Dear Mr Bitter Liberty - Pls dont devalue local musicians!!

Beer and Gigs

2 cents in 3 points

1. Like what Mikeman said - Lets hear out what Bitter Liberty has to say. IMHO if money's changed hands, then he should return it, until a time when the gig is confirmed. Bitterliberty can approach the bands if they are still interested after he's got firm dates and check for interest again.

2. The challenge has been issued that we can all put together a gig if we want to. Some costs reflected, which can explore. Possible? Any takers? I didn't get the R/R 2005/2006 part from heartrock, maybe can clarify?

3. The call to beer!!! AgingYouth, embryo, bigtokes - attack!!!

Anyway - if the guys a kid, i suggest we cut him a little slack, but not too much if we establish he tried to pull a fast one.

Yo Bitterliberty - you should respond.

Hi Gargle,

actually has chosen to reply on the other thread two days ago. It was very convincing as his earliest posting if you don't read between the lines. Giving him the benefit of doubt to clear his name and put things right, I posted some questions after he responded. If he is what he claims to be, he should come clean after responding clearly, without ambiguity to my list of questions.

As to RR 04/05, this was a gig organized by this community last year and RR05/06 is the 2nd in this series. Izaar of Fatskunks will be issuing the notice of meeting to get the RR05/06 going. We all register ourselves here and we will set a date, time and place to meet, select the committee and delegate respective responsibilities and there we go.

Yeshhh, gargle, he's about half your age. I think so is everyone here in general! Hahaha!!! Okay, tt's being age-ist.

Supposed to meet Randolf at Historia on Sat but had recording till 12am and had to check out a private party.

How's bigtokes and his boys eh? I met the one (the one with the chunky earrings) whom you have an unusually close relationship with a few months ago for beer. He's da bomb lah...

hey ho let`s go!!!!!!!

yay yay.....so exciting!!!!

RR `05/06 gonna start already......... :lol: :lol:

IJAA BOBOY....wen wanna start meeting?!?!?!?!? :lol:

HeartRockSingapore said:
Good commercial opportunity Bernard..

Don't get me wrong..... i mean with that kinda money, i can do more. not just gigs. mmm.... maybe you can tell us how to get organise gigs. Think i'll be able to do if i get the approriate sponsors that you got. :) just a tot.
peace man. :)

hey ho let`s go!!!!!!!

RR is ROCKING RESOLUTIONS....it`s a BIG event..organised by us...ermm..majorly by Izaar from FATSKUNKS.....

it`s like a stepping stone for new bands..a chance to perform...
it was discussed by fellow softies here late last yr..coz we were not given any chance to play in any gigs....so in the end...fork out our own money..rented equipments.(from mikemann...thanx mike!!!)..had the help by anthony(HeartRockS`pore..very very very big thanx)..n James(Mr.SOFT..a very very very big thanx also)..we got the venue...got the gig going....
it was a 10-hr gig...so yeah..lotsa bands benefit from RR`05..including mine...bands like Subway Stars,FATSKUNKS,Rusty Nailz,Cherokee,GLITCHED(my band),Documentary In Amber,ScreamFront,Streetsites,BlackDuctape...

..u can check it out under the PHOTOS section...under page 4
:lol:

but this yr we`re hoping to get sponsors...so that the bands dun have to fork out any cash to play...HOPING......no promises....

but yeah...new infos abt this event will be posted soon...no worries it`s open to all...esp. NEW BANDS.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey ho let`s go!!!!!!!

ok..this thread misled liao...wait 4 Izaar to start a new one.....
watch out for it!!
hehehehehehehehehe....

This is the reply from Bitterliberty. Please read carefully and understand the implication. My questions are on the next page.

bitterliberty said:
Dear Heart Rock Singapore,

It's really hard to postt confidential company matters on the internet. But I'll clarify as many of your questions as possible.

By renting the club, we will have exclusive use of the club for a certain amount of time. For this gig that is coming up, proceeds are taken by us, but this money goes into covering costs that I have calculated earlier.

All money from drinks that are sold goes to the club. This allows us to use such an exclusive venue as the club would probably see no gain in renting us such a place otherwise. Beverages have to be paid for by us personally to ensure that the crowd has a great time by being provided with drinks. Free alcoholic beverages are up to the clubs to decide. In other words, only certain drinks are selected by the club to be redeemable. Anyway, we are still negotiating with the club, and are hoping to get the cheapest rates on drinks for the club.

Different events have different needs, concerts that are held in Rock Auditorium will not require alcoholic beverages, for example.

This 25 x $18 (not $20) is only for this concert. Not all concerts require bands to bring 25 people down.

No, I am stating an example for Rock Auditorium. We might organise future gigs at Rock Auditorium, but it has nothing to do with the club now.

We get the best equipment as possible, but is has to be within the allocated budget. That is why bands are not required to pay any money at all. However, the equipment is always ensured to be at an acceptable standard.

As for sponsorship, we are running indepently and without any sponsors at the moment.

If you'd like anymore information, here is my name and contact number.
Shawn

This were my questions...

Dear Mr Bitterliberty,

Your clarification does not help quite clear the air. It will be good for you if you can clear some ambiguity because that will help you in gaining integrity. This is very important in business. Let me try to help by listing a few things so that bands can have a better understanding.

Renting a club or pub...what does that mean? You get exclusive rights to use of the club? All proceeds for that night, walk in as well as those brought in by the bands are credited to you? Who sells the alcoholic drinks? The club or you? How much for first drink and how much for subsequent? What is the capacity of the club? What kind of alcoholic drink you will be giving for the amount charge? Is this beverage sponsored or you have to purchase them?

You also mention Rock Auditorium. They don't sell alcoholic drink there, so are you going to serve alcoholic beverages?

So is you 25 pax x $20 applies to all situation or in particular to the club situation? Are you saying that Rock Production Pte Ltd charges the use of the auditorium at the same rate you are paying for the club at Explanade?

What kind of equipment you get for $400/- and what kind of soundman you get for $200/-?

I don't think the list is exhaustive, but do yourself a favour, clarify them.

Roger you, Mr Heartrock.

I also have a few question for bitterliberty, but from the viewpoint of a bystander. I will direct it under the other (main) tread instead.

There already is a Singaopre Musician's Union - but it is sleeping...was approached to jion before, went down for one of their meetings & decided it was a waste of tyme. The keyboard player in my "cari makan" band Mr Charlie Anchant used to be past treasurer...

Look at the amount of "foreign talent" we have on our shores while the local musos - especially the full tyme players have to live from contract to contract .... at the whims of club owners looking at the "bottom line" of 3 sexy nubile singers & 1 guy playing the entirely sequenced music...

y'all noe wat i mean..? :(

Unions?

Don't know if the union thing is a priority, IMHO. IF the purpose of the union is to use collective bargaining to gain fair compensation for bands, then i think as a group, bands can decide and agree amongst themselves, without the formation of a union. who heads the union? what powers would the union have? does the union collect fees? What if a Union member breaks the "rules" of the Union? GEt kicked out? Pressure tactics? Can of worms if you ask me. I've had sufficient experience with Unions/ Associations/ industry groupings to know that what can start out as a good idea can quickly lose steam - the small core of committed members may burn out unless there are enough interested to carry the burden when needed. There would be those that are deeply invovled, then those that may be free riders. Some would feel they want to be more involved, but good intentions alone may not be enough... Many things to consider.

I just think it needs more thought when we consider to form a Union and then not really achieve the objectives, which at this stage may still be unclear. Without some discussion on a charter or code of ethics, and vision - i'd be more inclined to do some good for musicians in a coalition of the willing coming forward to help in any way it can - from musicians to organizers, from fans just wanting to help out to volunteers, from ad guys to marketing guys ... anyone who has an interest would have a role to play. and anyone who initiates an idea decides how it should be managed to get the best opportunities possible for local music.

If you have an idea - but can't gather the support, then perhaps it would be food for thought.

But thats just me - i'd prefer trying without a formal structure first. if its not possible, then maybe we look at alternatives. That being said, i'm still looking to see if we can develop that $50 per head idea to put together a gig. I think the money part is not the biggest problem, and there are those in this forum that can single-handedly put together a gig. But its the principle of everyone pitching in - even if it is to hand out flyers and taking care of drinks and food for the bands and organizer etc etc. Possible? I think so.

So lets start a list if you're willing to try it out put in your name indicating you're good for $50 and to take on part of the responsibility of putting together the gig:

1. gargle

We work out budgets and roles if there is sufficient interest.

Possible areas:

a. Gear
b. Bands
c. publicity
d. sound
e. logistics
f. venue
g. sponsorship???? / donations
h. coordination

Its not for profit - anything that is saved or if there is a nett gain (in case some angel decides to support this with $$), then it goes towards the next gig.

Back