Do You Look Like A Musician?

I think everyone wants to be validated for whatever they do, and like what I learned in pop culture: clothes gives a person an identity. Clothes (from my own words) is somewhat of a sign board, it tells people of your status/attitude/personality, wether we like it or not, our mood for that day determines what we wear.

This quote from Blaise Pascal sums up what I think about this whole topic, which actually goes beyond musicians.

"Vanity is so firmly rooted in man's heart that a soldier, a cook or a porter will boast of their abilities, and yearn for admiration. Even philosophers want people to admire them; even when they write against the folly of human vanity they want to be admired for the style of their prose. And those who read philosophy want to be respected for the depth of their understanding. Perhaps in writing this I too am fishing for the admiration of my readers."

To hecklerkoch

How you look should coincide with what you bring on the table, like, if you're a man you cant pee sitting down unless you've got some problem or you're already doing something while you're sitting down. I mean for our particular epoch, thats just wrong.

Talk about climatic excuses,how often u heard from sg males that they cut it almost to a "durian" style cos they said the weather is untolerable. But,females don't complain about the weather when they kept long hair.

hecklerkoch is completely right. Making the effort to dress up as a musician is all part of the whole thing. What would KISS or X-Japan or The Rolling Stones or Guns N Roses or Metallica (Yes, dressing is black IS part of their image most times) and Led Zeppelin and all those bands be without that little (and not so little) dress up?

The whole point of rock or metal or etc music is to dress up larger than life. Well, it used to be like that anyway. If we wanted to hear the boy next door jam in his garage in T-shirt and jeans, we'd do just that. But if we wanted to watch a larger-than-life over-the-top rock concert with all the bells and whistles, dressing up is all part of that.

However, offstage, say you're going to a kopitiam or something, it would be damn funny to dress up in your full gear just so you can lim some kopi for 10 minutes and then go home and bathe. Now that would be....strange, and your neighbour's dog might bite you for being so silly.

i agreed with roninriot......abt the kopitiam thingy, let alone our festive season, don expect ppl who celebrate CNY, Hari Raya, Deepavali or etc etc to actually dress up like Kiss with make up all over and visit relative just to prove a point, come to think again, i wanna try it this year, n tell u wat happen, hahahah

Last edited:
=roninriot

i only agree on half of that. well, actually 3/4. dressing the part is only important when you need/want to be theatrical. metallica, rammstein, marilyn manson, kiss etc. etc. but there are others who are musicians or just go up in jeans and t-shirt and well, they still pull it off. pearl jam for instance, and not to forget the late kurt cobain.

well in a way, that's just the image that they are trying to portray. so well, i don't really think it's the type of music, but more of the image you are portraying that will really tell the story on stage. (i guess?) i'm none-wiser than anyone else about this, but maybe the most important thing is to connect with your crowd? the weirdest i've seen is one man go up to the stage in his singlet and shorts and yet, he still pulled off a brilliant performance. (he's a dj btw)

and to that kopitiam thing... well, i can't disagree, but i've seen idiots dress like they're going to war (chains, dog collars, spikes etc.etc.) just sit down at the kopitiam all night talking. how they never seem to feel hot and sweaty in this microwave oven is beyond me.

But the whole naked thing was a part of RCHP's 'image' and the way they dressed, so was Kurt Cobain and flannel shirts. It's all about the fashion statement. Grunge wasn't just a genre of music, it was a fashion statement. So was glam rock, disco, etc. It just so happens that part of dressing up for grunge is dressing down, but it's still 'dressing the part'.

Piang eh.

RHCP already don't know how famous when they performed in only socks lah. They don't need to pull such a stunt to stay famous.

But then again, that's their way and style of presentation.

Doesn't mean you wear less (or practically nothing) - you are not fashionable.

People keep forgetting that it is not whether you overdress or underdress - it is the little touches here and there, the sort of quirkiness that is instantly visually impactful and make someone notice.

Nobody's saying that you have to go all out and in the end look like a clown because it doesn't fit the situation or circumstance mah.

Most of the time, good fashion in the everyday sense, is to have little subtle (or not so subtle) touches and additions to your 'normal' everyday wear. Enough for someone to notice the difference.

Of course for stage, the more visual you are, definitely the better lah. Of course, this doesn't work for everybody but if it works for most people - why not eh?

Ok ok, I think to get a clearer picture - why do you think you 'look like a musician'? Others who are forced by circumstances to not be able to afford to look different no need to answer lah.

Is it because -

1) You have long hair (for guys)?
2) You have a little bit more bling?
3) Your hairstyle is a little bit different (not normal bengish coloured or something)?
4) You tend to follow the fashion of your favourite singer/band/musician in some way?
5) You try your best to not look like the boy/girl next door?

Of course everybody has to agree that this is all very subjective and ultimately it is a personal choice and there is no right or wrong to it lah but then you ask - what's the whole point of this discussion?

Personally, I am just concerned about the overall mentality of Singaporeans and Singapore musicians and whether we are still afraid to do something different because we are afraid that the rest may not agree or that they feel uncomfortable and feel that they are not 'normal', as in fitting in society's mold and set of expectations.

The decision to look a little bit different is but a subtle and important move to veer away from being afraid of not being socially accepted.

Yes, Singapore has achieved relative success and this success is economic but as a society moving forward to the future - how do you think we can change in the name of progress? MM remarked that we still have a long way to go, in terms of social graciousness, collectively but what's being done to change this? Who here thinks that social graciousness is not that important to everyday life? Do you think there will be less road rage and petty quarrels and fights like the Everitt Road people if we make the effort to be more gracious and tolerant?

Are we going to contend with only heartland humour that doesn't do much for the intellect and forever hail Jack Neo as the most prolific local movie director or can we definitely do something more in terms of local movie productions?

I guess it has a lot to do with the demographic of Singapore and how it is so racially and culturally diverse that it is difficult to satisfy just about everybody but I don't think that doesn't mean we should give up and just let things be ya?

At the end of the day, you'll realize it is not so much about how we should or should not dress up and 'look like musicians' BUT about how having that kind of mentality and mindset that by doing so (look a bit different) - we are slowly but surely changing and progressing, and discarding our need to conform and fit in and feel comfortable. Of course, dressing up or looking different is just part of a larger scheme of things lah, if you know what I mean.

It is all about identity.

hecklerkoch

Good post,and i have a good read, thumbs up for u......but wah piang lei,too long lah....hahahha

but i do see some musician, den don look like 1, some even look like sorry to say, like a drug addict and still ppl wants to be like them, dressing or even acting like 1....

Last edited:
=roninriot

Yupp exactly,which rock group would be famous if not for their image?If u really think depending on your skills alone,you would be able to make it big,then i think your wrong,unless ur really godly at what you do.Point is,a little bit of dressing to show off really helps,thats what presentation is all about.
As Ronald Mcdonald once said,:"Every one,come try my McBurgers,McFries,McNuggets,McWings,McSundaes and my gigantic McHotdog,they're best in town!!!"
If Ronald didn dress so colourfully and attention seekingly,would McDonalds be where they are now? Ponder over this...

Good post guys.

If Big show dint wear his tight singlets . do u all think he will get the girls?
If Buh Buh Ray Dudley and Brother Devon Dudley did not look so skinny and cool , do u think they will get the girls ?
If Kane didnt have beautiful Puppy eyes , do u think he will get the girls ?
If Pat Mok From J team didnt have such a small mouth , do u think she will get the guys ?
If Jack Neo didnt look so Good looking , do u think he will get the girls?

Thus , Looks are really impt. How a person dress makes him .
We as musicians , are also performers , just like in WWE .

Booyaka yea.

Utter bullcrap. Define the variable "musician", please. From reading part of this thread, it appears every teenager in this world is a musician. God bless the real deals.

if a person has to resort to using something as superficial and external as clothings to establish his identity, then i think it is very very sad.
What happened to true inner identity and character?

Back