Do You Look Like A Musician?

Oh my, now you're onto semantics? There is a definition for the term "human"; a pig is not one. There is a definition for the term "musician"; someone who strums the guitar in a park occasionally is not one, neither is someone with long hair in a black suit.

I think you are confused with a human in its physical manifestation, and being human, and experiencing life as a human being.

So, if somebody puts a pig and you side by side, of course anybody can see which is the pig and which is the human being. Hopefully.

It's like just because I am a Harvard graduate, that I am indeed a wise man.

Without all the experience in life, I am practically nothing.

So, who I am to dictate whether a person can deservingly call himself a musician? It is by no means an accolade even. Does one get a prize or prestige being called a musician?

I doubt so.

It's just a title or description, and it can be described as anything from a musician who is still learning his instrument and definitely on the way to mastering it, to an accomplished artiste who reinvents the way a musical instrument is played traditionally.

Again - no absoluteness.

But if i just judge by the piccher...shouldn't we describe the guy in that tight leather pants a guitarist instead? Just becos he plays the guitar doesn't mean he a musician yo....So doesnt that mean u just contradicted yourself?

hurr hurr hurr....

~meh~

This has nothing to do with "absolute correctness". This has something to do with "looking like a musician", and like the post above mentioned, you're contradicting yourself in every reply. Furthermore, you do not seem to be getting the point, which is to let us know what is a musician so we can reply to the thread appropriately.

Better yet, why don't you all post photos of yourselves?

And yes, I tend to agree that going by the common man's understanding, such a generic question is indeed "understandable". Then again, like I said, the way I see the topic and replies, it is pointing to a misunderstanding of fashion, style, personality, music, and art.

By the way, let me aid Mr James for now. Please keep your replies to one post per reference. Remember, there is an "edit" button.

hecklerkoch, can you state what is your point/question for this thread again?

I read through and roughly figure that you wanted to say that musicians should dress up? Is that your point?

Just wanna be sure before everyone starts posting replys that are not addressing your topic.

this thread is the pants. It is right up there with those other vital, poignant and insightful soft threads "where do i buy skinny jeans" and "how long did it take to grow your mullet". Pass the Armani, I'm gotta practice my scales.

this thread is the pants. It is right up there with those other vital, poignant and insightful soft threads "where do i buy skinny jeans" and "how long did it take to grow your mullet". Pass the Armani, I'm gotta practice my scales.

soon to be locked...I presume?;)

These threads though seemingly trivial and trite, provide great insight into the mindset of the kids. You've not ever lived until you follow a fad and then get a mind for yourself, which is what being young and growing up is all about.

... bla bla bla ...

I don't understand your fixation of specifics.

And I don't see the point of repeating myself just because you have a problem understanding simple English. Maybe you are too 'high-brow' to understand simple English - which a lot of people who replied to this thread, understand. So, you are saying that a lot of Softies, who replied non-negatively to this thread, are stupid?

I see the problem though. Sweeping statements like 'Remember, there is an "edit" button' reeks of one's self-delusion of being a know-all, when it is very obvious that if I want to use the edit button, I shall but if I don't feel like it - I have the choice.

I don't think that I've ever rallied for people to 'dress like musicians' and that people should dress like musicians. I even said you've got a choice.

And for me to find it boring personally, that people don't make an effort to look more fashionable, doesn't constitute the fact that I think it is a right or wrong issue. It is just a personal opinion. Just like you may think that Yngwie Malmsteen is a godly personality in the world of musicians but most ah peks and aunties may not understand him at all.

The thread heading itself is simple enough to be a yes or no answer.

If you can, outrightly or non-outrightly, answer yes I do make an effort to look a little bit different, have an identity and at the back of my mind knows that hey - it fits into the context of music because I am emulating a certain fashion style of a favourite musician of mine - or no, I don't see the need to look different from everyone else although I do have passion for music and am learning actively a musical instrument or two, then I see that a lot of people who responded to my question, actually knows what I am wondering about.

It's just like you said " the way I see the topic and replies, it is pointing to a misunderstanding of fashion, style, personality, music, and art." but it is such to you because you seem to have a pre-conceived, self-righteous notion of what fashion, style, personality, music and art should look like, when the reality is that these things evolve all the time.

So, in the context of my argument - these elements can be quite generic but as long as we know the exact context of the discussion - it should not be too difficult to answer. To give a simple yes or no.

To further simplify it for you - a musician (aspiring, in training, accomplished or a master - that's not my problem) sees his favourite famous rockstar/pop idol dress a certain quirky and interesting way, and it becomes fashionably accepted and the roots link back to that famous rockstar/pop idol who started the trend, and then this musician decides to adopt and integrate the various fashion elements into his everyday dressing - this constitutes 'dressing like a musician' ie. you adopt a trend or look that's associated with certain music personalities, no matter what that look is, specifically. At the end of the day, it symbolizes that famous rockstar/pop idol's talent and creativity and his or her desire to show the world his or her identity and abilities, in constantly thinking out of the box, reinventing themselves and go against social norms, all in the name of progress.

And if it is really all about the music, then this world of ours, if it is not driven by consumerism and capitalism, will not ever prosper and move forward and progress.

People keep forgetting about the holistic nature of music and the human mind - it is not just about the intellect and the logic but the seemingly illogical part that drives human emotions, make teenage girls go ga ga over their singing idols, about how corporations seize this opportunity to exploit this part of the human being, and constantly look for new ways to reinvoke those emotions and generate revenue.

Without this constant exploitation (and no, in this context it is not a negative connotation) - do you think we can all progress and afford to research into new technologies that constantly open up new worlds and possibilities?

So, is that why the local music scene takes such a long time to go anywhere?

Because it is all about the music?

These threads though seemingly trivial and trite, provide great insight into the mindset of the kids. You've not ever lived until you follow a fad and then get a mind for yourself, which is what being young and growing up is all about.

You are absolutely right.

Although the problem is that, we've all been there done that.

And we are going to go there and do this and that, as long as we are still alive. If you get what I mean. There's nothing to stop an 80 year old man from making a mistake that logically only a pimply, 18 year old might commit.

So, I wouldn't be too concerned with quick judging and labeling.

C'est la vie.

*insert witty retort to counter and nullify not-so-impressive post above*

seriously though, I love how this thread has basically become an argument on semantics and how everything is always 'about the music'.

image is subjective, to me these guys look like a laughable bunch of teens who probably listened to too much linkin park and x-japan

2dlpsie.jpg

on the other hand, look at this classy fellow, minus the probable neckbeard, his image just speaks of style to me.

2gtw9rp.jpg

you'll never see me in a jap visualkei uniform, but the dudes from gazatte in the cassis video looked awesome! (quite pretty also! :X) hahahahahahaha!

Anyway no-one beats the spikes and leather coats of the black metal bands. BEHEMOTH!! IMMORTAL!! (except maybe the vikings, they're awesomely funny)

aiya, if you want to wear something just wear la, like, you see this dude wear what, aga aga know he what type of 'genre' one mah.

Of course there are the people who dont dress up also mah. Its choice, freedom siol!

Then talk about clothes, why never talk about gear? A guy buy pink guitar/bass means he gay meh? Ossuary bassist use pink colour one okay.

"Wah cb, bc.rich.. confirm metalhead!
telecaster! indie!
les paul! deathcore!
etc etc until you reach
wah lan! TGM! confirm noob!"

But of course, you want to dress up, make sure your music steady first, knn that time I saw one band, wear bandana wear cut-off durian gloves wear fedora hat and alot of other shit, but the band damn jia lat :/

but then I saw this band, 3/4, t shirt, sneakers, the band, wah lan eh! tight like FOUCK!

That's very insightful, I must say. Turning things around and writing a mini thesis, very nice - I loike. Now let's see where you might've gone wrong:

"I mean - do you make effort to dress up when you go out and look like a musician?

You know what I mean right..."

Wha? You're expecting response, no? From the beginning of this topic, I notice posters have already targeted your stance on this. In particular, the following is what Cheez mentioned:

Errr, what is a musician supposed to look like? Are "normal looking" (or "boring looking", whatever that means) people not musicians? I sense some kind of judgement being made here...

"Don't need to wear t-shirts with your favourite band on it. Hell, that doesn't mean you are a musician yourself - you may just be a big fan."

Yes, you make sense.

"As in, you know.. musicians kinda look different. They are non-conformists, they've got attitude and style (well, most of 'em) and you can almost always tell a musician apart from the rest of the garden variety species of humans"

Now, you don't make sense.

"It can be unruly, long hair, more accessories on yourself than usual, maybe tattoos, anything - as long as you wear it with attitude and you think it carries the spirit of the music genre that you like and you actually play, originals or otherwise, that genre of music."

Not bad, you're hinting..oh wait, what was that?

"So, do you look like a musician or just normal, boring looking?"

I sympathise with you. So that is all there is to it? Either a musician or a "normal, boring" person of no status?

I had no intention of participating further in this discussion, but I had to be kind and attend to your reply in reference to my "teenager" post. Now let me clear that one up for you. This is my mini-mini-thesis to conclude my involvement:

When you say musicians "kinda look different", then wouldn't most teenagers look different too? Well, they're musicians as long as they "have the spirit" because in your opinion, this is just a generic question and apparently everyone can look at it from a variety of angles. Why then, am I pointing to my ass? Well, look around. Everyone's dressing up these days, no? Almost every teenager who plays an instrument just loves to dress up. I hope this is not simple enough for you to fathom, but I will still love you.

Signing off.

37774Jenna_Jameson_And_Jackson_4_small.jpg

... bla bla bla ...

So what if I have 'gone wrong' someplace somewhere?

I have never painted myself as an authority on music nor do I see myself as someone who is in possession of all the 'right knowledge' what.

But it seems that you are, and you are here to tell people what is right and what is wrong.

So be it lor.

So you know it all.

Whatever.

Back