Sub-forums for...?

theliverevolution

hmm. Just wondering whether this would be a good idea

Was trawling through the Musicians/Bands Available/Wanted section when I sorta felt that it was quite messy. It's like everything's all clumped up around into one big area

I was wondering, that perhaps we could divide it into sub-forums to make things look easier

So, for example, when people clock on Musicians/Bands Wanted, they'll see sub-forums like this:

Bands Wanted
Vocalists wanted
Guitarists Wanted
Keyboardists Wanted
Bassists Wanted
Drummers Wanted
For other musicians with other instruments

It would simplify quite a lot of stuff and prevents an eyesore trawling through layers and layers of backposts to find people

Any comments guys? :D

firstly, it may sound like a good idea.
then, on further consideration,you will realise that the musician market is not as overwhelming as the guitar buy sell to warrant new sub forums.
all this would just lead to a massive waste of bandwidth.

like what you always say,
this thread is pointless, lock thread delete.

Last edited:
Not really. That is the whole idea, to be able to leave it there and simplify a lot of things. Because a few of my friends and I found that to look for someone to complete the band, it takes a bit of backdating and thread-trawling. And once we find someone who seems suitable enough to audition and try it out, it would have been tens of pages later.

I also tend to notice that it tneds to be flooded by guitarists looking for bands and people looking for vocals/bassists/drummers. I'm not blaming them, note. But for my friend and I looking for people became quite a headache a couple of weks back. Hence, suggestion

Perhaps sub-forums could be used for the Musicians' market, but the sub-forums would not be for each instrument otherwise the forum would get messy and bandwidth would be used up. For example, Acoustic guitar and Electric guitar, Bass and Drums, Keyboards and Synthesizers, Others.

Just my opinion.

Unless you have a gazillion new posts each day, too many sub-forums will spread all the posts in the forum "too thin". Yes, having many sub-forums may look well-organised and tidy. But most people tend to look for sub-forums that are content rich, lots of post-count, and busy with people posting regularly (eg. the Kopi Tiam and Guitar Gear section). How many people are eager to click into a sub-forum that has only 9 threads and the last post was made 3 months ago? I think it's a matter of striking a balance - making the forum easier to search, AND not risking the entire forum looking too "empty" or "sparse".

my 2 sens

Last edited:
then what's the search function for?

to quote a certain "wise" guy, "THIS THREAD IS POINTLESS. LOCK THREAD. DELETE!"

and quoting the same "wise" guy again, "Do we need such useless, time-wasting threads about things that are, needless to say, OBVIOUS?!"

Last edited:
then what's the search function for?

to quote a certain "wise" guy, "THIS THREAD IS POINTLESS. LOCK THREAD. DELETE!"

and quoting the same "wise" guy again, "Do we need such useless, time-wasting threads about things that are, needless to say, OBVIOUS?!"

Darn, I nearly forgot about this thread.

It is obvious that we are not on the same frequency, so I shall explain it in detail for you, so at least you understand the whole idea.
The whole idea IS to leave the thread there for people to SEE, for people to pop down and see whether they found the right person. Also, it allows aspiring musicians to be more easily noticed. I admit that perhaps, it may not be necessary to open a thread for EVERY single musician type, due to bandwidth constrains (a hindsight on my part, my apologies). But if we use the search function, there would be two disadvantages to it:

Firstly, the search tool
I typed "Guitarists" under search, and got a whole spew of results. While most of them were looking for guitarists (or advertising themselves), a glaring number of those were also irrelevant.
I typed "Keyboardists", and easily more then half the threads were NOT about keyboardists looking for bands.
The same result was achieved with the keyword "Bassists" and "Drummers"

One would end up trawling through a mass number of pages, looking for a potential bandmate, except this time, through even more rubbish! At least, if you trawled through 10 pages in the Musicians Wanted/Available, you would find at least 3 or 4 people that perhaps, fit your criteria. But the search function? You're trawling through threads that are NOT even relevant as well!

Also, notice one thing. To the left column, is a SEARCH function. At the top of the page, is ALSO another search function. But by typing the same keycode into BOTH functions, you'll get TWO DIFFERENT results.

Also, 2nd disadvantage.
I've noticed that SOFT is flooded with guitarists. At that time when I first suggested this idea, there were a LOT of posts for guitarists.
In fact, everyday, a new thread about an avaliable guitarist would pop up.
Now, this leads to certain threads from being bumped off the first page and into the pages behind.
Unless you're really badly looking for a particular person (or a non-guitarist), no one would want to trawl through 10 to 20 or even the whole forum to look for the person.

It's like searching for a needle in a haystack

The idea of breaking it up into smaller sub-forums would allow a lot more ease in searching for the right person.
So, if I needed to look for a vocalist, I would look for the Vocalist sub-forum, and try searching for the right one. I may not be successful, but it makes it less frustrating.

Also, you also must consider that not ALL SOFTies are come here regularly like some of us.
For me, I come online every night, so looking for one person may not be too difficult.
However, to those who are irregular, looking for the correct person would mean trawling through the forums like crazy, and many would just swear, throw their keyboards up in the air, and resort to finding that person somewhere else.
WHICH would KILL the whole point of SOFT being a musicians hub. If you can't even find the right musician at what we deem as the "biggest musician's hub in Singapore" (other people will disagree with me, but I'm sorry, I've yet to see any other anywhere else), then what's the point of SOFT? We can't even help our own fellow musicians find the right people!

One more thing to add:
If you post an ad, you definitely want to be found. You're looking for a band/musician and you want to find the right one.
If you leave it hanging there, it seems relatively pointless as well. Afterall, it can be there for a month and nothing happens. Fair enough, I have considered this (thanks to guitarsan, you helped me to see that flaw) and still think that its best to leave it there.
There's a higher chance that THAT right band/musician would see your ad and reply to you. It may take a day, a week, a month, etc. But at least, it saves him/her/them the trouble of trawling through countless pages, and saves you the trouble of bumping your post

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

To Eugenesmasher and guitarsan, thank you for your comments. They are relatively constructive and I HAVE to agree that, perhaps, joining certain musician threads would make the forum a lot less sparse. It had not occurred to me

Also, notice one thing. To the left column, is a SEARCH function. At the top of the page, is ALSO another search function. But by typing the same keycode into BOTH functions, you'll get TWO DIFFERENT results.

the left search function is actually a google search through soft. the top search function is soft's internal search function. the difference is that soft's internal search function can only search words that are of at least 4 characters. if you need to search any word less than 4 characters, you need to use the left search function, which is actually google.

oh yeah, i have to agree that they are WAY TOO many guitarists on soft. hard to find bassists, keyboardists, drummers etc. and it depends on the genre you do too. i do wonder is it due to our local music scene being saturated with too many guitarists, or is soft forum not attracting enough of the other musician types?

anyway i think a useful way to utilise the search function will be something like typing "keyboardist pop join band" (keyboardist being the position you require to be filled up, pop being the genre your band plays). just a general suggestion, because normally people who advertise themselves will put up their positions as well as genre.

Last edited:
I tried searching through "Keyboardists join pop band". It gave me links to drum and bass sub-forums, and also links to people looking for keyboardists to complete a pop band.

Also, not all people put specific genres either.
Some may say that they are influenced by certain bands, and these bands cover a whole range of genres.
Some people give a vague description about what they like to play, that doesn't specify certain genres.
Some people are looking for bands that are more specific, not in genre wise, but about people, area, etc. Non-musical related issues
ETC: "Guitarist looking for fun loving band to play with"
That didn't specify a genre
Some people just put one line: "PM/SMS/Email for more details".

I tried searching through "Keyboardists join pop band". It gave me links to drum and bass sub-forums, and also links to people looking for keyboardists to complete a pop band.

oh i get it. actually, there's a way to search only within the musicians available sub-section, without getting irrelevant results from other sub-sections. take a look:

search.jpg

Hm. Interesting. You're using IE 8 ;D

In that case, what you type cannot be too specific, neither too broad.
I typed "Acoustic" as the keyword and it brought me a few weird threads as well. :S
Thinking I wasn't specific enough, I typed "Acoustic Guitarist", and still received a lot of.. bassists and drummers looking for metal bands

The search function is good, thanks for alerting me on that.

Perhaps if you still broke it up into a few smaller sub-forums, combine it with the search function, it would be a lot much easier and faster to find the right band/person. There's a lot less trawling, and lazy people would be able to find the right person after a few clicks of the mouse

Fair deal?

Another way to search effectively is by using the 'site:' within the google search. The internal search function is good but there's a 30 sec limit thingy.

So if you're looking for something in a particular forum you can type something like 'Guitarist site:http://soft.com.sg/forum/musicians-bands-wanted/' in the google search at the left.

I personally frequent the musician market quite alot, and its irritating to see some people just don't bother to do a short write up about themselves or simply anything at all.

They just go " Guitarist available pm me :) thx!@# " :confused:

Back