Gibson Les Paul Standard

subversion

les_paul_std.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Standard (50s neck)
List: $6,000

The Les Paul Standard has been the benchmark guitar of its ilk since its introduction in 1958; a set neck & single cutaway design that has resisted time’s ordeal, the ultimate outline which is sweet at every turn; certainly the most desirable guitar, period. Time and again, we have read how Gibson’s QC fell asleep owing to the mere success of this guitar; beneath the stunning exterior, the fester slumbers. This review isn’t about to renew a deserved bashing of this sedition, it aims to address the Standard’s contemporary adaptations. Surely, the very name which conjures grandeur has a gem to conceal… or does it?

Construction/ fit/ finish
There isn’t much to convey on matters pertaining to the Les Paul’s craftsmanship other than a reiteration of its magnificence. With effect from 2002, the Standard receives an AA grade flame maple top, the presence of unmarked blotches beneath the transparent overcoat must be judged in light of such a provision. In other aspects of finishing, the Les Paul is hard to fault. This example is endowed with an alternative South American mahogany body instead of its politically correct Honduran pedigree. The fretboard here is of Indian origin & displayed uncharacteristic dryness. There is also an exhibition of careless glue application at the nut area, spilling onto the first fret vicinity. Other undeserving presence are a crooked volume knob, which makes one wonder if this guitar was subject to a harsh collision during its journey to the dealer’s, and a chipped bridge pickup mounting ring. I would have believed that the dreadful QC tales mentioned above were disgruntled accounts from Gibson dissidents but it seems that the very product had presented its warts. Shame.

Playability/ tone
The Les Paul Standard is now offered in two neck profiles; a rounded 50s edition or a slim tapered 60s (flatter) option. Purists & enthusiasts alike would agree that the former neck profile helps underscore the guitar’s colossal presence. In any case, the depth of both would present a new playing experience to players who are accustomed to thin necks. Regardless of the preference & abhorrence of the Les Paul neck-body joint, upper fret access is a real issue with a guitar of this design. The manufacturer isn’t about to revise this concept so we either accept its peculiarity or embrace other brand names which offer a more forthcoming option. Despite an arched top body, the Les Paul continues to be devoid of an elbow relief & ribcage chamfer, the crucial elements needed to make its handling more opulent.

The ultimate redemption of this guitar is its revised pair of humbuckers- the BurstBucker Pro. If you’ve been repelled by the ill-defined tone of the Les Paul, it was probably due to the nasal pair of 490R/ 498T pickups. But that was a pre-2002 predicament, the current darlings possess an Alnico V midrange injection to ensure your driven solo outings are well heard. However, if you roll the tone off in the neck position, the revered woman tone is still preserved. With this pair decorating the Standard’s voicings, it is to the behest of the players to ensure the presence of appropriate amps & FX units because all manner of tone are not impossible. The Les Paul Standard remains true to its tonal reputation, a very majestic one indeed.

Last say
The current pricing of this guitar is bordering on the ridiculous & with the inherent flaws (a unique account for each guitar, as I've discovered), it compounds the resistance of the discerning player to own one, especially when the spectre of a PRS Singlecut looms over his head. However, the Les Paul Standard isn’t about to be dethroned anytime soon because the deep voicing of this guitar remains unchallenged & preferred by players of various music genres. If you are attracted the Les Paul today, it might be due to the impressionable images it conjures in the presence of popular icons. However, for those of us who know what the Les Paul represent in its essence, it is simply indispensable. Pity the cosmetic unbecoming of this example as Gibson continues to undermine its own goodwill. Do not blame the copies for doing better.

I have a Standard. It poses no problems at all for me as the above reviewed guitar. Volume pot is perfect. Smooth. No excess glue at joints. It might have been better to take 3 standards and do an averaged out review. Gibson won't be like PRS. Where the latter builds a smaller amount of guitar, and tend to have a better QC. I'm not saying bad quality is acceptable, just that bigger companies always have a bigger error margin.

I don't think that the design should really be considered. By now, after 50 years of copies and such, the whole world should know 101 ways to improve the original design. Contoured ribcage support etc. But to do so would simply create something that isn't a LP anymore.

The dealer here should take responsibility in allowing such a guitar to be put on displayed without making any effort to return it. The reviewed guitar is clearly out of the QC margin. Dealers in the US always return lemons upon receiving them. So much so for enforcing your purchasing rights here. :roll: I don't think these particular reviewed model will sell. Unless the buyer is a cock who has too much money in hand or likes something darn reliced.

Last but not least. $6000!!! Where on earth did this guys get their price from. I got mine very slightly used at $2700. Well factor in the usual 20% discount being offered. It'd still be $4800 which is bloody rediculous. I can buy a ticket to HK come back and still have $1000 left over.

I played just about all the current stock at the dealer here and every single one was a lemon. There is a white custom that has a 9k price tag on it where the fingerboard is about 0.5mm wider than the neck on both sides.

The epiphones outside felt better than the real deals inside the locked glass room.

I wondered at the time whether Gibson was sending all it's lemons to Asia?

it's ideal to audition several LPs & then present a conclusion but on the broader perspective, any single unit represents the manufacturer's output, but it's in no way a lone, decisive factor.

it's also no use questioning the LP's single cutaway design at this point in time but it's fair warning for those who think that the LP's awesome tone would be coupled with likewise playability. however, if you've auditioned one & think that the playability is personally appealing- by all means, embrace the guitar.

i have nothing against the LP per se, in fact, a few days after the review, i bought one:

lpstdpic1.jpg

These guitars are not overpriced, if you compare them to their price during the 50s in relative to the economy at that time. Making instruments is a craft and good timber don't come cheap. Its just that there's too many cheap copies out there. Players tend to compare prices and choose the cheaper variant thinking that it's gonna be the same. Compare to the real holy grail vintage '59 Les Paul Standard of at least $128,000, playing a new one now is cheap. Personally, as long as a guitar can inspire the player to pick it up and play, it can be a over-indulgence of custom shops or artist signatures, it don't matter. If you got the dough, go for the historic custom shop, it's so much much better than the production models.

modern fenders and gibsons lost their appeal when i turned 16 :(

i have played several les pauls that were finished very well, almost to g&l standards, including studio, standard, and custom models. the sound just isn't my thing, but gibson definitely does not deserve quite as bad a qc rep as it has--as previously pointed out, they make a lot of guitars.

i have to admit though (no offence to lp fans), most of the les pauls i've come into contact with have really turned me off gibsons.

the gripe about Les Paul prices is compounded by what lies beneath the stunning finish: sub-standard construction, etc. the situation today is like feeding fuel to the fire, we see quality at reasonable prices but it seems that the industry's benchmark isn't keeping up.

swiarptp?

I really want to like them, I love the sound and look of them and the day I pick up one that feels right will be the day my wife threatens to kill me because I'll buy it. Up until now it hasn't happened.....

Hi there,

Used to be a Gibson Les Paul fan, but sold mine off when I found my Holy Grail of guitars.

When I was researching for my Les Paul (and finally settled on the Custom Alpine White), I tried as much Les Pauls as possible, and found that standards are some what quite badly made, as described in your review. Bleeding, messy paint job, glue etc.

But these problems seem non-existant on most of the Custom models. It's very obvious that Gibson paid much more attention to their high end models. Sad to say.

I'm happy to say I'm over them and getting on with my life :D

this is the reason why Custom models are now strictly a custom shop unit. the Supreme now replaces the Custom as a top tier, regular production model.

sub , thats the premium plus haha and in my colour . sweet guitar man . oh and gibson fans , dont buy it from swee lee , its way too ex there

hmm the prices here are crazy..

The prices here are really crazy... anyway for under 6k I got myself a Historic '57 Black beauty (2PU) direct from the states... I say order online.. find a friend you can trust there.. I've bought 2 guitars from the same shop in New York and they've been excellent buys..

I was doing an A/B of a $4000 brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard in a shop against my $1000 second hand Orville Goldtop just a couple of months back. I told the guy in the shop that I would buy the Gibson if it could sound better or as good as the Orville.

Sad to say, the Orville made the Gibson sound like a cheaper guitar...

I was doing an A/B of a $4000 brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard in a shop against my $1000 second hand Orville Goldtop just a couple of months back. I told the guy in the shop that I would buy the Gibson if it could sound better or as good as the Orville.

Sad to say, the Orville made the Gibson sound like a cheaper guitar...

Agree. There are some Gibson that can't match up to a less superior brand. In fact, there are some Epiphone which sounds on par with that from Gibson. I guess the difference may be the feel.

Last edited:
the Gibson Les Paul is now living in an age where immitators are outdoing them.

I was amazed by the immitators that they can duplicate a Gibson Les Paul 'so well'. For this, I really take off my hat. But wielding a fake Gibson Les Paul doesn't match up to holding a genuine Epiphone or Orville. Buy the authentic Gibson because a fake copy will never sustain its value over time.

Last edited:
not referring to fakes, immitators: Edwards/ Tokai/ Burny/ etc.

Slash wielded a fake for quite some time, fooled many...

Last edited:
Back