The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

loldude333

Hey guys! Now that Chelsea have wrapped up the title with a stunning home win, its time to bring the shutters down on the EPL and head over the South Africa for some mouthwatering action! This edition of the World Cup sees Spain and Brazil heading in as strong favourites, Spain after winning Euro 2008 in style and Brazil, after their revival under Dunga. There are dark horses of course, never count out the likes of Germany, England, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Argentina. Who do YOU think will walk away with the famed Jules Rimet trophy this June? Have YOUR say here!

For me, i've always been a fan of Spain, and you can argue that they've got the best midfield in the world, with Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso and Silva expected to run the show. And the strikeforce, made up of David Villa and Fernando Torres, will also definitely expect to be considered as THE world's most deadly. Perhaps the only weak link could be at the left-back berth, where there is a conspicuous lack of a big-name player. I'm banking on Spain to win, a Spain-Brazil final, and an England-Germany 3rd/4th placing match.

Players to watch:

1. Raul Albiol. This is his first WC, it'll be interesting to see whether the experience galvanises or crushes him.
2. Bastian Schweinsteiger. Ever since his move to the centre of midfield at Bayern Munich, he's been a revelation. Sure, he doesn't score as many goals but his distribution and ability on the ball have been maximised. Remains to be seen if he can forge a good partnership with any one of the other German CMs (Ballack, Frings, Hitzlsperger, maybe even Trochowski)
3. Joe Hart. The young goalkeeper has been a revelation with Birmingham in the EPL this season, let's see whether the WC can be his stepping stone to bigger things.
4. Eljero Elia. El-what? This guy's been tearing up defences in the Dutch league this season. Pace, power, great ball skills and basics, this guy could be the next big thing (or the next Ryan Babel, they're both Dutch. Funny innit?)

So that's all from me, i'll let YOU GUYS take over from here. Hope we can all have fruitful discussions. WITHOUT ANY FLAMING. Cheers!

WAHHHHHH ... "official" ah this thread?

as in sanctioned by fifa / james? :)

hahahaa .... good on you TS . keep the WC fire burning bro .....

For every WC editions, I do not support a particular team. I've always supported the underdogs..and with that being said, I'd like to see USA get a victory over England :p

It's going to be interesting to see North Korea's progress in this WC, remember the 1966 edition, where they defeated Italy to go to the knockout stages?

June better come sooner... =)

For WC2010, I believe will be the year for the African teams to shine. European teams technically don't do so well when the tournament is played outside of Europe. However do expect the usual big boys of the World Cup, Brazil and Germany, to be one of the teams in the semis. Spain looks good on form and paper though I have a sneaky feeling that Argentina will knick it this year, with Maradona to be the second ever person to lift the cup as a captain and coach.

I will still however support the Azurris... Forza Italia!!

Oooooh yes Slovakia: MARTIN SKRTEL!

I just don't see Argentina going through, its not that they don't have the players, i think Maradona's just not the coach that they need. To me, he's another one of those player-turned-coaches who've not done so well.

Italy? Well i don't know. They're waaaaaay too unpredictable.

Haha faizal your mention of North Korea reminded me of a crazy thing my friend did. He put 5 bucks on them going thru to knockout stages, odds 348:1 and another 5 on them winning the WC, odds 500:1. If they somehow managed it, he's one bloody rich guy. Altho i think he's probably wasted 10 bucks lol.

I really think Netherlands might be a force to be reckoned with but the Danes have my backing too .

Germany captain Ballack out of finals

Ballack Out Of World Cup!!!

No!!!! This is a very big loss to the German team!

The Chelsea midfielder underwent an MRI scan in Munich on Monday which revealed ligament damage to his right ankle, ruling him out of action for two months.

Ballack's injury was caused by a reckless tackle from Kevin-Prince Boateng. Boateng is in Ghana's squad for the summer showpiece in South Africa, with Germany drawn in the same group.

Wonders who will lead the German team now..

I always supported Germany but never liked Ballack - he was always more like Bollocks to me - atitude mofo

Sigh, Torsten Frings isn't included in Germany's squad. Damn solid defensive midfielder. I think my vote goes to Arne Fredrich. Most senior player other than Klose and a steady full back. Germany's squad is young. Only 2 above 30...

The French Legion!
France squad is ANCIENT. 6 above thirty and around 5 more nearing that age (28 and up).

And the squad is crap. They left out Hatem Ben Afra, Louis Saha and Karim Benzema. Saha has been in good form of late for Everton and the young upstarts of Benzema and Ben Afra are sure to add depth. However they instead included the unknown Andre-Pierre Gignac (anyone heard of him?) and the fadeaway Sidney Govou.

In midfield, Mathieu Valbuena, Yoann Gourcuff and Jeremy Toulalan were included ahead of Samir Nasri and the extremely experience Patrick Vieira. With the depature of Zinedine Zidane and the current off-pitch problems of Franck Ribery, the inexperience at national level of Abou Diaby, Alou and Lassana Diarra, the French Midfield is going to have problems.

In defence, Sevilla's Julien Escude and Roma's Phillippe Mexes were left out. These two are good defenders, with plenty of first team experience and definitely worthy contenders for a spot in the team. Sevilla has been putting in consistent good performances with fantastic displays from the backline, while Mexes' Roma recently finished second in the Serie A. Included instead were the untested Marc Planus and Anthony Revelliere.

Between the posts, Mickael Landreau, the long-suffering deputy of Gregory Coupet and Fabian Barthez, was left out of the squad in place of Cedric Carrasso, a fresh 23 year old.

It'll be a miracle if France go into the semis.

Andre Pierre-Gignac = the guy who scored the most goals in Ligue 1 last season. He's not well known, but he's a goalscorer, that could prove an advantage in the WC. As for France in general, Raymond Domenech has to go if France want to have any chance of becoming great again.

As for Germany, the midfield burden now falls squarely on the shoulder of Bastian Schweinsteiger. His role is now even more important now that Ballack's gone. Makes it all the more intriguing.

I'm always rooting for the Netherlands since the days of Marc Overmars, Dennis Bergkamp.
Total football. Remember how they demolish Italy and France during Euro 2008. Brilliant football.Total underachiever.Always self-destruct.

Then again, there's Spain who is playing the beautiful football at the moment. It's time for them to prove the world that the Euro 2008 aint fluke.

And never, ever write off the wily Germans. They maybe weak and unskillful on the paper but they always deliver.

So far, nobody is rooting for Brazil or Argentina?

Oh whoa. Didn't know that. But including him over Karim Benzema and Louis Saha? They both are impactful and proven strikers. And Ligue 1, imho, is of lower standard as compared to the La Liga and BPL. Thus it is unfair to judge... Raymond Domenech's selction process has left many scratching their heads.
Schweinsteiger... He has improved greatly since his switch from a winger to a more central position. But i think Germany will still miss the tough tackling of Torsten Frings.
Netherlands! The glory days, i think, were during Cryuff's time - so close to the WC. Underperforming is the best word to describe them.
Italy's age has caught up with them and now, they have a very young team. The likes of Paolo Maldini, Fabo Cannavaro have all gone. Alessandro Del Piero is past his prime while Antonio Cassano, once Italy's secret weapon has, totally faded away.

My heart says France, head says Spain or Argentina.
Spain...
They have possible one of the easiest group stage draws, consisting of Honduras, Chile and Switzerland. While none are pushovers, they are definitely not on par with the likes of Germany, Brazil or even England. This gives Spain a chance to rest their big names in preparation for the knockout stages. In goal, with Iker Casillas, Pepe Reina and Victor Valdes all fighting for the spot, one can be sure it is a secure position. VV, by the way, is third choice. Barca's no. 1 is Spain's third choice. Damn.
In defence, once again, overload of talent. Carlos Marchena, Carles Puyol, Sergio Ramos, Raul Albiol, Alvaro Arbeloa and Gerard Pique contesting for 4 slots. My pick would be Ramos, Marchena, Puyol and Albiol.
In Midfield, even Arsenal captain Francesc Fabregas is not guaranteed a starting place. Need i say more?
I will though. Xavi Hernandez and Andre Iniesta combined superbly for Barca, while Xabi Alonso was the bright spark in what has been a dull season for Real. Add in Sergio Busquests, Cesc, David Silva and Marcos Senna you have a positive dilema.
In attack, Fernando Torres and David Villa. Dream combination. The reliable backup and goalscoring machine Dani Guiza, as well as Alvaro Negrado, gives defenders a good run for their money.

Argentina...
The main problem is in goal. Their keepers have all not gone beyond 5 caps. Sergio Romero looks the likely starter, with the most caps (5) and also some European experience playing with AZ Alkmaar.
Nicolas Burdisso, Gabriel Heinze, Fabrizco Coloccini, Martin Demechelis and Walter Samuel look to form a watertight defence. Probably their last WC together, might as well enjoy.
Veron and Maxi Rodriguez are assured starting places if all goes according to plan. Javier Mascherano was a joy to watch and should also be assured of a starting place. The last starter will be contested between Fiorentina's Mario Bolatti and Benfica's Angel Di Maria. Both had exceptional seasaons with the latter attracting offers from many European clubs.
In attack, Carlos Tevez, Lionel Messi, Diego Militio, Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuan and Martin Palermo are in it for 4 WC places, of which they would probably be 2 or 3 starters. Tough, but i'll say Messi, Aguero, Higuan and Tevez get it. Unless Messi moves to attacking midfield which frees up a slot of Militio.

The overload of talent from both countries are testament to their abilities to produce great club players. Can these same players shine for their countries? We shall see...

Haha well Benzema has completely failed at Madrid, i don't think he's the kind that can play at the absolute highest level. Look at the team. The starting 11'll probably be: Lloris Sagna Gallas Abidal Evra Ribery Toulalan Gourcuff Malouda Henry Anelka. The weak link'll probably be the defence, as Abidal isn't a natural centreback and Sagna has had a very quiet season. The midfield is the key as always, it'll be up to Yoann Gourcuff to step up to the plate and become the orchestrator. Their bench is weak too, so i don't see them going past the QFs dude. I'm sorry.

Back