Age old Question: Maple or Rosewood fingerboards?

3notesAbar

Hi all,

I was wondering about that question for myself. I think there are similar sonic traits between both woods, be it on bass and guitar. But still, i currently have no instruments with these woods to test things out.

Could any of you state which wood you prefer for your fingerboard and why? Much appreciated.

Honestly, the tonal difference between the 2 on a fretted instrument is barely even audible. Given all things equal I doubt most ppl would be able to tell a guitar with a rosewood fingerboard from that with a maple fingerboard.

Hi fretless 6,

Yeah true. Tonally the woods sounds similar. That said, my personal experience also tells me that both woods have different properties, which meddle more with sustain, than just plain tone. I honestly do not have hardcore information on this. Some grey areas like timbre of an instrument's tone, its sustain (vibrational) properties, which lead to an instrument either sounding 'compressed' or 'open', bug me till this day.

I used to own a 5 string bass with a maple fingerboard (musicman style PU), and now i have an ebony 4 stringer from the same maker with 2 soapbar PUs. The PU difference makes it hard for me to judge, but the maple one sounded more 'open'. Like a string of fast notes sound more distinct and pronounced. The ebony one is more compressed and isn't very prounounced playing fast notes on lower registers.

I should stop for now... :oops:
Please feel free to keep this dialogue going!

MAPLE!!!!

ive always played rosewood fretboards... but eversince i bought my maple neck strat... i tihnk its gonna be maple all the way... i think the audible difference is quite obvious leh ...
like if you compare a maple neck strat against a rose wood fretboard strat... the robustness of the rosewood will be quite obvious..

but the sparkling cleaniness of the tone thru the maple will also shine thru next to a darker sounding rosewood fretboard.

Anyhow, I think I didn't phrase my first post quite right. I agree there is a significant tonal difference between rosewood and maple. However, the difference is not obvious for fingerboards. The difference becomes obvious when u play a fretless instrument, but on a fretted, the strings are vibrating against the frets. The fingerboard is too thin to make that an huge impact on tone.

Sometimes it's a psychological effect. :) Kinda like for some audiophiles, when they use a waterhose sized cable to connect their amps to the wall power socket, they suddenly have bionic dog ears that allows em to hear the clarity at 22KHz. :)

Kinda like for some audiophiles, when they use a waterhose sized cable to connect their amps to the wall power socket, they suddenly have bionic dog ears that allows em to hear the clarity at 22KHz. Smile

haha :D . This probably borders on ESP. Cant really hear but can 'feel' it. Like sub-sonic booms and stuff 8O

This thread is contains highly subjective opinions, and i respect all opinions. Would it be possible that different instrument designs are either more or less influenced by fingerboard material? i.e. Stratocasters vs telecasters. Fender Jazz vs EB MM Stingray etc etc?

well for guitars the pickups play a very big part. for bass not too sure man ...

but i really can hear a diff between say... a 57 reissue and a 62 reissue.. one maple neck one rose wood neck...

Maple = yummy. I like to sound 'open' and clear as a bassist. So maybe maple on most instruments for me would be better...

I notice that most bassists who dont slap / play with high treble-type tones tend to stick to rosewood. They just lay the low grooves and focus on low frequency modelling. Whereas bassists like me take more notice of the highs/treble. Probably some significance to guitarists as well?

ChanMin said:
well for guitars the pickups play a very big part. for bass not too sure man ...

but i really can hear a diff between say... a 57 reissue and a 62 reissue.. one maple neck one rose wood neck...

Hello ChanMin
Could you kindly explain what is the difference you hear? Thanks :)

maple fretboards give a brighter sound. it's...spanky, for lack of a better term. i'd describe them as having more attack than a rosewood fretboard. of course, this is all variable because it depends on a lot of different factors from the curing of the wood to the velocity at which sound is transmitted through the wood, to the wood's density. even woods within the same family can have different tonal characteristics. for example, Brazillian rosewood is pretty bright-sounding, while Indian rosewood is warm.

if you can't tell the difference, i suggest putting a rosewood-fretboard strat side by side with a maple-fretboard strat, blindfold yourself, and play each one unplugged. the difference is audible by most people and obvious to those with sharp ears. this difference is also audible when plugged into a good amp, because the function of good amps is to impart a guitar's tonal characteristics with minimal coloring.

in fact, even with high gain the woods you choose for your guitar influence your final sound. if you had a mahogany-bodied les paul with humbuckers and an indian rosewood fretboard, going through 2 12-inch speakers, vs a mahogany-bodied les paul with a maple cap, soapbar pickups, and a brazillian rosewood fretboard going through 4 10-inch speakers, you'll find the first one to have deeper bass response but possibly sound a little bit muddy, and the second one to have a tighter sound with less bass and more midrange - even if you use a tight high-gain amp like a VHT pitbull.

everything adds up to an audible difference. :)

Hi serial :)

Nice pointers there. Any comments on an instrument's natural compression with regards to rosewood, maple and maybe ebony fingerboards if you played one of those instruments? Thanks.

Maple definitely. Sounds good, doesn't absorb all that grime and stains like rosewood boards 'cos of the laquer. Reflects well on stage too :) Somehow i feel it gives more defination to notes for faster paced songs.

3notesAbar said:
Hi serial :)

Nice pointers there. Any comments on an instrument's natural compression with regards to rosewood, maple and maybe ebony fingerboards if you played one of those instruments? Thanks.

not really...except to mention that ebony is the tonal wood with the slowest velocity through which sound travels, so it has an overall dampening effect on the sound. i'm not really sure what to make of these woods' characteristics with regard to the instrument's natural compression, though. i just assumed that all tonewoods are generally pretty responsive to the subtleties of playing.

anybody have any takes on this?

Latest posts

Back