The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

If I was a betting man, I would be the happiest dude around. Thank you France& Spain for choking. Don't matter if one of 'em goes on to win the cup, the odds would be different. What matter is this moment, when the odds are for the underdogs.

Gracias& Merci...

Well Brazil are through to the knockout stages with a 3-1 win over Ivory Coast, although Kaka was ontroversially sent off late in the game. Who will join them next? My money's on Germany.

i think the 2nd goal by fabiano where he handed the ball before scoring was a bit ... though it was a nice goal, the handling of the ball was just arghhh.
and when the ref asked him, he denied it.
yes, i know everyone in soccer does it. but unpleasant to my eyes. lose some respect for fabiano. =x

i felt that the kaka sending off was kinda stupid on ivory coast for forcing it to happen...
they were already too far behind and too little time left to rekindle anything but that 1 goal from drogba could mean a lot in progressing to the next stage.

Did they not remember that brazil will face portugal next? wont they want brazil to be at their best to beat portugal if they want to stand a chance to go into the round of 16? not too smart on the ivory coast players by forcing that red card and getting very physical into the last 15 mins of the game...

i think the 2nd goal by fabiano where he handed the ball before scoring was a bit ... though it was a nice goal, the handling of the ball was just arghhh.
and when the ref asked him, he denied it.
yes, i know everyone in soccer does it. but unpleasant to my eyes. lose some respect for fabiano. =x

i belive it was handled twice somemore
hehehe
;)

The beauty of the game... part and parcel of the blind ref...

Woohoo All Whites! * kaching kaching *

I think the seeded etams will show their mettle once they get into the kncout stages, that's where big match experience& composure comes in.

Been a good outing for the lesser-credited teams, using their moment under the floodlights well.

As for ballhandling..remember how the Irish were kncoked out during the qualifiers? Sigh.

My money's still on Argetina or Germany for the title.

england has proved to the world once again what an overrated and lousy football team it is

btw, mark paston is a hero.. very commanding and assured performance vs italy..

The weekend produced a slew of bad decisions by ref's..

The Ghana vs Australia match:
When kewel was sent off for a on the line handball.. was that really a handball? if it was than luis fabiano from the brazil vs ivory coast match would have been sent off too.. The ref didn't even bother While kewel was protesting and asking the ref to look at the big screen where a slow mo replay was streaming in the stadium..

kewell-card.jpg

better luck next time socceroos..

Last edited:
This World Cup sucks to be honest. The ball's crap, the refs are crap, quite a few of the teams are crap. Its such a pity. In the first round of matches alone we've seen countless refereeing blunders. I mean, if FIFA's so scared about using video replays to confirm ref calls, why are they so eager to have Adidas produce a new ball that courts controversy every WC? The Jabulani is a crap ball. It bounces at a gentler angle than other balls, hence those great long thru-passes out to the flanks always end up long. It swerves and moves so much players can't connect with it when it's crossed into the box and neither can they read its flight path properly, hence they usually end up mis-controlling it. WHEN IS FIFA GONNA STOP PISSING AROUND AND GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER?

Wah lau eh.....Portugal just hantam North Korea 7-0.

Just hope Kim Jong Il don't execute his players when they get home. That man is a looney. :p

This World Cup sucks to be honest. The ball's crap, the refs are crap, quite a few of the teams are crap. Its such a pity. In the first round of matches alone we've seen countless refereeing blunders. I mean, if FIFA's so scared about using video replays to confirm ref calls, why are they so eager to have Adidas produce a new ball that courts controversy every WC? The Jabulani is a crap ball. It bounces at a gentler angle than other balls, hence those great long thru-passes out to the flanks always end up long. It swerves and moves so much players can't connect with it when it's crossed into the box and neither can they read its flight path properly, hence they usually end up mis-controlling it. WHEN IS FIFA GONNA STOP PISSING AROUND AND GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER?

The ball was designed to fly efficiently, like you would design ANY ball. Adidas warned everybody it would be difficult because its the most aerodynamic ball made yet and in South Africa at higher altitudes theres less air pressure. Hence theres less air for the ball to fly through making it EVEN FASTER

Why can't referee's just have an on-site assistant to check replays? doesn't rugby have that? Or NFL?

In rugby, the TMO - Telly Match Official- is usually consulted when it comes to the legality of a tries - a score -. Thetouch judges or linesmen in soccer terms, would alert the ref on off-the-ball incidents. A ref's decision is usually final, however in extreme situations appeals can be filed but usually not longer than a specified timeframe after the game.

I guess human error is considered as part of the whole game so it adds a little more drama. I can't remember if it's hockey or another sport but you can consult the ref on the spot in questionable situations but you only have a limited number of 'appeal cards'.

Dear Mr Referee, why do you make us see RED in just about every game.

Red Cards Here…Red Cards There….Red Cards Here There And Everywhere…Is This The Colour Theme For This 2010 World Cup?

Aaaaarrrrrg!!!!!!!

I hope Germany gets back soon in shape against Ghana….But it was a red card situation in their 1-0 loss to Serbia…Sob!!!!!

Looks like the formidable teams had been Netherlands, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay & Brazil in the past few games being played.

Back