Effect of Bigger Block on Floyd Rose

ShredCow

And I got a bigger brass block to swap with my Gotoh's brass block. Here are my results, as what I posted on TGP...

So...
I like to tweak. Mess around. Modify. Experiment. with my guitar... and one of the things that got me all curious was this replacing the stock block in my Gotoh Floyd Rose with a larger block.

Tried to do some research and came up with very little information on it - so I thought to just give it a shot and "mythbuster" it, if you will.

So the Gotoh Floyd Rose - excellent floyd, probably the best around now. Great tone and construction. It already has a brass block (surprise!) but I went ahead anyway...

I had a milled brass block, same height as the original (41mm), and about double the weight (original was 125g, this was a sort of 280g I think).

The cuttings and holes and stuff - as close to the Gotoh's as possible.

So installed and all.

The verdict:
There's a difference and a good difference. I'd do it to any FR-equipped guitars I own.

1st time playing it after the big block conversion - I was startled by how bold the sound had become. There was more low end - in a more growling way - and notes had a more... robust tone. More "solid" tones were apparent. I'd say the lower mids were enhanced in a sweet, musical way. Nothing (eq wise) was overly boosted and I did not have to tweak my pedals/amp.

There was certainly less warble. For floyd users, i think its apparent how digging into the strings can give a warble of sorts - irritating and it prevented me from really playing. Always made me hold back to avoid that warble. So now, the warble was reduced - hitting hard, yes, there was warble but much reduced and it lasted for a much shorter time. Note while this affects flutter (lessens it), it did not kill flutter like how a tremsetter would. Definitely more sustain.

String tension/resistance seemed to increase. The trem was stiffer too - much like if I had increased string guage to .10s. For my guitar, the trem's range of motion was unaffected. Oh, the guitar was noticeably heavier too.

The sonic differences were evident, even on high gain settings. No more warble, fuller/fatter tone and more sustain. Nice.

So yeap. Hope this helps any floyd users who are wondering what this mod does.

These blocks are available locally. Custom milled. At a price of course. Contact me if any one wants one.

Seems great. Are these blocks available for other types of trem other than floyd roses? ie classic trems, mexican trems etc

And I got a bigger brass block to swap with my Gotoh's brass block. Here are my results, as what I posted on TGP...

These blocks are available locally. Custom milled. At a price of course. Contact me if any one wants one.

Great post. Brass blocks rule!!!! The locally available ones are only for FRs? Or any block is possible? I want to get one myself for my strat... Love the nice tone effect brass has.:mrgreen:

I'm not sure of the effect on strat tremolos. A floyd rose is probably much more sensitive to changes due to its design where a strat trem... I don't know...

I will have to check if strat blocks can be done. I'll check...

comparing the one on ebay that you posted here before, which would you think is better or are they the same?

They SHOULD be the same. However, the one I have is milled from a solid block of brass, not cut from a thick plate of brass. Does that matter? I dunno... :D But its a difference.

In any case - if you want to have one done for an Edge, it should be pretty easy. Just need to get the size of the block mounting screws + their positions on the baseplate. However, you gotta check - the Edge block, its not a rectangle - it actually starts thick then tapers down to a slimmer shape. So check your route.

If you're interested, pm me.

I'm thinking of installing one on my Edge. however, I've asked my friend to help me get hold of that one from USA which is super troublesome and relatively expensive.

is it using cnc milling or manual milling?

anyway, pmed you :)

Ya get something like this below from Cow the shred...
Image121.jpg

fglaxe2.jpg

not too clear in this pix - had my custom strat (vintage style) bridge sustain block custom built (slightly shorter but fatter) in brass & then chromed over. Adds mass to the tone for sure

What do you think about a block which is made of different type of metal other than brass? Will it change the tonal characteristic of the guitar?

Well, the thing is, i only changed from a brass block to another (bigger) brass block.

However, I'm very sure changing materials will affect the tone.

But if you have say.. a very thin, plinky sounding guitar... I'm not sure how much of a change you can affect with such changes - trem block, pickups, electronics, etc.

wouldn't titanium actually lighten up the whole thingy ?
i thought the main aim is to increase the mass ?
it would be real interesting to do a blind test

Big Milled Brass Block vs Small Milled Brass Block vs Cast Brass block vs Cast Iron block vs Milled Titanium block vs Cast steel block

I looked up on ebay out of curiosity and found this:

Floyd Rose TITANIUM Sustain Big Block - *NEW* - NR - eBay (item 130228496865 end time Jun-11-08 18:00:00 PDT)

What do you think about a block which is made of different type of metal other than brass? Will it change the tonal characteristic of the guitar?

Titanium is a nice material as a metal component for sound chambers. It's bright and shrill. I think it's a good choice for FRs with humbuckers, but than again, for Strats with single coils, it'll be too much.

However, having stainless steel screws with the Ti block is asking for trouble. if the screw threads seize, then you're f**ked...

Big Milled Brass Block vs Small Milled Brass Block vs Cast Brass block vs Cast Iron block vs Milled Titanium block vs Cast steel block

The main aim is not just to increase mass. It alters the vibration characteristics of your guitar overall. The steel blocks would respond in some way, affecting your tone. The Brass and Titanium would do the same differently. Brass, from what I remember, delivers a bigger tone, a wee bit brighter than steel, but with more low mids. The titanium delivers something even brighter, less low mids, but more high mids.

There are a few watch companies which have conducted this test for their minute repeaters. The goal was to increase loudness, and brighten up the chime tone. Titanium was found to be the best by one (Jaeger LeCoultre), and Stainless Steel by another (FP Journe). Both watches are at least $250,000 (with the latter at a whopping $600k!!!)

The titanium one was odd, mainly because it was chosen because of the LACK of sustain, which pushes the sound thru the sapphire crystal via an enhancer. But it was also because of the rigidity of titanium that the sound got very bright and loud. When we had the same watch made in Platinum, the brightness was lost, and not as loud as we'd like it.

The Stainless Steel one used the casing as the main amplifier, hence SS was the best in the tonal response of what they wanted.

Interestingly, none of them wanted to choose brass for a few reasons: Aesthetically unpleasing and high maintenance. Brass also dulls the tone somewhat for a chiming gong mechanism. But it did sustain quite a bit, and that's a no-no for minute repeaters where clarity and articulation is required.

So, basically, drawing from this, mass does not equate to good. It's all a different characteristic we're after, and if you like it, then fine. For some, Ti is the way to go. For others, (like me and Shreddy), Brass is the way to go... Steel is the norm that you SHOULD have as a benchmark. Zinc is a no-no...

P.S. Shameless Plug: EBMM guitars come stock with brass blocks on vintage trems...:mrgreen:

Oh man. Guitars to watches, tone to tone!

Anyone tried using a brass pick? I gots me one. Whitestrat. You have to try it. Its rather nice.

Oh man. Guitars to watches, tone to tone!

Anyone tried using a brass pick? I gots me one. Whitestrat. You have to try it. Its rather nice.

Nah... They don't correspond in the same manner lah. Just showing that different materials give different results. Not as if one is necessarily better than the other... Heh...

A brass pick from where? I tried those metal picks that Yamaha had last time. Called Stilettos or something. Didn't last very long... The pick, I mean. It wore off so much, it just was hopeless. And not nice to play with... Heh.

A brass pick from where? I tried those metal picks that Yamaha had last time. Called Stilettos or something. Didn't last very long... The pick, I mean. It wore off so much, it just was hopeless. And not nice to play with... Heh.

Google Dugain.

I got one 2nd hand - cheaper. Pricey stuff.

I remembered that metal picks had a certain sound to them. I recall I liked that sound. But the thin metal picks scraped and caught on the wound strings. Very irritating. But the sound was something.
Then I saw the V Picks and though, eh, that's the solution mah - bigger, fatter edges = less scratchy feel.
So I buy and try lor.
And its true.
Plus the tone was good. The brass dugain i got has very good, clear lows. The highs are not as glassy as the V picks - more sharp-ish sounding.

Back