Ibanez: LU20 Pedal Tuner

subversion

lu20.gif

Ibanez LU20
List: $84

The Ibanez LU20 is a new product this 2007 by the brand name which is more renowned for its electric guitars. As this is the debut pedal-type tuner by the manufacturer, the hype generation by pedal geeks is inevitable but let publicity not cloud our judgment…

Build/ features
The LU20 isn’t exactly sporting a typical pedal dimension; in fact, its 14cm by 8cm dimension necessitates some clearance on your pedal board. The housing material is arguably anodized aluminum judging by its weight & texture. The controls here are kept to a minimum (3 press-type activators for calibration, detune option & on/ off) to conjure a very utilitarian feel but the generous rubber base buffer is a wise inclusion for a device which adopts a foot switch activation/ deactivation mechanism. Battery access (underside location) is via a screw hatch whose slot accommodates coin usage as a make-do screw driver in times of need.

Rating: 85%

In use
The LU20 is only alive upon cable insertion in its input so if you are the lazy bum who refuses to detach your cable after playing, your 9V battery drains in no time. This tuner offers 2 output types; Dry/ Normal. The former utility allows the tuning process to be heard through the amp but for the rest of us who prefers silent tuning, the latter option is it. The LU20 has impressive illumination & response time. The footswitch here is the highlight of the device as it is a silent mechanism & offers true bypass; there is absolutely no loss in tone. The detune & calibration features mean the LU20 isn’t a device doomed for standard tuning options only.

Rating: 90%

Conclusion
If you’re looking for a no-nonsense pedal-type tuner, the LU20 is a serious contender. Its ease of use should make it an attraction per se, coupled with the true bypass option; it’s a rewarding device to pay for. The manufacturer has a serious conductivity issue to put forth as all the LU20’s input/ output rivulets are gold plated. What may seem to be an unintentional proposal, the bigger faceplate labels are also a bonus for the money. Please do not approach the LU20 with a strobe-standard mentality.

Overall rating: 89%

• Degree of illumination
• Ease-of use

Dislikes:
• Side located power input
• Screw-type battery access

Worthy contenders:
• Planet Waves: Chromatic Pedal Tuner
• BOSS: TU-2
• Fender: PT-100

aye, the paint flakes of pretty easily on mine. some will go off when you unscrew the base plate, or if you take of the rubber base too hastily.

but hey, it's made in china

it's not about the country of origin, it's about what they use to make it. my made in Indonesia Ibanez is fine, so is my made in korea DVD player 8)

yeah true and i think you've mentioned those exact examples before somewhere else (i tried to do search cannot find heh heh) and like 80% of our electronic goods nowadays is made in china.

not trying to generalise lah just saying maybe metaphorically possibly that their products are more prone to inconsistencies.

i just peeled off some velcro off the base. hoohoo.. like an angmoh who spent too long at the beach

Back