A Sellout Band

Playing simple songs is fine as long as the musicians themselves geninuely love playing it.

Definition of sellout-One who has betrayed one's principles or an espoused cause

I think playing radio friendly/simple songs hardly qualify as selling out.

I mean what you gonna do, blame the band for getting a record deal? To be even noticed by a record company, you gotta have something(like maybe song with a catchy hook)

Every band has talent (unless you are talking about those purely manufactured bands who don't write their own songs at all), they just need time to develop it, look at Simple plan for example, their songwriting abilities are slowly maturing(like that song about the car crash) as compared to their earlier pop punk anthems.

John Lennon said:
Mick Jagger says about us - in Liverpool, Hamburg and other dance halls. What we generated was fantastic when we played straight rock, and there was nobody to touch us in Britain. As soon as we made it, we made it, but the edges were knocked off. You know, Brian put us in suits and all that, and we made it very, very big. But we sold out, you know. The music was dead before we even went on the theater tour of Britain. We were feeling shit already, because we had to reduce an hour or two hours' playing, which we were glad about in one way, to twenty minutes, and we would go on and repeat the same twenty minutes every night. The Beatles' music died then, as musicians. That's why we never improved as musicians; we killed ourselves then to make it. And that was the end of it

No matter how much pain and suffering you go through, once you sellout, thats it :lol:

Some friends of mine go like "Children of Bodom are sell-outs". Just because they did a Britney cover. I dunno, that cover didn't do anything to me.. In fact, i laughed along..

bam said:
Some friends of mine go like "Children of Bodom are sell-outs". Just because they did a Britney cover. I dunno, that cover didn't do anything to me.. In fact, i laughed along..
You'd get tht often man. It seems like doing something innovative is being labelled as a wrong move to the particular crowd :lol:

what if we dont want to sell-out?
not all artists are "popular", art has mainstream and all the other areas, and most of the time "mainstream" people are there for the $ not the art =(
i'd rather be non-mainstream, have a unique taste of music and sell to people who like my music/lyrics and not how good i look -.- (take taht you asain pop artists! hah!)
c'mon, how many vai, joe satch, DT, van halen, strato, sonata arc, zaza and racerX "fans" roam soft.com, and would you consider any of these to be "mainstream"? for one, u dont hear it on the radios =(( or find their albums in "every convinient CD store" =((( and... well... probably one in a hundred will even know vaguely of them...

Those taiwanese boybands are not musicians, they are just mass produced products, plastic on the outside, hollow in the inside.

rotfl. well, they just. sing. prance around with an open front shirt. rotfl.

cheers to the guys who compose their music. cheers to jay zhou who composes his OWN.

...even though you can't hear the lyrics anyway.

I agree with the bros here though. A band only truly becomes a "sellout" when they change their musical direction for the sake of making money, and not because they love their music.

That was the point I was trying to make earlier with the examples I listed out, but I don't think I made my stand clear. :oops:

Then of course, there's the packaged bands like Simple Plan... :roll:

mm... but they're kinda depressing lyrics, and u just get this feel that they're a fad. give them some time and they'll disappear into obscurity! hah. >.<

there are a few people who support an "underground" band let's say WGB for example...(WHOOHOO...!! power band!!) and they will continually support the band UNLESS it comes to a point where too many people know that the band exists...

i dont know why but these people feel proud that they know "underground" bands and majority doesnt...like it's a secret only meant for them...but when the majority get to know of these bands, they tend to sort of hate the band and diss them and stuff...

shouldn't they be happy and proud that their favourite band is progressing?

and they shouldnt hate the band right? it's not the band's fault...they're just making music that is nice for themselves...at the same time...it happens to sound nice to many people...i doubt that there's many composers that go "hmm...what do 1000 people out there want to hear..." when they begin composing a song...

and lastly, i'd like to say that i love WestGrandBoulevard...is that off the topic?? haha...

(shout outs to Dharma, Nura, Khai and emogal! :wink: )

those people are not into music for music's sake. They are there just to bask in the hip factor.
They are best ignored.

They are just idiots.
Oh and Crispy, I agree. Not everyone wants to break into the mainstream, but they still do. Just ask Kurt Cobain... oh shit, I can't find him anymore. :(

SherT said:
Then of course, there's the packaged bands like Simple Plan... :roll:

i heard that SP was well-received by the underground scene before they signed to their major label and that's when i believe they change their writing direction to really depressional shit. at least, if they stuck to their old stuff, it would be ok. but too bad.

ash said:
i doubt that there's many composers that go "hmm...what do 1000 people out there want to hear..." when they begin composing a song...

i think now, what producers and the managers are looking at are "hmmm...how many ways can i milk out the money from those pea brain adolescents and superficial kids?"

I seriously don't think they really care about what 1000 ppl out there wants to hear, look at the trend now.....The Bravery, The watever watever........what's with all these "The ..." bandnames like The Who and The Cure? It's just like dumb japanese visual kei bands adopting french band names all over the place and selling out....1 way or another. imo it sounds so packaged to me, now the market is gonna be flooded with those brit bands....or wannabes. Maybe i should go form 1 called The Cocks

:roll:

how about The.

is there a band named "THE" yet? JUST the. The. whatever. The.

sounds like a sellout name. who wants to join :D

CrispyEgg said:
how about The.

is there a band named "THE" yet? JUST the. The. whatever. The.

sounds like a sellout name. who wants to join :D

If my memory serves me right, there was such a band called "The The" :lol:

Back