I feel sad for my generation (Read pls)

i think the reason why nirvana came to power is because the people are sick of 80s hair metal.

SO lets blame the hair metal dudes

hifi_killer said:
i think the reason why nirvana came to power is because the people are sick of 80s hair metal.

SO lets blame the hair metal dudes

blame hair metal for what? nirvana? if are referring to hair metal as bon jovi then sure pple got sick of them. i mean, who wudnt? but certainly the big three in metallica, megadeth and slayer were anything but hair metal and if anything, i wud think they influenced the nirvana sound. so the 80s was not all that bad. and the 90s was not all about 'the answer" to the 80s

nirvana ain't metal! It's like calling Metallica opera...

It's alternative man...or what people call grunge music (or sloppy music if you like the slang). It's like punk only in the anti-establishment sense and it's like metal only to the "distortion" sense.

I think the emergence of alternative saved the future; alt music is the innovation man! Look at modern bands, they all have influences starting from alternative... like how punk and alternative grunge styles evolved to emo music.

and how bands like Blink 182, Sum 41 embraced punk and metal and emo together..

I'm sure nobody calls Kurt Cobain and Co. a great guitarist but he sure was innovative (that's is a hall mark of modern emo players too, like THE USED), PLUS, the product of Nirvana was Dave Grohl and gang (Foo Fighters now)... not many people can play rythmn like Grohl....and he was the drummer of nirvana!!!! OMG!

guitar_phreak said:
nirvana ain't metal! It's like calling Metallica opera...

nono i wasnt calling nirvana metal. i was just saying there were obvious metal influences which were brought over from the hey-day of the 80s metal bands of metallica and co.

here we go again

1st of all, no one is saying that Nirvana sucks. Just that thier existence have put the the 80's bands to threat and dif era. Thats why, if some one is to blame it should be them. They also make awareness of the importance of creativity and innovation in rock music. But the passive side is, not everyone is as gifted as curt cobaine, it comes one in a million or more. Alot of the later bands put too much focus on innovation and sound engeneering hehe :lol: until they fail to see the importance of skill. Therefore they appear rather lame as a musician. Especially guitarists, Like Oasis ....LOL

Dave grohl once said " through kurt we see the beauty of music stripped down"

innovation ? oasis? i think they're just ripping of the beatles, recycling their own songs. Buty they do have some good guitar work

since when was skill so important?

Another downfall story of 80s metal is the band Mr. Big.

They started with a "dream" of making good radio friendly music without giving up or selling out on their shredder metal rock.

Alot of us metal heads know of Eric Martin, Paul Gilbert/Kotzen, Billy Sheehan and Pat Torpey, but even given their skills, they were not very big compared to other bands then...like Nirvana.

In fact, their only number 1 was "to be with you" which wasn't even rock/metal. Their other songs were "wild wild world"...

So, I would think Mr. Big was a victim of changing times.... or maybe even a product of it.

yes it's really sad for mr. big that they only made it really big in Japan or other asian countries. They have some really great songs like green tinted sixties mind and colorado bulldog. Personally i'm a fan of Paul and nowadays he's geared towards more pop/rock tunes but of course with his shredding guitar skills incorporated. As for 80's hair metal i think we should be thinking about bands like poison, dokken and motley crue, they were called hair metal mostly cos of their look (long hair, flamboyant suits) but they did have some good guitar players(mick mars, cc deville, george lynch). So every genre of music has it's own way to reach out to people, for some maybe the flamboyance of their lead guitarists or the songwriting of kurt cobain or even for musicians maybe the simplicity of certain compositions. No one is to judge whether technicality shld override songwriting or such. my 2 cents..

makes me think of Extreme which suffer the same fate

guitar_phreak said:
Another downfall story of 80s metal is the band Mr. Big.

They started with a "dream" of making good radio friendly music without giving up or selling out on their shredder metal rock.

Alot of us metal heads know of Eric Martin, Paul Gilbert/Kotzen, Billy Sheehan and Pat Torpey, but even given their skills, they were not very big compared to other bands then...like Nirvana.

In fact, their only number 1 was "to be with you" which wasn't even rock/metal. Their other songs were "wild wild world"...

So, I would think Mr. Big was a victim of changing times.... or maybe even a product of it.

Im quite a fan of Mr. Big too. They just dont sound Mr. Biganymore when Gilbert left. But Eric martin had a new Band with Tak Matsumoto namely TMG, u will be able to find some trace of the Mr. Big sound from that album compare to the once with ritchis kotzen.

at least Mr. Big got Big in the thier time around. I think extreme had a harder time. Same as Mr. bigs fate, they are only well known for " more than words" Where else stuffs like, Play with me decadent dance, cupids dead are just buried in the sands of time.

SKILL IS IMPORTANT!!!!! thats why ur playing sucks without the all those effects and sound engeneering to help your tonality :wink:

Back