HIP-HOP???

superkicky said:
It'd be cool if there was a gig where the turntablists and vocalists could 'jam' in a sense... get the best of both worlds; improv and mad DJ skillz. 8)

sghiphop once did it. it was a dnb and rap conbination.

FNDMNTLS have ceased performing. but one of em is doing a great job with The Killer Gerbil.

yeah true, they shan't listen to music that arent to their liking. but the masses love debating about what they think is irrelevant in singapore, like gangsta rap. saw it before. the guy even got questioned of his motives of rapping bout lowriders.

ooh yeaa..the DnB n HipHop Festival at Youth Park. Had an impromptu poetry slam with Killer Gerbil and Mokzter(FNDMNTLS).hehe.

props ARTVSTS Class of 2000

Wow - there's a lot of ignorance about hip hop.

Basically, first thing, there will always be genres of music that you understand, and genres that you don't. You should give each genre a try, and if you still don't get it, you should recognise that it's just not for you. For the same reason, I will never criticise metal or country music even though I totally don't get the point.

Second, there are the different elements of music: melody, rhythm, harmony, texture. Obviously rap has little to do with melody, so criticising rap music on that count is as daft as criticising classical music for not making you shake your ass.

Rap music is not always simple, as anybody who has listened to "Fear of a Black Planet" can tell you. At any one point there would be five or six things going on at the same time you need a very good ear to keep track.

Hip hop is usually derived from many other things: mainly jazz, funk, soul. If you like these genres, you should definitely give hip hop a try. But hip hop by its nature will encompass everything, because hip hop is about everything. Hip hop has been fused with classical music before ("Unfinished Sympathy"), heavy metal ("Bring tha Noize", Anthrax version), 80s pop music ("street dreams"), broadway musicals ("Hard Knock Life"). The range of possibilities for hip hop makes it a very creatively fertile genre.

Hip hop isn't all about guns and pimps and hos, although the extent to which these themes dominate hip hop is not a good trend. There is a lot of political commentary (not that Singapore music knows anything about that), some humorous and philosophical stuff. Hip Hop is not about being emo, but then again Metal is not about being happy - many genres of music cover less than the full range of human emotions. If you listen to A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Madvillian, it's not always gangsta rap.

I went to the George Clinton concert in 2008. It's a good thing that there were so few hip hop fans in Singapore that when a hip hop legend comes to Singapore, nobody turns up and I get my cheap seats upgraded. I saw a youtube clip of Najib Ali attempting to get George Clinton to rap to "Why u so like dat?" Now that is daft for several reasons. First, George Clinton doesn't rap. He makes a lot of great funk music which is sampled by hip hop artists. You know that when you're ranking universities, you count the number of times a scientific paper has been cited? Well in hip hop it also works like that. George Clinton is a legend in hip hop because parliament funkadelic has been sampled more than anybody else other than maybe James Brown. Second, that is plain disrespectful. I like "Why U So Like Dat" as a novelty record but it is really crap compared to what George Clinton has done in the past. It's as though Mozart were visiting Singapore and you're asking him if he can sing "I'm Too Sexy". But I also felt sorry for the Kopi Kat Klan.

But on the whole I felt that the whole episode reflected badly on Singaporeans' ability to understand hip hop.

I don't like hip-hop. But neither do I hate it. It's just not my cup of tea. Hence I don't understand why there's so much hate for hip-hop on this forum.

Last edited:
you totally have the wrong idea of hip hop bro. the mainstream "hip hop" that you see on the tv are actually the most bullcrap things that shouldnt be existing in hip hop as they are killing the real hip hop culture. In hiphop there are few ways for you to express yourselves through art such as Breakdancing, Rapping, Graffiti, DJing an a few more other ways. As for rap, it is simply rhythm and poetry. I know that we cant stop someone from writing what they think or what they wanna write and show about but the ones that are on mtv are really not what should be spreading as it is potrying the wrong idea of hip hop. so please dont get the wrong idea of hiip hop. there are alot of good creative arts produced by hip hop artists and i'll be glad to share it with you. hip hop does not have any form of what we should sound, behave or dress like although most of the follwers are taking the example from the blacks and hispanic americans as they were the pioneers of this movement but that doesnt mean it has to be followed to be part of hip hop. i think hip hop can be a very positive culture IF the stop following whats on mtv and just have fun together expressing themselves artisticly thru the four or more elements. some people would consider skateboarding or pakour as a form of hip hop within themselves as well. i hope i get this message thru as it is important for us to respect each others opinions, views, beliefs and sub-cultures. please excuse my typo errors! my iphone is killing me! haha cheers!

I have a link to share, It's a song called Hip hop lives by KRS-one a legend in Hip hop culture. To me this song is a masterpiece, I hope you enjoy the video too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imVsqsC334E&sns=em

While I have respect for what Knowledge Rules Supreme Over Nearly Everyone has done, he's not one of my favourite rappers. Marley Marl, on the other hand, was responsible for one of the greatest rap tracks ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg

Listen to Bliss n Eso for true hip-hop in Australian style. They write poetry raps.

Fields of Dream
Reflections

I hope these 2 songs change your mindset towards hip-hop. Peace.

Latest posts

Back