Hello guitar buffs...care to help a noob?

itchy_go

hi everyone :)

i recently stumbled upon this site n i've been reading for a couple days to find some help/advice but there's nuthin i found that helps...

so i decided to make a new topic.. :oops:

i have a gibson sg n im thinkin of doing some modding to it...im hardly a guitar buff, so i know nuts abt the techie stuff...

i'd like to change my pickups...n i need advice..im looking for a crisp/clean sound for my trebles n a chunky sound for my bass...any recommendations?

oh n can i change the vol/tone knobs on my guit to the metal fender type? would it fit?

enlighten me, o wise ones :D

You can try Dimarzio Breeds for a good chunky low end with excellent power. It has a vintage vibe to it too... plus the cleans are very very good. Comes in both neck and bridge...

I used the Breeds in my mahogany bodied Ibanez S series. Very nice stuff... just that I wanted even more chunk in the end, got myself a Tonezone. ;)

And yes, you can change the knobs... just get those with the side screw...

There's quite a bit you can do to your axe... adding in Pushpull pots for coil splitting, phase reversal and what not. Provided you have the space lah. ;)

ok first tell me what the hell is a buff??
well. why u wanna change?
i thot gibson's got great sounding tones???

uzzo88 said:
ok first tell me what the hell is a buff??

a buff, in this case, is someone who is really into all the finer details of the electric guitar...

uzzo88 said:
well. why u wanna change?
i thot gibson's got great sounding tones???

it does...but i want it to sound the way I want it to...n now that im all grown up n have the means to do it, i will... :wink:

ShredCow, pls tell me more.. :D

Ahhh... its a personal kind of thing Uzzo... A brand might have repute for great sounding tones but to the individual, it might not cut it.

Well.. itchy... If you like to hear how the Breeds sound in a mahogany guitar (my S520EX) visit, http://music.download.com/Shredcows for stuff. Only X2N showcase features my S520EX with X2N bridge pup, not Breed.

Mod-wise, here's what I did to my guitar.
http://www.soft.com.sg/new/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7173

Basically, you should check up coil splitting, phase reversal, series/parallel wiring, pushpull pots, mini toggle switches and visit some pickup makers. Check Dimarzio or Seymor Duncan.

There's been a lot of discussion in SOFT forum too.. a lot... you should try a search. ;)

ShredCow said:
There's been a lot of discussion in SOFT forum too.. a lot... you should try a search. ;)

I did search the forums..but the results didn't actually give me the answers i was looking for.. :lol:

im gonna be asking a lot of questions abt this so i didnt wanna hijack anyone's thread...

anyway, if there is a designated thread for this kinda thing then pls show me the way :)

thanks

I think it might be better to upgrade your amp first. Minimum 12" speakers.

I'm using a Gibson SG 61 Reissue, and I pretty much like the Gibson 57' Classics. Sounds good clean to me while still retaining much of the SG jibe.

your VS15 amp's speaker is the 8" variety. there's no minimum speaker size to begin with, it depends on what kinda tone you embrace. 12" speakers are renowned for its balance, anything smaller than this, the bass response will be curbed & your overall tone will sound rather trebly.

the first thing i did to my Gibson SG was replacing the default humbuckers... people who invested in the Gibson brand name often perceived the default fittings as sacred, but IMO if it's unsuitable for you, you're better off with a replacement.

DuncansinSG.jpg

itchy_go said:
hmmm...from wat i've noticed, most modding threads in this forum aren't for Gibson guits... 8O

sir... gibson is out of reach for many of us :D

And if I happen to afford a gibson, I wouldn't dare to do any mod to it cause it maybe the only gibson I can afford :lol:

subversion said:
people who invested in the Gibson brand name often perceived the default fittings as sacred, but IMO if it's unsuitable for you, you're better off with a replacement.

exactly :)

DuncansinSG.jpg
[/quote]

is it easy to replace the pickups? what kinda pickup would you recommend a guy who plays music ranging from Foo Fighters to My Chemical Romance?

popeye said:
sir... gibson is out of reach for many of us :D

no lahhh...believe me, i'm not from a well-to-do family...bought my guit when my family was still staying in a 3-room flat ;)

however, i do hope to hand this Gibson down to my kids and hopefully their kids n so on...an heirloom of sorts :lol:

popeye said:
And if I happen to afford a gibson, I wouldn't dare to do any mod to it cause it maybe the only gibson I can afford :lol:

i understand where you're coming from you..i had my reservations at first but as they say, you can't gain anything without taking any risks either...:p

dark_knight said:
Owns man ;) gd luck with ur guitars dude...

indeed he does..;)

oh n it's "guitar"...no money to get a 2nd guitar...not yet :p

it's easy if you can decipher some electronics procedures & handy with a soldering iron. otherwise, leave it to the pros. btw, if you purchase Seymour Duncan pickups, they have a free installation promo 8)

for your kinda musical preferences, i'd say you can't go wrong with any high output pickups, regardless of the brand name. tell us your preferences & we'll help you from there.

Latest posts

Back