Band Home Recording

erm.. yeah, actually, i already have a riff tracker
but im not sure how im gonna record the vocals and the drums,
the demo drums on the rifftracker very limited
and im kinda thinking about micing my amp to record instead..
any ideas?

Old And Trusted

try sure mics. you see them all over the place and every one uses them.

why? they are good. spend more to get more. USB mics are a waste of time and money.

USB mics are a waste of time and money.

i beg to differ. i have a usb mic. the samson c01u. i have to say that it's cheap and easy to use. of course that's only for simple usage. i use it to record amps and vocals only. cant record a drumkit. it's easy to use and produces great results.

u can try get those behringer "sm-57"s.... try the shop in front of luthermusic. forgot the price. but definitely below a hundred, maybe even 70.... a real shure sm-57 cost 150... so yeah, my 2 cents...

shure sm-57 / 58

this is 2 of the best mics you will evey find. i still use 57's for toms even now (and i have access to 6 u87's)

eh, I use behringer leh, works great for me, I used it on the toms for the SOFT drumxchange on gigvideos.com (first few videos)

anyway if you wanna get a cheap mic I highly recommend go cash converters, they sell for about $5 to $8. or $10. no more than that.

you get what you pay for

you get what you pay for..................

and that is all there is to it!

well, i've a u87 but i'll never think of taking my u87 for toms. 414s for toms is ok. i'm just wondering why do we need 6 u87s? choirs?

why not???

the more mics you use the more echo and natural 'room sound' you will get.

u87 is nice for toms but not too close. the 57 still sounds sweeter i think. and lets remember we are talking about "home recording" here. who will buy u87's for home use??? they cost more than a small condo on orchard!

well, i do have friends owning 87 for home use. well... it all depends what kinda of stuff you really need. for me, shure 57/58 never goes wrong. and if you want to do podcast. the usb mics work just fine. just remember this. mics/ good preamps/ DA would not make your bedroom sound big. home recording have it's limit. go by your budget and select your equipment carefully. choose what's best for your usage. if you just want to record demos(putting your creativity into soundwave). then get something that is easy to use. at the end of the day, you still go into a studio for recording. don't stress yourself to much on the technicality of sound engineering. it would kill your songs something by choosing what format you want to record in. :)

the more mics you use the more echo and natural 'room sound' you will get.

u87 is nice for toms but not too close. the 57 still sounds sweeter i think. and lets remember we are talking about "home recording" here. who will buy u87's for home use??? they cost more than a small condo on orchard!

ECHO... mmm.... sounds very karaoke to me. :)

thats not what i mean at all

why dont we try to keep this thread constructive?

i mean the natural echo from the room. if you have that wrong your whole recording will sound wrong.

whats your toys list?

bernardgoh.............

your list of toys is not on your site. are you digital or analogue? mac or pc?

i am analogue all the way until the last moment possible but at some point it has has to go into the computer to be edited, thats just how life is these days.

well mate... welcome to the modern world. time = cost. :) i'm digital and analog. i'm mac and PC. ;) as long as the tools work fine. i'll use it.
anyway, have enough of cock talking. see you guys around. :)
cheers.

Back