Bridge - Intonation

SpaTanS

Hi guitarist, something to share ...

Do u guys tempt with the bridge to lift or lower the string actions ? i mean, individually, each string sit on a saddle that can b moved forward or back. u guys tune the setting or is there a standard that the bridge sud b position ?

maybe this cud help enlighten alittle more ... http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/intonation.htm

uh... action is different from intonation.... depends what saddles u're referring to also. floyd rose bridges have fixed height saddles.

Modifications to the action can affect the intonation. I was mucking around with my Baby Les Paul last night that has intonation problems.

Think Pythagoras. If you adjust the height of the bridge (the opposite - assuming you take the angle in question to be between at the nut end), you are increasing the vibrating length of the string (the hypotenuse).

vernplum - haha yes that's technically true! but let us not forget the fact that the change is very small and hence the angle of change is probably not as significant as adjusting the truss rod.

nice explanation via Pythagoras btw 8)

thor666 said:
vernplum - haha yes that's technically true! but let us not forget the fact that the change is very small and hence the angle of change is probably not as significant as adjusting the truss rod.

nice explanation via Pythagoras btw 8)

You'll be surprised - okay my baby guitar is short scale, so small adjustments can make big changes cause of the low tension, but two rotations of the screw resulted in roughly a semi-tone change.

vern i like the pythagoras thing...

Yea the bass string on my acoustic is rather off in the intonation. Needs to lengthen the scale length but i dunno how to.... I already file the saddle as much as possible.

And this problem occured when i lowered my action at the saddle....

i'm no expert in this intonation thingy guys but just stumble upon it on the net and thot of sharing it :lol:

i've tried 'tuning' the bridge cos like most of u guys, my guitar always seem out of tune ? open chord sounds ok, bar chord slightly out, and then played anything after the 12th fret ... terrible man ...

that's why i thot i play ard with the bridge setting ... and to b honest, i cannot seem to get the high note on 12fret the same as open fret.

so no choice, gotta set it at the 15th and 17th, just to make sure it's not flat or sharp and it's on the same 'key level' as the 3rd and 5th.

just my 2¢

SpaTanS - it always happens! haha... but anyway, your intonation after the 12 fret needs to be slightly compensated with your playing style, as i found. if u rest heavy on ur bridge the notes will be slightly sharper and u'll have to adjust around it.

Latest posts

Back