Having sued for organising a gig

hay88

I've been wondering abt this all the while...will record companies. f*ck the organizer or bands for covering songs of their artists?etc. Lets say u cover vertical rush stuff and wakemeup comes to u with a lawsuit...no offence wmum just an example

i think they can if they want .. i oso dono.. anyone to enlighten me?

but to me covering the band songs is a honour to the band leh.. got pple wan to cover ur song..

anyway i oso dono la.. everytime see pple cover here and there like don care one hhaah

haha i understand it's a decade old practice but in the states sometimes u can get sued for covering without permission or copyright..these days u can't even haf the freedom to expressing your fav music....sighz... :(

In UK they have something called the Performing Rights Society which pubs, bars etc pay a membership subscription which allows them to play records, songs, karaoke and also I think it covers live music. The PRS filters up royalties to the artists.

The way that royalties are paid is very convoluted. In reality, it's almost impossible to portion the money fairly. How they do it is based on a number of things including record sales proportions, perceived artist popularity and some other stuff.

Technically the record company can sue any proprietor (I believe) who plays music (live covers or records) that is not a member of PRS.

There is probably a similar thing in Singapore.

as far as i know. as long as you're playing other people song in public, you need to ask their permission or apply the licences from compass. when a bands cover a song from someone else in the gigs, the organiser need to apply license from compass for their event and if he did not, he or she might get into troubles with compass. 8O ..... very very sensitive issue when you come to copyright ..... Be safe, Not sorry. :)

If you guys are interested, I can put together a workshop/seminar, get people from IPOS, COMPASS, and someone from the law firm to address whatever questions that may interest you.

HeartRockSingapore said:
If you guys are interested, I can put together a workshop/seminar, get people from IPOS, COMPASS, and someone from the law firm to address whatever questions that may interest you.

yeah that helps.. i know alot local bands cover others song.. everytime got wad metallica, pantera gig.. wad seh.. if kena suit.. woooooo

den still got some record songs covers..

anyway.. playing at gigs still ok.. but if wanna record ur band den becareful

i think a seminar on getting a safe license for organizing a gig is gonna be very helpful...maybe the lecturer can give a set of safe procedures in which an organizer or band has to follow in order to forge a glass shied against a nasty lawsuit.Of cos cost wise has to be a consideration..imagine a band having to pay $500 to cover M.O.P..ridiculous yea haha

hay88 said:
i think a seminar on getting a safe license for organizing a gig is gonna be very helpful...maybe the lecturer can give a set of safe procedures in which an organizer or band has to follow in order to forge a glass shied against a nasty lawsuit.Of cos cost wise has to be a consideration..imagine a band having to pay $500 to cover M.O.P..ridiculous yea haha

to cover so cheap meh? i toh its equal to sell the song to people.. so like how many years... den they can perform though

imo i think metallica would really appreciate ppl covering their songs...it reassures them tt their copositions r widely appreciated but some record companies wanna be selfish and keep music strictly to cd sales.

hay88 said:
imo i think metallica would really appreciate ppl covering their songs...it reassures them tt their copositions r widely appreciated but some record companies wanna be selfish and keep music strictly to cd sales.

metallica?

http://www.scoopthis.com/411/met_uf/stc_met_uf_mtv.htm
i aint against metallica or anything...but don't you think it's takin it a lil too far?anyway it happened some time ago...i didnt follow up to the story..

no offense metallicans here ok?i m jst askin..i also have black album.. :?

edited: ok i just found out that it was a hoax :oops: ..anyway..if it really happened wouldnt that be a scary thought?bands laying claims to chord progressions?

GrimBrody said:
i aint against metallica or anything...but don't you think it's takin it a lil too far??

Hahaha, doode, Lars Ulrich/ Metallica is/ are the mofos who bankrupted Napster last decade.

GrimBrody doode, you din have to apologise for saying tt. I thk some Metallica fans are embarrassed that their fave band had stooped to something this corporate...

"Metal Up Your Ass"? My ass!

hay88 said:

its not about the band itself oredy u noe? its about their label, they record company or wadsover.. cuz to the company.. its all about profit.. who cares if their music are aprreciated? :wink:

GrimBrody said:
hay88 said:

metallica?

i aint against metallica or anything...but don't you think it's takin it a lil too far?anyway it happened some time ago...i didnt follow up to the story..

no offense metallicans here ok?i m jst askin..i also have black album.. :?

edited: ok i just found out that it was a hoax :oops: ..anyway..if it really happened wouldnt that be a scary thought?bands laying claims to chord progressions?

so its true or hoax ah? wad kau.. den all guitar players cannot use E and F.. its too ridiuclous to be true to me :wink:

erm kx, megadeth,motley crue and black sabbath will sue us anyway,coz ling covered their song very badly,hahahaha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back