I feel sad for my generation (Read pls)

AlexiLaiho

You guys had GNR Metallica Megadeth and other awesome bands that were in their PRIME . Now all we have are Korn Limp Bizkit Simple Plan and the other shitty bands. You guys could on the radio and ehar Sweet Child O Mine man. know what im saying

Well, don't feel too sad - none of the 'cool' stuff was ever played on the radio anyway - one of the key drivers behind a succession of 'radio-friendly' sucky albums from Metallica *and* Megadeth.

Besides, you can always go out and buy those great albums. I'm not quite old enough to have been around when Zeppelin were in their prime (around 70-73) but that didn't stop me buying all their stuff and listening to nothing but that for about 4 years. :)

The only real regret is not being able to see those bands live in their prime.

dude they have crappy hair metal bands, equipvalent to our simple plan.
:smt078

Some awesome bands in this generation : incubus, rhcp, audioslave, velvet revolvers, foo fighters, alter bridge, children of bodom and maybe sum 41? :supz:

i guess each generation has its goods and bads :smt102

but if u noticed. pple back then we more on playing their music. noawdays bands u hear r just corporate sell outs changing their music to suit de crowds n masses.

penta-tonic said:
but if u noticed. pple back then we more on playing their music. noawdays bands u hear r just corporate sell outs changing their music to suit de crowds n masses.

It depends where you look. If you watch MTV or listen to the radio (my advice is don't unless you want to hear Classical Music, which is the only real value of radio IMHO) then you'll see all those commercial crap bands with their crap non-music.

Look elsewhere - like in this forum.

Well.... part of the reason is because the variation in music is pretty much exhausted. The PIONEERS have already done their stuffs, thus they will always have a place in the history books.

Which also explains why today at jamming studios you can still hear bands doing covers of metallica, GnR (sweet child), Radiohead (creep), nirvana (smells like...), Deep Purple (smoke over water)...etc.

All these are ground breaking music, and will remain popular for a very long time. I see that few bands are doing (all the small tings). Cause these are just FAD tracks, but much later occasionally will still have some band will cover it.

This is the magic of music. Even the pop industry evolving, recently being hip hop.

Don't be sad, cause THERE IS NO SCHOOL LIKE OLD SCHOOL. Listen, promote and be proud.

lol .

i heard from my fren led zepplin once came to singapore . but was turned away at the airport cos of long hair ... like WTF ?

its LED ZEPPeLIN man !

stars said:
lol .

i heard from my fren led zepplin once came to singapore . but was turned away at the airport cos of long hair ... like WTF ?

its LED ZEPPeLIN man !

8O

btw, any idea which yr they came?

oh yea singapore didnt allow hippies to enter singapore dats y my dad had to cut his hair too when he wanted to come to singapore to work during the 70's

yeah sounds like what Chris Ho terms Singapore's Dark Ages, when any kind of Western influence was considered bad. Apparently you werent allowed to have long hair, punk hair, or no hair, and certainly no earrings. You couldnt even mention the word 'sex' or 'disco' in any of the local media. i can say we've come a long way since then, but some things still remain the same. the main newspaper is a mouth piece for the govt., and tv is still full of shit. Singapore got an awesome ranking on the world press freedom index http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=11715 ranking below columbia and the congo republic interestingly enough. anyway my final point is, any place that turns away Led Zep is certainly fucked up, but of course its up to us to make it better.

Mjollnir said:
oh yea singapore didnt allow hippies to enter singapore dats y my dad had to cut his hair too when he wanted to come to singapore to work during the 70's

Even a great musician like Kitaro was turned away in the 80's for refusing to tie up his hair.

Singapore Music

Well guys,

Keep on hoping and working towards a better future for all us musicians and that the world will one day recognise Singaporean music at the Grammys.

We are slowly but surely getting there. Keep on workin'. Everyone is contributing in some way or another.

hifi_killer said:
Some awesome bands in this generation : incubus, rhcp, audioslave, velvet revolvers, foo fighters, alter bridge, children of bodom and maybe sum 41?

well rhcp arent exactly this generation. they're pretty much past their prime, their prime being blood sugar sex magik. anyway 20 years down the road, how many of the above bands mentioned(cept rhcp who have been arnd for so long) will actually still be around.

another thing is that music has changed so much since the led zep days. how many bands actually have 20 min drum and guitar solos man in a song? none. but its probably due to the fact that pple were more tolerant of the long solos bcos half the time they were high on drugs and all.

lars_ulrich said:
another thing is that music has changed so much since the led zep days. how many bands actually have 20 min drum and guitar solos man in a song? none. but its probably due to the fact that pple were more tolerant of the long solos bcos half the time they were high on drugs and all.

and lotsa time for practise...now in this modern times , we are filled with busy schedule. :D

Re: Singapore Music

Enigma said:
Well guys,

Keep on hoping and working towards a better future for all us musicians and that the world will one day recognise Singaporean music at the Grammys.

We are slowly but surely getting there. Keep on workin'. Everyone is contributing in some way or another.

yeah i also realise that we should not shoot down musicians in our local music industry...allow them to fly.

oooh. i'm so sad, i'm living in the 80s and music today totally sucks! i wish we could go back in time, when music was good. remember bon jovi? yeah man they rocked my world. but nobody plays them on the radio anymore. now we have bands like Korn Against the Bizkit or some nappy shit like POD who wear socks on their heads and whine like 4 year olds with soiled diapers. i mean, whatever happened to the glory of spandex and huge hair, and singing in falsettos that even Mariah Carey can't reach?

man, i really miss the 80s.

but i guess i'll just sit here and whine about how pathetic my generation is for not appreciating the 80s until the 80s become cool again. then we can all listen to Wham! and feel good and i'll be happy once again.

ah, the good old days. :cry:

lars u've got point there.. the drugs thingy :drinkers:

bon jovi? isnt the best thing about the 80s. Its nothing personal here , but many people hate bon jovi with a passion, thats why nirvana came to power. Because people are sick of the 80s hair metal

at the risk of being called an ignorant fool:
80s music was basically crappy(sorry to use that word) Its a show off techniques, guitar solos, drum solos, bass solos , falsetto, outrageous
costumes and testerone. Its lyrics(most of it) do no have any depth, basically revolves , sex drugs and the partying lifestyle.

Of course there are some exceptions in the 80s, just like there are exceptions in todays modern rock

Back