ToneQuesT -Guitar Gear 101+Live Looping event at ARtsHouse

Great event! Wendy Phua was magnificent... really opened my eyes towards bass techniques. And yes, I wish I had a grandma like Mary Ho. Can jam together at home :D

But eye opener was definitely Randolf's live looping and of course that HK Mk I..... Very very versatile indeed!

Totally love the show.
I saw James too.

Wendy Phua's compositions were incredible.
I wanna ditch guitaring already.

it was a good event! more of this please..
i was like standing throughout the event and my legs were aching but the aural assault delivered by the 3 artist made me carry on. awesome!

watching mary ho played really moved me. she's such an inspiration. makes me wanna buck up on my playing and really push myself.

wendy was great as usual. she just keeps getting better. i remember seeing her play for the first time when my band played together with her then current band, "playing in traffic", and she just keeps on amazing me with her technique

randolph was such a dear as always. it really makes me happy to know that we have the same background (ethnicity) and that no matter how "high" a status he's achieved in the realm of guitar artistry, he's still as humble and very much an overall nice chap!

pat and james should be commended as well for putting up and supporting this kind of events all the way.

cheers!

wonderful workshop! came in during wendy's set, she's awesome as always. and randolf looping set was really awesome.. and the hughes & kettner amp's tone is orgasmic.

gd luck for the festival randolf! have fun :)

Randolf's set was mindblowing! He kinda reminds me of KT Tunstall.

I finally got to play a gibson yesterday. Well, actually 4 of them. :blushes:

Thanks to all who came by yesterday and also tanx to all the wonderful ppl who helped make the event a lovely possibility. The turnout was great and you guys stayed till te end some more! A mish mash of Music and Guitar lovers the attendess like the performers from age groups of young and old showed up Yup, Great, great fun it was! :)

Apologies for the obvious lack of chairs for those who stood or sat on the floor ya.

Tanx to Mary Ho for joining us and performing her heartfelt performance on her Les Paul Junior through a Fender Amp and sharing her own personal Tonequest journey with all present. A definite inspiration for all young and old.

Tanx to Wendy Phua who despite having just recovered from a bout of Dengue Fever earlier last week played a very awe inspired performance of her originals on the Tobias BASS through her Boss GT6B into the Hartke Amp Head and Spkr Cab.

Tanx also the John of AWEinOne Picks who came by to hand me some new prototypes of his latest ingenous pick designs to try out. Sweet.

Tanx also to Gibson for the great support and selection of the fine fine guitars including the debut appearance of the latest wonder the "SElf Tuning" Les Paul.

Tanx also to the lovely crew who worked around and behind us throughout the event.

Tanx to Music for Good all the kind sponsors and also to soft.com.sg and all the supporters.

So do write me to inform about your ideas and suggestions for future Tonequest events. Cheers!

:)

Last edited:
So do write me to inform about your ideas and suggestions for future Tonequest events.
hmmm, future tonequest ideas aye. how bout like explaining how the different pedals you're using affects your position in the band. like how to use an eq effectively when needed, etc. we all know how shiok it is to palm mute in our own bedrooms with lots of bass on it but such tone definitely wont work as well in a band's context, as your guitar's tone will just be muffled behind instead. i.e: getting a good balance of that tone in your head vs practicality when jamming. i hope u get my drift. lol

yeah!! i would love to see what emg-rocks suggested
maybe u could teach us how to get diff and great tones out of diff effects and amps.. :)

Thanks everybody!

A big thank you to everyone who came to ToneQuest yesterday! Sorry about the lack of chairs. We'll be prepared for a big turnout the next time.

I would like to thank Randolf for his passion to share his knowledge and ideas for ToneQuest, Wendy Phua for her contribution and willingness to share her experiences and to perform (despite just recovering from dengue fever), Mary Ho for performing and being an inspiration to everybody young or old, and the band Peepshow for helping to carry the equipment and gear, and especially to SK for being the soundman. Also a big shout out to Johnson from Gibson guitars, James of soft.com.sg, Natalie from The Arts House and all the other sponsors for making the event possible.

Randolf and I hope to organise more ToneQuests so we would appreciate any suggestions or feedback. Thanks!

Cheers,

Patrick Chng
www.musicforgood.org
www.myspace.com/music4good

Tanx for the kind messages emg. All suggestions will be considered. :) Don't b so shy next time eh. Aldabest in the music for you too. Cheers.

Ok so here's a listing of the rig I used which was configured for the last Tonequest event.

tonequest_09.jpg

Guitar in pic is a Yamaha Pacifica 912J from '95 with stock pickups Dimarzio PAF Pro and Dimarzio HS2 x 2. The other significant Guitar used at the later part of the afternoon was the Godin Multiac Steel Duet (Non Midi) with stock LR Baggs pickups. I used my old Gibson Goldtop circa '69 with stock pickups in the final segment of demonstrating the rich tonal range of a a full tube amp head with a 4x12 speaker cab and also the versatility of the H&K Triamp MkI.

Pedals as seen on pic standing as I am looking down from right to left);

1. Boss CS3 Compressor Sustainer (Custom Stealth Mod)
2. Crybaby 535Q Wah (Custom Voice n on/off LED Mod)

(Top Row)
3. Z Vex Fuzz Factory (Custom Chaos Mod)
4. Dynacomp (Custom Build + Mod)
5. Radial Hotshot ABY Switcher (Custom Mod)

(2nd Row)
5. Boss TU2
6. Boss SD1 Super Overdrive (Custom Trinity Mod)
7. Boss BD2 Bluesdriver (Custom Ghost Driver Mod)
8. Boss DS1 Distortion (Custom Switchblade Mod)
9. Boss DD2 Digital Delay (Custom Hi Cut Mod)
10. Boss DD6 Digital Delay (Custom Hi Cut Mod)

(3rd Row)
11. Yamaha Magic Stomp (Custom Switch Mod)
12. Boss DD20 Giga Delay (Custom Vol + Tone Mod)

(Left Group)
13. Boss RC50 (Feedback Mod)
14. Custom Control Switcher for RC50
15. Realtime Controller for RC50

Amps:
1. Carvin X100b 100 watt tube amp head (Custom EQ Voice and Gain Mod)
2. Hughes and Kettner Triamp MkI 100 watt 6 channels tube amp head (Thanks Julian!)
3. Fender Super 60 tube combo amp
4. Carvin X100 4x12 Speaker Cabinet with Celestion V30s

Note: My system configured for the show was rigged to run 3 way (Super 60/ Amp Head to 4x12/???Amp Simulator into PA).

All the pieces of gear were made by their respective original manufacturers. All personalized mods were done and taken in full responsibilty for by yours truly.

Last edited:
On behalf of Pat and Music for Good...

quoting Pat's words;

A big thank you to everyone who came to ToneQuest yesterday! Sorry about the lack of chairs. We'll be prepared for a big turnout the next time.

I would like to thank Randolf for his passion to share his knowledge and ideas for ToneQuest, Wendy Phua for her contribution and willingness to share her experiences and to perform (despite just recovering from dengue fever), Mary Ho for performing and being an inspiration to everybody young or old, and the band Peepshow for helping to carry the equipment and gear, and especially to SK for being the soundman. Also a big shout out to Johnson from Gibson guitars, James of soft.com.sg, Natalie from The Arts House and all the other sponsors for making the event possible.

Pat and I hope to organise more ToneQuests so we would appreciate any suggestions or feedback. Thanks!

...and now getting ready for the Y2K7 Loopfest in Santa Cruz.

Thanks to all involved and who came by for last sat's wonderful afternoon of Tonequest.

As promised here's the link to the upcoming Y2K7 International Live Looping Festival in Santa Cruz. It's packing time for me and I hope all will be well for my family and myself. Tanks buds!

http://www.y2kloopfest.com/

poster.jpg

A BIG thanks to everyone for being so supportive! It was indeed an exciting show and an inspiring one at that, with Randolf's masterful performance of live looping songs and auntie Mary's heartfelt guitar solo.

As Randolf had mentioned during the show, it was the first time for me to deliver a bass solo performance and also the first time my bass solo pieces "Stormy Weather" followed by "Sojourn" had an audience. You can imagine the trepidation I was feeling up on stage :) But I had a great time playing and the crowd was very kind and supportive. I look forward to performing more bass solo shows soon and hope to have the good fortune to meet such a receptive crowd once more :)

Ran, thanks for giving me my first opportunity to perform my bass solo tunes. bless ya and I love that first loop tune you did! we gotta jam that once you're back from your USA tour...

Patrick, sorry to trouble you with helping me lug that ACME cabinet which weighs a TON. thanks for the kind help!

Johnson, the Tobias Classic was fabulous at the show and truly gave me the confidence to play what has been in my mind all this while. thank you for the support from Gibson!

last note: here's a breakdown of the rig I had during Tonequest. nothing compared to Randolf's smorgasboard of pedal delights, but here goes:

- Tobias Classic 4-String Bass (big thanks to Gibson)
- Boss GT-6B Bass Effects Processor
- Hartke HA 4000 Bass Preamp (400 watts into 4 ohms)
- Acme B-4 4x10 Bass Cabinet (big thanks to Jonathan Sim for this awesome cab)
- DR Strings (.40-.120)
- Half-Size Violin Bow (used on string-intro section of "Stormy Weather")

last last note: Ran, that Hughes and Kettner is ****ing awesome. lets buy one each when Embryo finally hits the charts! And best wishes for your Y2K7 tour, its your big break that's been long overdue :)

Glad to know you had a great time at Tonequest Wendy. Great tunes you played and I felt moved by them. :)
I heard from Pat about the brave bt abandoned attempt to haul that ACME spkr cab up your place. Hah! Tanx for the kind words and yes we'll have a jam on some of the new tunes and improvs that I'v been compiling over the last coupla months. Loads of new ideas to add on to our creative option anxiety! Hehehehe. :) Ok take care now.

I'd like to share with one and all here a gracious email which Pat and I received from a Tonequest attendee sharing with us his experience from the event;

"Hi Pat, The Tonequest workshop you hold was really an eye opener for me and my band. We feel that it has really help us alot in terms of musicianship as well as, believe it or not, as a person. You, and Randolf...despite being the giants in our local music scene, am not only respectable musicians, but also down to earth and humble in your own ways. We really respect what you are doing for the local scene, and we are inspired to develope the scene by believing in our music and continue writing songs. As we are a new band, we know it's not easy for bands like us to break through the music scene, moreover being able to have a workshop like Tonequest available to us. We appreciate you giving opportunity for new acts to perform, giving us platform to start out.

Randolf's sharing his life as a musician, on how he started out was very inspirational to us. It's not easy doing music in Singapore, but the stories told by the musicians performed today has kind of give us hope with our own self and our music.

Thank you Patrick and Randolf for the sharing session/workshop. It's been inspirational. We can't wait to perform and share our music with you guys and our friends on the 30th of November.

Thanks again.
The Atria

P.S Sir Randolf, if you need help to store your stuff, or if you don't have enough space to keep your gadgets, I got loads of space at home. =) Anyway...thanks again.It's been a very helpful and inspirational workshop."

Back