Band Home Recording

Drums First???

if you record the drums first you will get a better end product.

export the files as wave / .wav and you will be able to use almost any music software.

most common .wav is 16bit 44.1 if you get the option to change. some software wont use higher and lower sucke. 44.1 is the same as a cd anyway.

...... 16 bit 44.1khz ..... ????? !!!!!! ZZZzzzz

if you record the drums first you will get a better end product.

export the files as wave / .wav and you will be able to use almost any music software.

most common .wav is 16bit 44.1 if you get the option to change. some software wont use higher and lower sucke. 44.1 is the same as a cd anyway.

24-bit/96kHz??

bernardgoh, what you mean?

we are talking here about doing 'home recording'. the dont want or need to know about soundscape and Otari radar.

we are talking 24 chan max not a custom 256 chann SSL (yes it does exsist 256/32/8)
you know what i mean???

16/44.1 is ok here and the file sizes of 24 bit and 96khz will need faster computers or servers running as workstations. there goes the costs.......

try this for size.................

4 x quar core intel xeon chip set
intel server board
8 x hitachi 1TB drive (raid)
32 gb ram
soundscape 32 chann hardware (OS 5.5 and mix 9 card)
2 x focusrite saffire pro 24
yamaha 02r
questhead and mackie mons.
do i need to go on?????????????????

now how does the budget look for 'home recording' now?? i know 16bit aint amazing, thats why i like 2inch tape nevermind 24bit and all that crap!

if you want to talk 'pro toys' then start another thread for 'big boys' !

i do all my recordings on 24bit 44.1khz

this was recommended to me as the best balance between size file/processing and quality by Andy Sneap(Mixer for killswitch engage/sabbat/asilaydying/Machinehead)

what's more important are the ADDA converters in the soundcard.

an Apogee ensemble card will destroy an m-audio card recording at 24bit/192khz at 24bit/44.1

don't get me wrong... i never say 44.1 khz is crap. :) but for the current PC hardware and D/A. I think to record a decent 24bit would be good. and 44.1/88.2/196 khz is best if you are mixing it to CD. ;)

Let's get back to the original intention of the thread.

Since the thread starter already has a zoom G2.1U, he should be ok for the guitars + bass. Just need to record the drums at a studio and bring back the tracks.

This is indeed a fun thing to do. Learn bit-by-bit and know why and what to-do and not-to-do for future recordings.

I suggest to do fix a tempo. Record the bass + guitars at home. Bring it to a studio and record the drums with the bass/guitar as guide track.

Ask the studio to save the individual drum tracks (bass, snare, hi-hats, toms, cymbals) onto CD/DVD for you to bring home.

Sync it up in your DAW and fine tune/layer more instrumet on top.

Apogee

nice choice! i also like the focusrite saffire pro 24. it gets a nice sound all the way from top end of a crash to the punch of a kick to the depth of a bass guitar.

i have had endless problems with a pirepod. the sound aint too good but it keeps stopping working so i just forgot its even there.

what software do you all recommend for the 'home studio' on a ballance of cost, quality and ease to use. so many choices noe! sonar or cuebase i recomend. adobe audition for cleaning recordings before mixing.

as steange as this may seem i also recomend recording the (click if you use one) as a seperate chann so when your playing beck later to add another layer you know where the time is and that its the same.

use guitar pedals recorded into stereo so you get the full effect on the recording not a mono version of your hard to find sweet sound.

Last edited:
hey guys where do you drum patches?and one more thing are they able to do like with different time signature and speed.

Back