Singapore Drum Teachers Hit List

In fact I'm supposed to have lessons today. I'm actually quite disappointed with the ruling of "Missed Lesson".

Fair enough, Jenny told me abt giving 2 days notice if I'm unable to attend the lesson so that make up can be done. Well, for me it's impossible due to my work commitments. The only time I can notify her is less than one day.

Looks like I will have to find teacher elsewhere that can cater to my schedule without having to stick like strictly every Thursday kind of thing. If I'm gonna miss at least one Thursday, at least there will be a "make up" lesson other days than consider it "Missed Lesson"

Gee!

In fact I'm supposed to have lessons today. I'm actually quite disappointed with the ruling of "Missed Lesson".

Fair enough, Jenny told me abt giving 2 days notice if I'm unable to attend the lesson so that make up can be done. Well, for me it's impossible due to my work commitments. The only time I can notify her is less than one day.

Looks like I will have to find teacher elsewhere that can cater to my schedule without having to stick like strictly every Thursday kind of thing. If I'm gonna miss at least one Thursday, at least there will be a "make up" lesson other days than consider it "Missed Lesson"

Gee!

I think the ruling is also for them to have enough time to re-plan out their schedules. Personally I think other schools might have similar or even stricter regulations. I am not sure tho. :)

My drum teacher

hey guys you want a really good drum teacher who is all rounded check out Mr Anthony Fong from Yamaha Contempo Music School at Plaza Singapura. he was my drum teacher and he has really helped my achieve the versatility needed in terms of the market for drumming today. He was taught by David Garibaldi and Tony Zee. he has also taught drummers like Vick Veera(tama endorsee) and Md Noor to name a few. Great guy:)

Personally, I think it is important to find a teacher whom you can relate to musically, as well as his/her style of teaching. That way, you can absorb better and feel more motivation as well. Every teacher has something different to offer, so look around :)

Hello there, Drumbassador. Oh my gosh, i can't believe, Mr Anthony Fong was really taught by David Garibaldi? What an honour! Was it a very long period of time?

Well, my personal opinion is to get to learn fm all sorts of teachers to widen the knowledge as every teacher might have different approach in all aspects of drumming. I will be aiming to take lessons fm Alvin fm the Music Lab, Alfe, Sopi, fm a band name "Bushmen" & also Mr Anthony Fong.

Will go with each teacher one step at a time.

Happy Drumming!

Well my Drumming Instructor – from my start of taking Lessons:-

(1) Anthony Fong

I started off at Yamaha (under Mr Anthony Fong) for 3 months only – then left as I had to do my 2 year Part Time Study here…

He taught me – Disclipine – as he is a very strict Instructor and if I do not practice my Homework given to me – he left me alone all by myself in the room for that lesson – never teach me anything new on that day itself and show me he is angry – so I always make sure – I practice what he taugh and do my homework …hahahahhaha.

Yes – Disclipine – was a very very Important Leassons I learn from him

(2) Tony Zee

After I finished my studies, I party a lot and I get to know a Philippino Drummer at a club by the name of Ricky..he is very good looking chap and has a lot of chicks. So I decided to take Drums Lessons back from Anthony, but there was no slot for me- so he recommended me to learn from Mr Tony Zee.

I learn from Tony Zee at Swee Lee, taught me all the pull-up techniques and so on….it was nice but the most valuable lessons I had was – his persistence advice to me – that I have to play with a Band, play with a band….so I did because he was so pushy on me…and I found out that it was good for me…as taking lessons itself is not enough.. I have to go out and play as per his advice to gain real experience playing with a band…

I started to play Blues for 6 months, then later Jazz till now still

(3) Alvin Of Music Lab

I went to Alvin with a Basic aim to learn Jazz Drumming from him….I learned a lot and change my stroke to using rebound here..It was great.

Lessons were very innovative and fun, I learn for the 1st time (using A Metronome) to practice to acquire good timming here. Learn to write notes, Play Songs, Transcribe songs and so on. Alvin too advice me to play more frequently with Bands to improve myself and do not restrict myself to only – one form of Music…Music is Music – and they are all good…the more I learn and listen – the more I could apply

As a matter of fact, even after I had left Music Lab for more than a year, he still gave me the Opportunity to play at Crazy Elephant in one of the School Gig…..He was a Great Teacher and a Great Friend and Buddy indeed.

Actually I learn a lot or I should I say (Most here) from Alvin.

(4) Alfe Kim & Brandon Khoo

I am lucky to have the opportunity to learn Rock Music finally from Chris (my dear Philippino Friend and now a Brother) from the Band TnT..and together we got Member of Mamborat and TnT and with me – to form the Rock Band –“ Elements “ in Oct 2009….It was fun and this was the beginning of my journey into Rock Music.

I found out Rock calls for something very different (as I have to use Double Pedal a lot) and I have to play with a lot of Energy which was totally different in the way I did my Jazz…It is very very Physical here.

My this fresh experience tells me – there is no distinction between Rock and Jazz (in terms of which is easier) casue they are truly both not easy to do (in fact Hard) and they are different in aspect really.

I wanted to really learn more about Rock Drumming from a Rock Drummer who does a lot of Rock – so I am now currently learning from Alfe Kim (A Drummer who plays Rock) and Brandon Khoo

(4A) Alfe Kim

I find Alfe a very Energetic Drummer (seems like this Instructor of mine) no need to sleep one…hahahahha maybe he is young now lah (older than he chai-see lol). I am learning Double Bass Drum Techniques and how most Rock Drummers plays in Rock Style. And - Rock is about a certain kind of Attitude.

(4B) Brandon Khoo

I had only one-lesson with Brandon Khoo so far and it was yesterday (2 hours) – where he taught me the – Moeller Techniques.

Truly, I have to credit him for being able to (for the 1st time) expedite and explain to me so clearly and in details how the Moeller Technique is being expedited, and how I should be practicing it.

As Bandon told me in his own words yesterday – all the above my Instructor taught me was absolutely correct and is good for me (that’s why I had improved so much now) – and he himself was using all the above methods as what I have learned till not too long ago – after he met and learn from Dom Famularo and (I don’t know the guy name something like ehhhh I think is - Maksym Deomin in Canada) …. Where Brandon now uses – Moeller he says

So why did Brandon taught me the Moeller ? - - - ..It was because I actually told Brandon (I feel awkward on my left hand and certain pain I had since I did Rock Music – because – I have to hit very hard & loud and I am really using all my might here) - -so much so that after every 2 hours Rehersals I am really so Exhausted (but this is ok normal ) – but the worst thing is – My Hands hurts (especially my left hand that is on the snare) ….so in order to help me from further injuring myself – he taught me Moeller .. which is not easy for me – as I know I need to change here…and change is tough – as old habits die hard – but I have to….as Rock is Brutal, and since I will continue doing Rock (as I love it so very much) it can be very damaging to myself if I do it wrongly over the long run….so he taught me.

So – which is my Best Instructor – I truly feels – ALL OF THEM are great. It’s True. I learned from all of them, and I learn to be more Versatile and Acceptingly Opened nowadays as I benefited more learning from many Instructors…

It is a non stop Journey here…and I feel Blessed being able to have great Instructors like above – to bring me to where I am today. I’m not saying that I’m Good, I’m still not (because I have myself to blame) as I’m lazy…but without them – I would be nowhere at all.

And I take this very opportunity partly to share with you all – and to Thank each and every of them here…..These are my Teachers (and forever my Teachers) and Great Teachers they are that I would highly Recommend too (from my personal experience here).

Gordon Jansen!!!! Most inspiring teacher ever...too bad he migrated to Australia.

Anwar (plays in LongBar, Raffles Hotel) is a real good teacher for polyrhythmic stuff and his time is insane....

Check out Rizal Sanip too....plays in El Toro (Above Dubliner) on Friday nights. He has got that amazing soft touch that allows him to excel in the most delicate musical situation and he is one of the best sight-readers I know.

Most of all, these guys have vast real-life performance experiences which is most precious in music education. In my opinion, always look for teachers not only with good playing skills, but with solid work experiences and great teaching skills (ask for opinions from ex-students etc) to back it up....

All the best!!!

Gordon Jansen!!!! Most inspiring teacher ever...too bad he migrated to Australia.

Anwar (plays in LongBar, Raffles Hotel) is a real good teacher for polyrhythmic stuff and his time is insane....

Check out Rizal Sanip too....plays in El Toro (Above Dubliner) on Friday nights. He has got that amazing soft touch that allows him to excel in the most delicate musical situation and he is one of the best sight-readers I know.

Most of all, these guys have vast real-life performance experiences which is most precious in music education. In my opinion, always look for teachers not only with good playing skills, but with solid work experiences and great teaching skills (ask for opinions from ex-students etc) to back it up....

All the best!!!

Anwar - my senior during the NSF RSAF Band days.
Gordon - jammed with Heritage more than a few times, inspiring.
Jerry ( Myx Studios ) - would watch him play with Broadsword, motivational.
Lewis Pragasam - jammed with the Asiabeat a couple of times, magic.
Charmaine Harn's bro ( dammit forgot his name,Cli..something ) - my junior RSAF Band, sensational.

Anwar - my senior during the NSF RSAF Band days.
Gordon - jammed with Heritage more than a few times, inspiring.
Jerry ( Myx Studios ) - would watch him play with Broadsword, motivational.
Lewis Pragasam - jammed with the Asiabeat a couple of times, magic.
Charmaine Harn's bro ( dammit forgot his name,Cli..something ) - my junior RSAF Band, sensational.

that's Clinton Harn, living in Australia now. Yup, Lewis is great! I remember I was practicing alone in the old guitar workshop one day and he just stomped into the studio and said,"boy, let me show you some stuff"...and he continued to rip the kit and my heart into shreds!!! Amazing amazing!!!!

A couple of local boys that left a mark on me, playing with them, are Ray Aziz& Gary ( formerly from Eza's band ). Seek them out, you'll pick up more than just quite a bit.

I first noticed him when he was just a teen, back at Roomful Of Blues - Macpherson Road. I was thinking, darn this boy can hit them skins. His name's Brandon Khoo.

Thanks Alvin, that's right Clinton, I was thinking Clifton for some reason.

As for Lewis - darn, I first met him at Guitar Workshop as well, while Francis was working on some guitar outside.

Suddenly I have flashbacks of Corelli jamming studio :-D

I miss the vodka/milk drinking cat during those crazy Crazy Elephants days as well.

anybody knows the contact of this malay drummer who used to teach at woodworkz studio? he specializes in playing metal. i recall seeing a thread with his contacts about half a year ago to a year ago but i just can't seem it now.

if anyone knows who i'm referring to and has the thread/his contacts, i'll be eternally grateful :D

Last edited:
Currently I am learning "Rock Drumming" fm Alfe Kim. Had just started 3 sessions with him while also learning fm another school which is what I stated in the earlier post.

I had lesson with him back then once & it was like 10 yrs ago? Can't really remember. Knew him thru a friend who recommended drum lessons. He did teach me some really "Rock" stuff that I do not know of & it's really fun. Another good teacher focusing on the needs of his students. Thumbs Up!

Mark Chan - Learnt the importance of keeping time from him. Was wondering why he made me play simple 8th notes beat back then but realized that actually sums up everything in drumming - If I can't keep time for 8th notes, it's gonna be worse for 16th notes.

Alfe Kim - Alfe offers different approaches to teach to different students. He helps in maximizing potential. His views of drums is unique and interesting.

Alvin Tan - Alvin is very patient in my opinion and very willing to share. I like how his syllabus progresses. It really helps in learning.

Jerry Chua - Awesome chops. Lessons with him open up to more creativity.

Learning from a different teacher can opens up to a whole new perspective of the way one would perceive drums as. What I've mentioned about the drum teachers that I've learnt from are not limited to just that. But those were the most significant factors that makes me remember them. I believe different students remember their teachers in different ways.

anybody knows the contact of this malay drummer who used to teach at woodworkz studio? he specializes in playing metal. i recall seeing a thread with his contacts about half a year ago to a year ago but i just can't seem it now.

if anyone knows who i'm referring to and has the thread/his contacts, i'll be eternally grateful :D

Is it Dol Molok?

Back