'Designing' guitar neck

inlays on the guitar are there for a good reason.

Piano are made to have black and white keys separated. Xylophones and marine bars alike use the same concept of separating the keys in a specific manner but less the coloring.Chinese instrument "Gu Zhen" uses a different color string every 5 notes.Same goes a harp that uses different color strings.

Violin don't have a fret so they have to adjust every single note when they play by ear. Same logic goes to trombone, slide guitar, chinese instrument "er hu".

Of coz we have our standard note per fingering instruments like saxaphones, flutes and trumpet.

I'm saying all these because i see the craziness in rejection of inlay.I've to say, yes too much inlay you'll only see a nice piece of craft but the tone is neglected but no inlays will cause you alot more trouble. Classical guitarist can play without fret markers anywhere on the neck because they are always sitting down and never moving about. Most of the time they are to sit in a good posture to allow their hand to move to a familiar spot. So unless you are not a stage musician, you can consider a guitar with no indication. Because being on stage, a bunch of wrong notes will mean that the musician is lack of practice(even if you did). Your event manager will not praise you for getting a good tone but you definitely get a good lecture for a bunch of wrong notes.

just my 2 cents :)

"they all wanted to look different, but unfortunately, the music so boring most of the time people will only remember the joke of having a nice looking instrument with bad music left behind from past era, full of souless rocking energy of made believe..

...mr lim, geylang lorong 8..."

the above heard somewhere somehow, i wacked the hell out him liao. So now we can go back to inlays and stay rocking, funkee and kewl!

Latest posts

Back