How much does an orginal Floyd Rose cost? How do I install it on a strat?

Anycall

As above and where which shops has better deal?

Also, do I need to rout the bridge on my strat if i wan to install FR? I saw some pictures on the internet and is seems possible without doing so.

Here is a strat that looks like its not routed, the FR sits on top of the body

_c444668_image_0.jpg

Here is an ibanez one, clearly routed as you can see.

ibanez%20jem%207vwh.jpg

Can anyone confirm this? Is it possible to install FR on a strat without routing?

Technically, if the measurements fit, you do not need to route it unless you want to be able to trem up.

Bring your strat that has 2 pin inserts to measure at the shop.

OFR are about 200+ each.

Not to go against your plan of the OFR. But if you don't need in the floating position, why wouldn't you then need the OFR? W/o routing, the trem is harder to dive nor bend up. If you just want it for the tuning purposes, I strongly recommend you just place the locking nut up at the headstock and leave the Vintage Trem on to save cost :D Just my opinion, don't have to follow it.

My apologies, I meant, why would you need the OFR. Instead of 'why wouldn't you then need the OFR?'

Not to go against your plan of the OFR. But if you don't need in the floating position, why wouldn't you then need the OFR? W/o routing, the trem is harder to dive nor bend up. If you just want it for the tuning purposes, I strongly recommend you just place the locking nut up at the headstock and leave the Vintage Trem on to save cost :D Just my opinion, don't have to follow it.

obviously you don't even know what you are talking about

There's this saying...
If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. :p

Joking. It's a real saying though.

But if you're not using it to do divebombs etc, then what's the point? The point of having a FR is to have it in floating position.

There's this saying...
If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. :p

another one who doesn't know what he's talking about... why would you need a floyd to be in floating position to do a dive bomb?

Joking. It's a real saying though.

But if you're not using it to do divebombs etc, then what's the point? The point of having a FR is to have it in floating position.

another one who doesn't know what he is talking about.. why would you need your floyd to float to do divebomb?

Frankly speaking, TS i would not recommend you routing a cavity for your floyd rose UNLESS you are going to a very experienced tech who can make the EXACT measurements. This is because if the guitar was not factory made with the floyd cavity the routing if done incorrectly will cause a hell lot of problems later.

A slight wrong measurement and your entire setting will be affected. Not just tuning but also setting up the guitar would be a b*tch. Playability thus would be impacted as well. Thats why many people would go recommend you to buy an entirely new guitar with a floyd already installed. This is for practicality purposes and not just so much on cost savings.

This was told to me from a DIY expert when in days past i too contemplated an installation of a floyd on my strat.

The strat in your first picture may have come with the floyd rose installed. In the 80s and early 90s Fender did make some HSS models with floyd installed on them. ( Assuming of course thats a fender strat )

Back