerald said:
Yo!

To clean the frets, just use an old rag and autosol... make sure you protect your fretboard with masking tape... do also peel off the tape slowly! Hmmm... for the fretboard, Famous Guitar Guru Dan Erlewine recommends linseed oil. It forms a thin finish on the wood that makes it feel good to play on and also makes the fretboard easy to clean. Do remove the oil quickly once you apply it and do use it sparingly too.

As for the body of electric guitars, you can use Autoglym (spelling?), well known guitar expert Malcolm Tan's advice... there you go! Happy maintaining!! :D

Have to agree about the linseed oil....i've never used anything else for my fretboard but do remember to get PURE RAW linseed oil..available at art friend n other arts n crafts store.......I think i shall try the AutoGlym too...have a couple of bottles i use to clean n polish my bike :p

Latest posts

Back