The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

Hahah, no problems. I think the French team is crap. But i still stand by my decision to include a proven striker on the bench. Which means maybe Louis Saha. Planus is untested but he does play magnificently for Bordeaux. The exclusion of Jean-Alain Boumsong, Julien Escude and Phillippe Mexes stumps me too. My 11 would be a 4-2-2-2. Landreau, Sagna, Gallas, Mexes, Evra, Vieira, L. Diarra, Ribery, Malouda, Henry and Anelka.
My Spanish 11: Casillas, Ramos, Marchena, Puyol, Albiol, Xavi Hernandez, Xabi Alonso, Cesc Fabregas/David Silva/Iniesta to fight out the remaining two slots, and Torres Villa upfront.
Argentinian: Sergio Romero, Coloccini, Demechelis, Samuel, Heinze, Messi, Veron, Mascherano, Di Maria, Aguero, Tevez.

Anyone else care to share their starting elevens?

Spain: 3-5-2 GK: Casillas CB: Ramos Pique Puyol RM: Iniesta CM: Fabregas Xavi Alonso LM: Silva ST: Torres Villa
England: 4-4-2 GK: Green RB: Glen Johnson CB: Terry Ferdinand LB: Ashley Cole RM: Lennon CM: Lampard Barry LM: Gerrard ST: Rooney Agbonlahor
Germany: 4-3-3 GK: Neuer RB: Lahm CB: Mertesacker Westermann LB: Badstuber DM: Schweinsteiger CM: Oezil Trochowski LF: Podolski CF: Klose RF: Cacau
Argentina: 4-3-3 GK: Romero RB: Otamendi CB: Samuel Demichelis LB: Heinze DM: Mascherano CM: Veron AM: Di Maria LF: Messi CF: Milito/Higuain RF: Aguero/Tevez

The Argentinean forward line looks really really scary, 5 world-class strikers who've been in sterling form all season. Hard to call.

thumbs down to Channel 5's telecast of the world cup: there's a good 3 seconds worth of delay compared to the MIO/ Starhub channels...
angry-smiley-178.gif

I don't care for the formation Argentina will play in..
as long as they come to play.

Been a huge fan of their rugby& been a huge fan of their footy since the days of Mario Kempes, when shorts were really short(s).

thumbs down to Channel 5's telecast of the world cup: there's a good 3 seconds worth of delay compared to the MIO/ Starhub channels...
angry-smiley-178.gif

At least they showed it for free. :D

Edit: Yesterday Giovanni Dos Santos put up a fantastic performance. I'm impressed. Hope to see more of him, but i can't unless Mexico go to the semis...

Carlos Alberto, brilliant coach. The way the bafana boys came out to play in the 2nd half, threading passes in between defenders..whoa. He really exploited the lack of pace - as opposed to his boys - in defence, was sublime.

I'm sure we'll see more of Dos Santos after the World Cup, crucial game for him would be against France, see how he performs against more experienced players.

Blanco, old man but he still have 'em touches here& there.

Blanco looked heavy. Very heavy. And they operated him on the wings. They should've put him as a centre and Hernandez on the side, or left Vela/Franco on.

I got a strange and funny feeling ARGENTINA is gonna win the World Cup, despite being written off by many people. Why? (i) Lionel Messi, (ii) they will score a few lucky goals and also get lucky in defence, (iii) they will plod their way through the hard way winning by a single goal (iv) they win all their penalty shoot-outs, (v) Maradona's strange tactics and team selection turns out to be a blessing.

And Maradona doing the belly flop and running through Buenos Aires in the nude will be a treat to all.

I had personally supported for many previous World Cups having come and gone over GERMANY!!!

And it will always be Germany!!!!! And was pretty awesome that they beat Australia 4-0….Wow!!!!!

South Korea & Japan surely lived up their form by gaining experiences after a few rounds in participating in the two or more previous World Cups….Lets see if North Korea would surprise us…..Or even Ghana, Uruguay, Paraguay, Portugal, Honduras…..

About the 80’s World Cup, Memories of my favourite all time German goalkeeper Harold Schumacher, Players like Karl Heinz Rummenigge, Rudi Voller….

Though you had brilliant teams having participated in previous World Cups like Netherlands, Denmark, Cameroon, Argentina, Belgium, Russia, Italy, France, Brazil, Spain, ….

Excellent Players and Goalkeepers having played in the past like Ruud Gullit, Roger Milla, Diego Maradona, Nery Pumpido, Jean-Marie Pfaff, Rinat Dasayev, Dino Zoff, Paolo Rossi, Antonio Cabrini, Michel Platini, Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Zubizarreta, etc.

And to reflect upon earliest history of World Cups….You had earlier participants like Uruguay, Venezuela….

England….As much as I was very much in the loop in the 80’s over English & Scottish Leagues be it Manchester United (Mark Hughes, Frank Stapleton, Bryan Robson), Tottenham Hotspur (Steve Archibald, Glenn Hoddle, Osvaldo Ardilles), Liverpool (Bruce Grobbelaar, Ian Rush, Kenny Dalglish)…..England varied in skills as an International Team for any World Cups….And who knows? Maybe England may surprise us by getting to the semi-finals or so forth….Yup….Those 80’s Shoot! (Football magazines…..)

It was obvious that England was on the attacking side during The USA Vs England match.

Am looking forward to the matches :

Brazil vs North Korea
Argentina vs South Korea
Netherlands vs Japan

Cameroon vs Denmark
Denmark vs Japan
Cameroon vs Netherlands

Just a little little side track ah.... Wanna guess in a football match I mean big ones like EPL and WC, how many cameras are there altogether capturing the moment? Or anyone knows can tell me/us? I was wondering since young how can they manage to replay almost immediately of any fouls, offsides, etc...IN CLOSE UPS somemore.

To me i guess there might a camera following each players including the goalies. That will be 22 cameras.

1 camera on top of the stadium, roof. 23

1 camera attach to a helicopter. 24

1 on EACH side behind the goal post, using the 'crane'. 26

1 on EACH side of the coach. 28

1 mobile camera on EACH left and right side of the field. 30

Total=30??

Sorry guys i know i damn bo liao (nothing better to do) as the Brazil match's 1st half really drives me crazy.

Haha wow this thread is stickied! I'm honoured lol. Well, i guess the action starts now, with Spain losing to Switzerland! Federer vs Nadal anyone? The only other good matches were Germany vs Australia and Uruguay vs Soth Africa. Waddaya guys think of Spain's loss? I watched the match, looks to me Spain were simply too complacent and overplayed a lot of their chances, Villa and Torres didn't look sharp at all. As for the camera thing, i think the number's about there?

Well i'm with the underdogs. So North Korea, Mexico, Japan and Serbia are amongst my favourites. North Korea got a tough group, Mexico got it pretty simple though. (I expect Mexico to beat Uruguay by a small margin and draw with France, while France beat South Africa.) Serbia thoroughly disappointed. Japan exceeded expectations.
And this WC seriously has a lack of goals.

So far it's been lack of goals.
Galore on blunders on the world stage.
Plentiful of "Ballon" into the stands.

Could it be like the rumors have said it?

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................. . . . . .

THE BALL!

Adidas_Jabulani_Matchball2010.jpg

jabulani-explode.jpg

Robert-Green-of-England-001.jpg

capt.178a50abe7664635a4721f4a31c07081-178a50abe7664635a4721f4a31c07081-0.jpg

Germany scored the most goals so far in a single match.
Could it be that Mr adidas has given germany that slight edge over a ball?
hehehe
;)

I have just been seeing too many ballon into the stands in the games that it's getting predictable. last night's spain vs switz was no exception as well.

Last edited:
Back