ToneQuesT -Guitar Gear 101+Live Looping event at ARtsHouse

embryo

tonequest.jpg

MUSIC FOR GOOD PRESENTS
TONEQUEST at THE ArtsHouse Blue Room

Event: ToneQuest (An event of Guitar Gear 101 and Live Looping by Randolf Arriola)
Date and Time: 6 Oct 2pm to 6pm
Venue: Arts House (Blueroom)
Admission: Free
Attendees: Anyone and everyone who are guitar gear enthusiasts, amatuers, semi n pros and the curios.

Featuring;

Randolf Arriola Guitar Gear 101+ Live Looping Performance and Q&A.
As a fulltime musician Randolf walks the fine often blurred line between professional and artistic. His unique attitude and approach on the guitar treating it more like a paintbrush is a deft combination of eclectic musical tastes with ever evolving technology ever seeking to discover and add new colors, textures and depths to his reverence for song and sound craft.

As a sought-after performer, speaker, educator at events he's become a regular feature at the annual "TAGS" (The Art of Gear Stomping), Music for Good- music gear and performance and has been chosen to represent Gibson Guitars at WOMAD 2007 (World of Music, Arts & Dance) Festival 2007 and the coming TONEQUESTevent. Currently performing solo live weekly at Harry's Harbour Front and Millenia Walk, Randolf is a featured performer in this year's Y2K7 International Live Looping Festival held in Santa Cruz North California USA. Randolf together with Wendy Phua is also working to complete and release recordings of originals under his project group "The Embryo".

Also Featuring; Live Solo performances and Q&A with

Wendy Phua - Bass Guitar and beyond! Solo Performance n Q&A
Wendy Phua plays and approaches the Bass Guitar beyond the obvious low registers of the instrument. Previously with the award winning the local band Zhen she is currently a member and formidable creative force in Embryo with Randolf who are currently recording.

Mary Ho - Solo Lead Guitar performance followed by Q&A.
Mary Ho is considered at her age of 71 the coolest Grandma in S'pore and quite possibly around the world because she loves electric lead guitar, practises, plays and is currently recording her debut album of some of her all time favourite guitar instrumentals.

Gibson Guitars, Basses and amps on display for free test run! Models include those featured at Womad 2007 and more!

1. Gibson Slash Custom Shop Les Paul Standard
2. Gibson Larry Carlton Custom Shop Mr 335
3. Gibson BB King Lucille
4. Gibson SG Reissue 61
5. Gibson HD6X Pro
6. Gibson Classic Custom Les Paul
7. Gibson Melody Maker
8. Epiphone Emperor Regent
9. Steinberger Synapse SS25
10. Steinberger Synapse Transcale
11. Gibson Money Bass
12. Tobias Classic Bass
13. Epiphone Allen Woody RumbleKat Bass
14. Epiphones Jack Casady Bass

Amps Epiphone Valve Standard

TONEQUEST at the ArtsHouse event is made possible by;
Organizer - Music For Good .
Supported by:: Gibson, The Arts House, National Arts Council, Singapore Pools, Singapore Totalisator Board

Oh. I'm there. I missed the one at Womad and NUS, but definitely up for this.

Art house, its beside the padang, opposite the court. Opposite/near victoria theater.

You think Auntie Mary will lend me some of her guitars for recording and her maid as a roadie to help me lug my equipment around? Very heavy lah...

Welll actually... come to think about it maybe if you won the lucky draw you might just get what you wish for aging youth bro! heheheheehe.

... abt enquiries if this event is gonna be some kinda gathering among gearheads here in soft... hmmm well I think that's pretty cool besides it's really in my interest to encourage get togethers and also to meet and make new friends and network with fellow peers and enthusiasts. So if you guys wanna take this opp to make it a gathering, hey why not? Let me know if you have any ideas I could consider.

The wonderful folks of "Music for Good" have made this event admission free so all you gotta do is just mark your calender and make it a date with ur fellow kakis and spread the word to others and simply show up and make it a lovely afternoon for one and all ya. :)

Tanx for the kind words of support and encouragement. :)

As I'll be performing an exclusive mini preview of the Loopfest set in Santa Cruz for the coming Tonequest event I tot I'd like to share with those of you curious or interested to noe what's all this fuss about live looping is all about at the website for the Y2K7 International Live Looping Festival website;

"Y2K7 International Live Looping Festival info and website"

Y2K7 will be a 6th year celebration of the Y2K loop festival series and the biggest festival yet. We've expanded to three days and two nights to accomodate all the amazing performers and there will be 50 some odd performers from 10 countries attending and performing.
We will have technology premiers and the Mayor will declare, Saturday, October 20th "International Live Looping Day" in the City of Santa Cruz and present proclamations to our headlining artists and featured performers.

Here's the link to the website for the biggest Live Looping Festival featuring performers, artists and sound designers from around the globe; http://www.y2kloopfest.com:80/

:)

Tonequest gear updates;

Responding to requests and enquiries I'm including the following guitars and amps in the Guitar Gear 101 segment;

Guitars;
1. Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Vintage '69 with Custom Split Coil and Phase Reversal Switching
2. Fender Custom Shop '54 Stratocaster with Lindy Fralins and Custom Tele Switch
3. Telecaster with Dimarzio Twang King pup set
4. Yamaha Pacifica 912J With Dimarzio PAF Pro and HS2

Amps;
1. Hughes and Kettner TRIAMP MKI Head (Tanx Julian!)
2. Carvin X100B Head (circa 1988)
3. Fender Super 60 1x12 All Tube Combo
4. Carvin 4x12 Half Stack with Celestion V30s

Last edited:
sory for my noobie question...where is THE ArtsHouse Blue Room ? anyone can give me some idea how to go there..thanks a lot..Cheers

No problem at all...

The Artshouse used to be the old Parliament House where our ministers would congregate there for thinking up any new benevelont policies... :)

Where is it? Well you'll notice this large football field directly opposite City Hall right? That field is called the "Padang" The Artshouse is the bunch of white buildings that are across the road opposite the far end of the "Padang" field.

Quote:
"i saw some videos of you guys on youtube and i appreciate the work you've done however, when we look back at some of the great guitar players in the world, present and past, i would dare say that not many resort to huge amount of effects ... they present feelings through their fingers, choice of notes and playingi wonder what are your thoughts on this - monk"

Hi Monk, that's quite a fair observation but imho pretty much incorrect as a sweeping statement. I believe there will always be room and significance for musicians who approach their instruments from a purist and classical approach as well as those who pursue the extreme possibilities of combining limitless imagination with the technology of yesterday, today and tommorow.

I'd like to inject my own sweeping statement here; I feel that music in it's most primal and honest form that can still move the soul without relying on any other external instrument is really what we all have ie. just the human voice with hands clapping and feet stomping forming a symphony of rhythm and tune... just like we all did in school and the army eh.

I have a deep level of respect and admirations for artists who execute their own unique art form of music with just a simple beautiful acoustic guitar likewise I see nothing wrong or lacking imho for others who pursue extreme ends of making sounds, noises and sonic collage with almost anything one can think of these days to play on or affect the instrument we call the Guitar. Personally what's truly most important to me is that the end result of what's hopefully still "sound" to our ears should move the listener and yet transcend all the theoretical, technical wizardry and overwhelming mind boggling technology used to execute the sound from the guitar or any other instrument...real or virtual.

Acoustic players whom I admre and love listening to like Robert Johnson, Michael Hedges, Joe Pass, Lenny Breau, Sergovia, Tony Rice and Paco De Lucia among many other acoustic players are all great musicians yet minimalists as far as guitar equipment is concerned. Great musicans all of them with their sheer great technique and deep musicality that they can evoke from the acoustic guitar.

Jimi Hendrix, Brian Setzer, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, Brian May, Clapton, Van Halen and and many others of the Blues Rock and early Metal era are now considered pretty minimalist when compared to the modern era spanning the 80's to current day. When Jimi who preceded everyone in modern rock did what he did with the Fender Strat into a wah, fuzz and octavia into the Marshall stacks he was able to coax his equipment to evoke anything from the sound of whispers to the barrage of the Vietnam war. Leo Fender and James Marshall themelves said they never envisioned their designs in guitars and amps to do that....that's totally Jimi playing his gear with his unrelentless passion and out of this world child like imagination. What Hendrix did is without a doubt imho changed the way everyone approached or played the instrument. I'm sure there were purists of the day then and now who shun at how and what he did on the guitar.

David Gilmour, Andy Summers, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, The Edge, David Torn, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Zappa, Pat Metheny, Steve Lukather, Satriani, Eric Johnson and let's not forget Mr Steve Vai are just some among a long list of some of the most incredible guitarists today who are creating music with incredible sounds using their wide array of guitars and not at all shying from combining cutting edge guitar playing techniques with a large dose of technology. Guitars that sometimes if not often sound unlike the guitar or even remotely close to any real instrument. The human nature to expand or abandon established musical forms and sounds will always be the spirit of the present cutting edge.

...and after all's been said and done there's Derek Bailey! For one so revered as a Bebop Jazz to go out for lunch and not return...metaphorically speaking. :)

Comparisons to establish the worth of a musician and his music between Accomplished Classical Guitarists with the (Les Paul into Marshall) Blues and Hard Rockers against the Cutting Edge Modern Electronic Guitarists (whatever genre the may be...) is like trying to compare classical painted art forms against analog film based photography against modern digital photography against photoshop wizards... They all coexist.

In short "To each his own" :)

Last edited:
Hello

Hello Randolf

i appreciate your reply and of cos music and choice of delivery is personal. I hope that you recognise that I was just asking for your thoughts on things. At the end of the day, music should really remain a topic for discussion and less a debate.

I wonder what is your approach to composition, if you're willing to talk about it.
Also, while doing looping live, do you still ever consciously think about stepping that button to start and stop looping or it has already become second nature?

In my imagination, I would like think of playing live as a total expression of emotions and ideas where feeling is everything. Thus if say I have to be thinking of pressing this button and that, it might interupt the flow of my feelings/emotions. Of course there's a straightforward answer - the more you do it, the less u think about it.

Hope to say hello at the tonequest event. In the meantime, peace.

Tanx for the sweet encouragement TyMusic! :)
Ur range of THD, Barber, Lindy Fralins and Ohmlabs are among the finest selections thankfully made more accessible for the rest of us.
C u there. Aldabest to u too! :)

Hi Monk, that's all cool with me. Yes and to add music should be played and listened to with an open heart. Getting into debates talking about it merely detracts from the original beauty no matter how hard we try to find and use words to express what we feel when music does it more eloquently. Hehe pretty much like trying to describe the taste without tasting I feel sometimes ya. :)

It wud be really nice to meet u there at Tonequest. C u :)

...Composition and Improvisation would also be interesting topics to discuss and share ideas on the day...hopefully with enuff time. I feel that everyone's got their own unique methods but something I do associate closely with the act of composition and improvisation is the spoken language. Basically the wider the vocabulary the more options we may have in forming variations in sentences to communicate different levels of depth in thought, feeling or story.

However vocabulary alone isn't enuff....as there's also other elements in a language like word choice, phrasing, tone, pacing, accent, diction... all of which quite interestingly applicable to Musical Performance, Composition and Improvisation too ya :)

i think it was BB King who said it best "Young folks speak too fast with lotsa big fancy words when all the lady really needs to hear are simple words spoken with heartfelt honesty."

Back