A Sellout Band

Ya, I think people would still play their songs centuries from now. Just like when people still play Beethoven's classical pieces.

They were simply one of the most awesome band of the century, :)

Yeahh..true. The same basic Beethoven's Theory applies. Make a huge hit, & be remembered for eternity. :lol:

but did you ever take into account bands that actually enjoy listening to pop or mainstream, and enjoy writing stuff that they themselves find catchy?

for example, i enjoy anything that has a hook (so i consider everything from Van Halen to Between The Buried And Me pop-ish, as long as it has a hook), and i like writing music that has catchy hooks because it sticks in my own head. if other people a) find it commercially viable, or b) enjoy the music, even though i write the music for myself and not for them, is that still considered selling out?

i'm not sure "sellout" should be defined by the consequences that arise from the band's success or popularity. perhaps it should be defined by whether or not the band actually likes their own music for music's sake.

who knows, maybe Good Charlotte actually likes their own music and the money, girls, and whatever else is just a side benefit. of course, they COULD actually be sellouts. but nobody can confirm or deny it. so it's both presumptuous and ungracious to assume that they are sellouts rather than giving them the benefit of the doubt.

SherT said:
Greendayapprently became sellouts when they made American Idiot. I personally have nothing against it, but some critics do.
Green Day were called sellouts right when they released Dookie.
Oh and anyone who still believe in sell out bands ought to be shot.
BECAUSE THIS INDUSTRY IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! :lol:

my definiton of a sellout band...when a band compromises his musicianship and artisitic integrity for the sake of fame and fortune.

and a band cannot be considered sellouts juz because they're more mainstream than others.

wangdexian said:
SherT said:
Greendayapprently became sellouts when they made American Idiot. I personally have nothing against it, but some critics do.
Green Day were called sellouts right when they released Dookie.
Oh and anyone who still believe in sell out bands ought to be shot.
BECAUSE THIS INDUSTRY IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! :lol:

That may be true, but a guy can rant cant he...lol. :lol:

And I thought they hadn't been labelled as sellouts till American Idiot? Dookie was donkey years ago liao...CD passed from my sis to me. lol.

Hi, my point is that music is subjective. What you consider sell-out is probably not to somebody else.So .. erm.. you like can already! :p
If you think so much about whether you are a sell-out or not, it'll probably get in the way of your making of music. We shouldn't take ourselves to seriously.
Were the Beatles sell-outs? I think that they were one of the greatest bands of all time.

Pier.

gargamelesp said:
lppier said:
Who cares whether it's a so-called sellout band, as long as you like the music can already. Even if you don't like, plenty of other pple will like.

Pier.

you are taking a pretty closed minded approach on this discussion, and i dont think the "who cares" atititude will lead to further informative discussion

in my opinion so long as the band is not lured into CHANGING their style of music i won't consider them as sellouts.

i mean even 10 years ago people were going around saying green day were sellouts for sigining to capitol. but the point here is that even though they did, their music didn't.

sure they made more money and were packaged nicer.. (eg no more spitting on the audience billy...) but their pop punk sensibilities never changed.

i think the real sellouts are bands which let record company execs decide what they should sound like.

i've nothing whatsoever with bands being popular or "not underground" or making a fortune.

think about it, if all music was underground, no one would hear it.. lol

Come on lol, we hardly hear people labeling Green Day as sell outs anymore, they've more than proven their worth by sticking around for 10+ years doing the same stuff. :lol:

This is a very gd point:
for example, i enjoy anything that has a hook (so i consider everything from Van Halen to Between The Buried And Me pop-ish, as long as it has a hook), and i like writing music that has catchy hooks because it sticks in my own head. if other people a) find it commercially viable, or b) enjoy the music, even though i write the music for myself and not for them, is that still considered selling out?

i'm not sure "sellout" should be defined by the consequences that arise from the band's success or popularity. perhaps it should be defined by whether or not the band actually likes their own music for music's sake.
Another gd point:
my definiton of a sellout band...when a band compromises his musicianship and artisitic integrity for the sake of fame and fortune.

and a band cannot be considered sellouts juz because they're more mainstream than others.
Yet another gd point :lol: :
Hi, my point is that music is subjective. What you consider sell-out is probably not to somebody else
Yet another (holy shit i must b bored):
in my opinion so long as the band is not lured into CHANGING their style of music i won't consider them as sellouts.

i mean even 10 years ago people were going around saying green day were sellouts for sigining to capitol. but the point here is that even though they did, their music didn't.

sure they made more money and were packaged nicer.. (eg no more spitting on the audience billy...) but their pop punk sensibilities never changed.

i think the real sellouts are bands which let record company execs decide what they should sound like.

there are some people who relates mainstream bands (especially when pop-punk.. easy victims) as sell-outs. (i agree that simple plan's lyrics sound like they come from suicide club.. hahaha)

when a band gets popular, its most probably because they can really appeal to the masses by having good and memoriable songs. example good charlotte's we believe... straight forward song... nice to hear... simple music but still very appealing...(have to admit, it sounds nice) music doesn't always have to be ear-bleeding solos or non-stop screamo...

its all about the songwriting... (but i still don't understand simple plan's depressional stuff)... a very talented guitarist who suck at songwriting also cannot get mainstream... (imagine a song on perfect 10 with 3 mins of shredding and 1 min of vocals)...

just my 2 cents worth...

Well it all comes down to one thing, who wants to cater to who. Like stated, a guitarist who shreds for 3 mins in a song w/ only a min of vox, some will like tht, some will nt, the masses will nt probably. Bt if thtz what the guitarist wants? Why nt? Bt what if thtz nt what he/she wants? And he/she goes searching for a gd lyricist n finally his/her songs r gd to go n out on the media. So whatz wrong with tht? Itz his/her choice. So it reli depends u c. Therez no right or wrong meaning to being a sell-out, no fixed definition. Bt well the english dictionary has itz own meaning: "a situation in which some1/group betrays some1 else/another group who trusted him/her/them, by not doing something tht he/she/they promised/not promised to do."
This is nothing to worry abt. Be yourself, do ur music, enjoy what u do, have fun, have a gd life, nice house, nice babes, nice cars, or nice trash. Just go with what u think u want.

Well i think so. Hahah..it does take up lotsa space bt when i quote or post something i have no sense of what i should do n should not do :lol:

8)

hmmz...

cloudsky and me know pretty damned well. the beatles didnt quite like the songs in which they did at the beginning. but even then , it was still GOOD.

the beatles didnt "sell-out" in the modern context. we are talking about their early days , not when beatlemania was out in full swing. the Beatles had talent. the lenon-mccartney songwriting duo produced so many songs. yesterday by paul mccartney is still the most covered song in all musical history. during their early pre-hamburg years the beatles struggled, till a point at which they performed for a simple meal of baked beans on toast. call such a band sell-out ? come on guys.. thats way too superficial

they had the talent . they had the ability. and they worked bloody damned hard to get where they are. that is entirely my point. i mean , in comparison to the past , rock legends and rock greats , eddie van halen , deep purple , led zepplin , jimi hendrix , SRV , iron maiden , megadeth.

to place bands who play much more simple punk stuff (got nothing against punk) , something simple , something easy . something radio friendly. and become mega stars overnight. it just dosent do justice to the millions of talented people before them. hence. sell-outs

[/b]

stars said:
they had the talent . they had the ability. and they worked bloody damned hard to get where they are. that is entirely my point. i mean , in comparison to the past , rock legends and rock greats , eddie van halen , deep purple , led zepplin , jimi hendrix , SRV , iron maiden , megadeth.

to place bands who play much more simple punk stuff (got nothing against punk) , something simple , something easy . something radio friendly. and become mega stars overnight. it just dosent do justice to the millions of talented people before them. hence. sell-outs
Nice 1 :D

You people make it sound like people who make it big owe a living to all of you. If they had the talent, and couldn't make it big... something MUST be missing. Too bad I guess. :twisted:

All those bands on MTV wouldn't have made it if not for their popularity, though if they r known to have the skill. And popularity = the general public

Back