Live drum recording

seekz

Hey i have a problem.

When i mic up my drums, my over heads picks up too much of the bass kick drum. making it a very heavy boom. I even have to to a low shelf cut to get a proper sound...

I know EQing away is not the solution. But the things is !! i dont know the problem !!

Could it be room acoustics that my bass kick is so prominent ?

That's why you get so much commercial products and albums these days using sampled and preprogrammed stuffs.

It's very tough to record a drum live and cut the roll offs from the other toms and cyms mics.

You have to work on a sweet spot, by countless adjustments and tuning.

maybe you can try to use gate? but actually, it is ok to cut the lower frequence off the overheads and resulting in lesser of the kick spillover. :wink:

Cos i'm going by the minimalist approach.

A snare, a kick, and 2 overheads. yeah no tom mics.

So my concern is that by doing a low shelf cut, I'll cut out alot of the tom's low end. Also a huge part of the low freq energies of the cymbals have been taken out. They begin to sound almost too sizzling or thin.

But i cannot be sure if the low cut is the cause of that. cos i cant hear everything as it should be with bass booming into everything else.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright... so going by mikeman, room acoustics can pose a real problem eh?

All the while i only tot that room acoustics are only very subtle. Actually I've got a rough track done of the drum recording. maybe you guys can try to hear it and tell me whats wrong.

Basically I think the snare is not well define enuf. well at least thats the thing that hit me first square in the jaw. Maybe you guys can pin point more stuff, so can tweak my set-up.

link will be up soon.

http://www.seekz.net/crazy.mp3

its just a very rough recording.
main thing is to get feedback regarding the drum recordings.
well i've heard it again on my monitors and it sounded like shit, so i had to mix it all over again. i think the prev one might be shitty due to the ear fatigues.

anyway, yeah i just realised that the stereo separation is next to Zero !! hahah. Now i'm damn sure its the room at work. My room is too small.

wei hello there. haha. quite nice leh ur recording. haha. but i think during the drum recording during the rolls, shud put the the bass drum louder. and the toms a darker sound. thats wat i learnt in my school band. so just trying to share with u. haha.

hi seekz,
Nice tune, if im not wrong its taken from Loudness track right?
Hmm dunno abt separation, but i feel like the drum is out of tune...

heya.. most important thing,TUNE YOUR DRUMS! sorry for the caps, but just trying to emphisise how important this is.

if your drums arent sounding right in the first place, then its not gonna matter what mics you use, where you place em etc.. if your instrument sounds like crap, dont expect your recording to sound otherwise. should the instruments sound good on their own, be it tuning or placement in the room, the you'll find your choice of micing/mixing options much, much easier and less likely to run into these sorta problems.

if you do like what the drums sound like, but the kick is too boomy in the room, then no amount of postioning or eq is gonna fix that. you could get it to work, but it'd be a compromise. best bet is to fix the problem at the source, ie, the drums. Tuning plays a very important part for drums (as it does for everything)...Toms resonate...and they are resonating from the kick. tune up your drums right, and the problem, if not solved, will be less noticable.

Lets say you tune everything up, the drums sound great in the room. you turn up the over heads and still...too much kick. repostioning the mics helps a litlle, key here is to find the best spot for your whole kit...remember, most of your drum sound is coming from the overheads, its a good idea to get a good balance on them. once you do, but still find too much kick, time too pull out a filter.

The thing here is that if you have tuned up your drums right, postion the mics the best you can, you'll find that you will need to filter just a little to tighten up the bottom. YOU WILL GET THE KICK IN YOUR OVERHEADS. you should try to use what you assume is spill into ambiance for your kick close mic. make it work for you.

if after all that, and its still too boomy.... no choice. automate the frequency on the filter. cut the lows on the overheads when you not playing the toms, kicking it in only when the toms come in. that might sound strange, but if you got a wall of guitars going at the same time, it shouldnt matter.

have fun!!

Okie one quesion.

for my kick and snare channel, it would be good to use a gate right ? To cut out the bleeds for more sonic control.

what about over heads ? what do i do with them ? nothing ??

hi there,
the sound wise, i guess in a micing position, the tuning don't really matters. it is the EQ that matters. although tuning might help, but always remember that a gd sound engineer can make a crappy drum sounds good! try to learn more about eq and experiment. just my 2 cents.

Re: overheads picks up too much of the kick drum

seekz said:
Hey i have a problem.

When i mic up my drums, my over heads picks up too much of the bass kick drum. making it a very heavy boom. I even have to to a low shelf cut to get a proper sound...

I know EQing away is not the solution. But the things is !! i dont know the problem !!

Could it be room acoustics that my bass kick is so prominent ?

well, wat r ur overheads for mainly...?
for any other kits within the drums, u have an individual miking...
so u basically using ur overhead mics for ur cymbals..
n using ur sence of hearing.. how much low is the frquency response for a cymbals..
u dun need a 800 to a 1k sounds on ur structure there dude..
roll it off then..
n itz the sizzling effects u want from these cymbals.. but of coz dun over do it..
n gate is not an option.. too much u bring up the treshold on a gate, u will have problem with the release n attack parameter n it will gv u a electonic freaky noise within the circuits too.. n it doesn't sounds natural on the release issue...
as we noe.. every single good sound does based on the parameters of ADSR as well..
cheers

Okie i admit, the drums arent even tuned at all.. hehe.

So ive tried tuning(reading instructions from other websites)
and heres another recording...

Its a slipshot thing, just anyhow whack.
But its definitely much better than the previous one.

And the stereo separation is very obvious when it coms to the toms.
For you experts out there i wana ask if its too PANNED out on the stereo field? Plz advise.

Oh for those who wana know. My Overheads are Pencil condensers by Samson, C02. And i use a super cardiod AKG D880 for the snare, and a louya mic for the kick this time.

The current recording only went tru mild compression to tame some of the harshness of the cymbals, and underwent no EQ.

The kick is somewhat not fat enough, but i believe that a lil EQ at round 80hz should suffice.

http://www.seekz.net/shit.mp3

Okay i'm not drum god, but just randomly whacking cos no time to do anything more. Basically starting this thread to learn from you more "Lao jiao guys"

Oh yeah one more thing... got my mum's voice scolding me in the background sorry... cos late at night already i still playing drums hahahahahhaha

oh yeah one more thing. when i play the toms, the swoshy part of the snare will sound... How do i stop that ?

Oh yeah and the snare is off centre.... is there anything wrong with it ?

After listening to it again, i think the whole recording sounds like shit too...
I apologise once again for the crappy drumming.
I believe the drumming technic also causes the shitty recording... hehe

One more thing is that i can hear a tiny bits of flutter echo appearing in certain parts of the track. Any suggestions to tame such a problem ?

Will do a better one next time.

Please if you have any, please do give pointers.
i think i really need it.

Back