Good service VS Bad service

WeiLiang

I have a boss RC-2 looper pedal which i want to leave on my pedalboard, but don't want it to affect my sound if i'm not using it, so i decided to get it mod just to add a simple true hardwire bypass switch, instead of unplugging it everytime i don't want to use it. I knew that having a stompswitch to make it a true bypass was impossible due to the lack of space, so all i wanted was a simple toggle switch as i didn't mind switching using my hand. With that in mind, i went down to penisula to look for a shop to help me.

The first shop (i shan't name) i went to was a decently big shop, with big workspace as can be seen through the glass panels of the shop, and the workers there seem to be working on guitars/pedals all the time, so perhapse i thought they were more experienced and could help. When i asked them if they could install the switch i had in mind, they said its not possible. i explained to them that all i wanted was to have a toggle switch that in 1 position, will connect the input & output cable, making it a true bypass, and it didn't have to be a stompswitch. The staff didn't even bother listening to my explaination and said it's not possible. Common sense told me that all all you have to do is wire the input & output to make it true bypass, and the only problem would probably be space for that switch. However, they just concluded without even taking a look. That was how bad their attitude was. They then offered me their custom single looper, which will take 1 more space in my pedalboard, cost $70, make me spend more money on patch cables, and have a waiting time of 3-4 days. Perhapse their denial of making a pedal true bypass was so that their looper pedal would have sales..

The second shop i went to was a totally different experience. When i walked in, they greeted me and ask how can they help. I explained the mod i wanted, and they misunderstood me and went on to explain that the original stompswitch is used for other purposes, so it can't be changed. However, they bothered to listen to me explain to them that a toggle switch was good enough, and offered to take a look inside the pedal to see if they can help. They opened it up, and said they'll do it for $35, with a 1 hour wait. When i returned to the shop 1 hour later, everything was done as i had wanted, and i couldn't ask for more. Compared from the solution from the first shop, i saved a space on my pedalboard, 50% of the cost, and 98% waiting time.

The second shop is Sound Alchemy, and their service is much better compared to the first shop i went, so thank you sound alchemy! I hope that there are more shops like them around.

PS: To the curious souls out there, after modding the Boss pedal, it was easier to hear what the boss pedal does to my guitar tone. The buffered circuitry made my guitar sound slightly brighter, but losses a huge amount of warmth, so this switch was worth it to me. But then again, Tone is a personal thing=)

I guessed the 2nd shop was sound alchemy, great service there. Most ppl probably know the 1st shop but i wont say.

btw, the toggle just switches from true bypass when not in use and buffered bypass when in use right? any reason why u didnt just mod it to true bypass switching instead?

Sucks because I know exactly the '1st shop' you're referring to and I as much as I don't want to admit it but yes... at times those guys need to research more in pedal modifications.

Thumbs up to Sound Alchemy. Scott's a really great guy if you got any questions.
I emailed him and he gave prompt and honest replies.

Sucks because I know exactly the '1st shop' you're referring to and I as much as I don't want to admit it but yes... at times those guys need to research more in pedal modifications.

it's not a crime to not know how to do pedal modifications. who knoes maybe the owner of the store might not even be interested in that market itself. however, all these are assumptions.

pedal modification, even though can be common sense to some(even without doing it before), it still require hands on working, research, reading etc to understand whats going on, whichs points to connect the parts etc to mod.

The level of knowledge is a variable and not a constant, as much we can expect standard form the shops knowing what we want, we have to be realistic as well that they might not have come across what we wanna do.

pedal modification, even though can be common sense to some(even without doing it before), it still require hands on working, research, reading etc to understand whats going on, whichs points to connect the parts etc to mod.

The level of knowledge is a variable and not a constant, as much we can expect standard form the shops knowing what we want, we have to be realistic as well that they might not have come across what we wanna do.

Exactly. Great advice once again.
IMO, pedal modification is really hard. Even looking at the schematics give me headache. :p Heheh. I think we should focus on the positive side of things.

professional = sound alchemy
try to act pro = not to mention

Scott is the man for pedal modification. No doubt. you cant go wrong with this guy.. Just an advise, those always custom their pickups, pots, refret, mod custom body etc to tt shop **** and are you sure they are doing a good job.? i would say NO. Since they're many votes for them n satisfied with their service. but, sure they did a good job? just take note. yes they're really nice ppl... nv will step in again.

professional = sound alchemy
try to act pro = not to mention

Scott is the man for pedal modification. No doubt. you cant go wrong with this guy.. Just an advise, those always custom their pickups, pots, refret, mod custom body etc to tt shop **** and are you sure they are doing a good job.? i would say NO. Since they're many votes for them n satisfied with their service. but, sure they did a good job? just take note. yes they're really nice ppl... nv will step in again.

Contradict yourself much.

Back