ToneQuesT -Guitar Gear 101+Live Looping event at ARtsHouse

I wonder what is your approach to composition, if you're willing to talk about it. Also, while doing looping live, do you still ever consciously think about stepping that button to start and stop looping or it has already become second nature?

Of course there's a straightforward answer - the more you do it, the less u think about it.

Just like switching pickup selectors and rolling up and down of the guitar's volume knob... yes the more you do it the less u think about. :)

Hi Lovelies! :)

Addressing enquiries regarding amps used in the coming performance and workshop. The various amps will help demonstrate how the same guitar into the same pieces of pedals will sound vastly different in character through different amp head designs and speaker and cab design.

I will also describe and demonstrate the difference between pre and power tube section gain in tone and saturation characteristics and also the influence over the amp's tone stack circuitry.

I would love to include more amps but perhaps for a later edition of Tonequest down the road in the future.

Do keep notifying me of ur own topics of interests that I may consider to include. :)

maybe you can cover all the amps with a black cloth, let the audience 'listen' to which is the one they like. end of the day then disclose the box behind.

music

Randolf
It made a very good reply. Thank you. I appreciate it. I learnt something at least.

I wonder what is the actual schedule on that day?

How will the testing of guitars be held?

Cheers
monk

You may want to bring along your favourite guitar and pedal to patch in and just have a go at the amp and pedals setup. That should be fun too eh?! :)

day schedule

personally, i hope that u can talk about gear maintenance
and i hope to have more strats to try out

also .. mebbe some good effects to try out

have u got the fulltone '69?
or the chandler tube driver?

monk

Tanx for reminding me. :)
Spot on! Perhaps u'd b glad to know that I'm including discussion about choosing, using and maintenace of the selected gear for each individual's musical's needs.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes yes! :) tanx for the reminders and cues folks...also included in the demo and discussionat this coming sat at Tonequest will include about pedal and amp tone and drive stacking strategies for different guitars and musical styles from classic to modern styles. :)

Quote:
"ive some questions for randolf .. but before that, i think it's most impt to concentrate on getting good tone out of the fingers than any thing else

1) which dyna compressor is good? mxr?

2) is swee lee's maintenance and repair dept reliable? hmm

3) what's the difference between overdrive and distortion?

4) what are the different types of strings out there... i kinda confused with this wound that wound and the difernt metal etc etc

i will have more questions in the future!

CHEEEEEEEEERSS!!
monk"

All valid and popular queries. We'll address them this sat ya. :)

Ok so here we go, we're just one day away from the Tonequest event tomorrow.

Do swing by with your fav guitar and pedal and amp head or Spkr Cab (if you want to) :) We'll be collecting questions and suggested topics of concerns to include in the Guitar GEAR 101 segment.

Tanx to all the supportive enquiries and emails and also to "Music for Good", James of soft.com.sg and all the wonderful people and sponsors who'r making this event a possibility.

Ok, so I hope to see you all there to exchange warm hellos and hot RIFFs! Heh :)

Take care Buds!

Will there be any selling of equipment? Judging from the guitars, I guess Gibson is the sponsor. Will the Lightning Bolt Straps be available?

Directions to The Art House

Here's the map to the Arts House. If you're taking the MRT, alight at City Hall and walk towards Adelphi. Walk past Adelphi and after the new Supreme Court building, turn left. The Arts House is on the right so cross the road and you're there. You can see the restaurant 1827 from across the road.

arts_house_map.jpg

"ITS NOW OR NEVER!"
lol..strong words

man, the performances were great and the talks were interesting
lol.. however not enough chairs for everybody...lol..

main.php

Some of the guitars on display.

main.php

What a crowd! Loads of supporters.

main.php

Grandma Mary with songs from her upcoming album.

main.php

Supporters from Grandma Mary's family.

main.php

Wendy Phua on her musical journey.

main.php

Wendy tapping on the bass.

main.php

Q&A session for Wendy.

main.php

Randolf (embryo) talking about all the knobs and buttons.

Yeah. Too little chairs. But it was enjoyable although i didnt stay throughout the whole event. Mary ho is so cute la. I wish my grandmother was at least half as cool as her...

Back