Randolf Arriola (embryo) Guitar Gear 101

Stomp Pedals - Stock, Mod, Boutique... and the truths about tone from the bottom of the Barrel

16740_220853123342_708453342_4297288_3082566_n.jpg

Chris Rainier: ill have two please... in stereo

Last edited:
The Ultimate Must Have Stomps for this X'mas!

11844_202556576428_622191428_3319703_6685396_n.jpg

Michael Troutman: Not to be confused with the TE-2 Talent Emulator, of course...

Simeon Harris: i really wish Roland would do a rack version. it would be great to be able to call up various talent boosting presets via midi. it would look great next to my TC Humility Canceler

11844_202555666428_622191428_3319702_808881_n.jpg

Rick Walker: "Inspired by a friend's recent purchase of a BOSS TS-2 Talent Simulator stomp box pedal, I've decided to start saving money to add it to my current Guitar Rig. I have a BOSS S-1 Suck pedal and a rack mounted ANTARES Auto-Tune. I'm reasonably confident that if I remember to disengage the Suck pedal and keep the Auto Tune tightly constrained to Diatonic scales that I should reasonably expect to write a hit Mainstream Hip Hop or Pop Country hit within weeks. Wish me luck!"

Skipper: Nope, I don't think so. Will cause too much noise.

Randolf: I heard that Suck pedal circuit is already integrated into some mixing consoles used by gig sound engineers. Not too sure. The TE-2? That's discontinued, no?

i'm pretty sure john petrucci has a rack mounted suck pedal in his rig to prevent him from blowin' people's minds off when he plays. :twisted:

Wendy Phua Quartet Live at Esplanade Waterfront 22nd Jan 2010. 7.30pm

Randolf says:
Something to warm things up for the new year with a lil sonic stirring of originals with Wendy Phua who's a sub unit of The Embryo. For the sonic tweakers and gearheads among you I'll be using my Klein electric guitar equipped with the Roland GK3 midi pickup in the Roland VG99 V Guitar system into the Looperlative LP1.

Wendy says; "Hello Everyone!

This Fri at Esplanade On the Waterfront 7.30-9.30pm, I'll be playing songs from my EP and new songs ranging from progressive fusion to funk and world music.

It's the first time I'll be playing my solo bass songs in a band setting. Supporting me are some very fine musicians midi-guitarist/looper Randolf Arriola (Embryo http://www.myspace.com/theembryo), Audrey Tang on Western Percussions (Walking On Water www.myspace.com/walkingonw) and Jamal Khairi on Turkish Percussions.

We're going to explore some really interesting middle eastern and western rhythms along with bass tapping, and of course some far out looping with Randolf. You definitely won't want to miss out on this!

Shern Wong www.myspace.com/shernwong will be taking over the last set at 10pm-10.45pm.

THE EVENT IS FREE ADMISSION

For more info, go to
http://www.esplanade.com/whats_on/pr...rock/index.jsp

Do drop by to RSVP at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=262898886197

You can check out videos too at http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...snum=0&spell=1

Cheers,

Wendy Phua"

Cya!

Last edited:
Polyrhythm Loops

Hi Randolf,

I'd like to ask you something pertaining to your particular area of expertise - looping. I've recently acquired a Boss RC-2 Loop Station as the first step in my foray into looping. I'm still largely unfamiliar with its features, but it's becoming apparent to me that it doesn't permit polyrhythm looping; whenever I record, say, a 4/4 loop and want a 3/4 overdub to play repeatedly over it (such that it starts at a different point of the 4/4 loop every time), it instead treats the 3/4 overdub as a 4/4 loop, with the last beat being a rest. I am immensely disappointed with the RC-2's inability to allow polyrhythms, in the same vein as Robert Fripp (and King Crimson's Discipline in particular), which are a main reason I'm trying to get into looping in the first place.

In your experience, then, are there loop pedals that allow polyrhythmic looping? One that a beginner looper such as myself wouldn't have too hard a time learning to use? The Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai, for instance? That has a looper, but I'm unsure if it permits polyrhythms.

Thanks for your time!

Hi Cpt!

Lovely to know ur interests in this!

Firstly I hope that we're clear in understanding there's differences between loops, looping and live looping. I believe what we're gonna be discussing here is what's called Live Looping which is the art of live creating and capturing of audio segments(loops) and improvising and composing over or onto and then to deconstructing it all and rebuilding into something else or whatever...as you feel really! live! Hah! Creative fun really. If you'r interested I do this all the time with my originals and personalized renditions of covers at my weekly gig at Harry's Dempsey Hill.

The Boss RC2 is fine for capturing a single live loop now and then especially in ensemble setups but not something that is friendly for my solo live looping works. The main reason for this is mostly to do with the inherent single pedal design which unfortunately dictates a pretty tedious and cumbersome method for manupulating the footswitch to execute various necessary functions. Except for extended pedal controls and recording time the Boss RC20 and Digitech Jam Man are not much different from the RC2.

The Boss RC50 is at moment still the best cost effective live looping device which allows creative live looping and explorations into polyrhythmic like Steve Reich's "Drumming". For serious live loopers among my students undergoing bootcamp I always recommend the Line6 DL4 which imho is still the best to get into, build and sharpen your live looping techniques.

K, I gotta run for the soundcheck at waterfront esplanade where I'll be playing later this evening with Wendy's quartet. I'll be debuting my Looperlative LP1 there this evening. Cya!

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your advice, Randolf. I'll definitely look into the RC-50 & DL4 then. You mentioned that the RC-50 could do polyrhythmic loops, but can the DL4?
Also,
I hear you make occasional trips to the US for (live?) looping festivals. When's the next time you'll be coming stateside?

Polyrhythmic Live Looping ideas, methods and tools...

The Boss RC50 has the ability to have seperate loop phrases on 3 seperate channels that with experimentation with the parameters can be assigned to play in unison in synch or out of synch in accordance to what u intend really. However, if you intend to create a consistent polyrhythmic loop of eg.5 beats against 4 it would still require that you spend some time refining ur skills and feel for time by at first trying to consistently execute a live phrase in 5 beats against the looped 4 best phrase. This u can easily practice on with the simplest "Single Channel" Looper pedals like the Boss RC2 and Line6 DL4. Only thereafter would I suggest u move on to the RC50 when you've spent enought time exploring all creative live looping options with a single channel live looping pedal. Starting with multi channel would simply be too overwhelming for starters. Fripp and Eno made their early 70's live looping ambient records with 5 secs of loop time from their Revox reel to reel tape recorders. A great track to listen to for musical and groovy polyrhythmic music is "Frame by Frame" by King Crimson from the 1981 Discipline album. Check out how the musical motif keeps rotating over the time measures.

I'm looking forward to playing overseas shoiws this year as of moment I'm already scheduled to play at this year's Y2KX International Live Looping Festival at Oakland San Francisco and Santa Cruz California later this year and am looking forward to confirmation for European dates...will update along the way ya.

Last edited:
Where to place the MXR Microamp?

1153456694_MXR_MICRO_AMP_M133_463x342.jpg

Enquiry Quote: " I was wondering if you could spare some advice over some pedal configuration issue I have.If you don't mind, well I run my pedals in this way:
Guitar: Basswood Yamaha with Duncan Distortion
conventional tuner --> Boss OS-2 --> some delay pedal from Belcat --> Boss EQ --> newly-installed MXR Microamp --> Electroharmonix Worm.

I've put the EHX at the end because it has the wah and phaser has some properties that reduces the volume of my entire setup when used, which I tot is good for short transitions, like those kind of lo-fi sounds. For most part of songs tho I don't usually use it.

The thing is, with the microamp put this way, it doesn't seem to up my guitar volume/gain much, as opposed to what the youtube vids seem to show. Sure there's more clarity but it doesn't really make me any louder for those parts which I need to be. Could I have put it someplace better in the chain? Thanks!
"

Reply:
The Microamp is designed as a somewhat clean boost pedal but isn't totally clean which is good in certain cases especially when used to kick up the signal level from the guitar/pedal chain into the inputs of a full tube amp. This method of gain boost will derive more drive from the tubes which has that classic amp drive tone we've mostly grown up with and love.

Regarding ur question... try placing the microamp last as in after the MXR Worm because the MXR amp's boost could be compressing the worm's inputs. I guess wat ur looking for is a "Clean Boost" pedal to act like a solo volume boost...perhaps? I won't quote ur name but I'll take the contents of ur enquiry and my response to post on myt thread to share with others facing similar issues ya. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes along the way. Cheers.

Last edited:
MIDI Foot Controllers... coming back full circle

Having used an array of rack gear and midi footcontrollers for the club based live showband setups during throughout the 90's I find myself somewhat coming full circle these days as I'm in the midst of finalizing my updated live looping rig for Y2KX and the setup requires the use of midi footcontrollers for my intended control freak fetish purposes...lol!
My midi controllers of use then was the ART X-15 and another from ADA.
I'm actually quite surprised and perhaps dismayed to find that manufacturers have interestingly not made much improvements to midi foot controller design. There seems to be more option for table top Ableton friendly midi controllers but when it comes to midi controllers on the floor for us guitar players...

My currently set up includes the use of both the Roland VG99 with the FC300 midi controller with the Looperlative Lp1 with the FCB1010 midi foot controller with Uno firmaware. Yup I have to use 2 controllers arranged in a "V" for the moment and tho this allows me to execute what I need from the VG99 and LP1 I'm really hoping for a single foot controller that allows me to customize the necessary midi commands to do just that.... simple right? Not so in the real world so it seems. The Roland Fc300 is a fantastic controller in my ways. It's easy to use and has very flexible midi parameters to configure for customized use. The 2 expression pedals feel and work great and smooth but i just can't stand theFC300 because it's only got an array of 5 patch buttons where every bank has 10 patches....yup i have to scroll up down 2 pages for every bank to access the 10 patches. THe Behringer FCb1010 is probably the most bang for buck midi controller available...that is if u can find them these days. It has 10 patch buttons...Yay! and 2 expression pedals that unfortunately have a mind of their own. To access the vast time bending controls of my Looperlative the fcb1010 gets the job done BUT..... it's too wide!!! I've looked around and noticed that foot controllers like the Groundcontrol from Voodoolabs and the All Access from Rocktron seem to have a very good array of button layout BUT....they all don't have the necessary Expression pedals!!! Sigh! The most fascinating modern expression pedal design I've come across of late is from MOog which is called MP201. It's 4 controllers in 1 Yay! This would easily intergrate with my Roland Fc300 but it only has 5 patch buttons! Looking at the FCb1010
...I have a gut instinct that I'll have to mod this beast to my purposes. Hehehe.

The fanciest midi foot controllers commercially available these days imho is from this german company Gordius. It's small, very flexible, a big n pretty display screen... no expression pedals (oh no not again!) and it's expensive. German la! I'm investigating the potentials of the Little Giant model whic I'm imagining would make a great combo with the Moog Mp201. Hmmm...

More later!

gordius-little-giant_lg1.JPG

Gordius Little Giant
Comment: I like the layout of the buttons on this model and how it's not too wide and the big display panel is definitely thumbs up. Not too sure if it needs to be as thick as it appears unless motors under the hood which I doubt.

gordius-little-giant_lgx1.JPG

Gordius Big Little Giant
Comment: Nice! There's never too much control options for me but I think this model will be too wide especially when it doesn't have an attached pair of expression pedals.

http://www.gordius.be/index.php

546962.jpg

Moog MP201
Comment: This looks great and the specs look great. The whole idea rocks! Why have 2 expression pedals when u can access any or all of 4 different expression control commands with a single pedal! Brilliant! I look forward to these guys at Moog coming up with some nifty ideas for more midi controller designs.

Last edited:
My choice of performance gear...so far so good for Y2KX

In my most recent outdoor show I was playing with Wendy Phua's Quartet at the Esplanade Waterfront Stage. Having reworked the arrangement of the original tunes for Bass, 2 Percussionists and Textural Guitars I needed a setup that could give all the tonal range I needed to recreate sonic paintings with the guitar and settled on the successful use of combining my Trans Trem equipped Klein Electric which also has a Roland GK3 pickup which combines with my passive Seymour Duncan 59's into the Roland VG99 controlled by the Roland FC300 froot controller. The stereo signals from the VG99 are fed into the Looperlative LP1 which is foot controlled via midi with a "Unofied" FCB1010. The oitputs from the LP1 are fed into the Keyboard amp with all flat eq for monitoring. All's well so far so good.

17246_1124973983435_1799701615_254308_7730359_n.jpg

Me with Missy Klein (my current favourite sonic paintbrush)

17246_1124973543424_1799701615_254299_5682812_n.jpg

Digging into the zone with my Klein, the Roland VG99 and the Looperlative LP1.

17246_1124972943409_1799701615_254286_3656291_n.jpg

The look of one happy tone control freak!

17246_1124969983335_1799701615_254226_6336747_n.jpg

Job done. Can't wait for the next set.

All photos by Anton Chia

Last edited:
Live Looping Gear Enquiry

Got this enquiry sent to my facebook not sure from who and how I was supposed to reply but here goes;

"Hey Randolf, i read a thread written by you in some forum i cant remember. Anyways, i'm into live looping recently and i was wondering if you have any infomation on where i can get get the gibson echoplex in singapore. Do you happen to know who the distributor is? Another brand will be the boomerang phase sampler. Any clues?"

Reply: The Echoplex Digital Pro which was under the Gibson umbrella has been out of production for several years now so it's no longer supported by Gibson afaik. You can only find if in working condition on ebay but your on your own because there's no longer official tech support. As for the Boomerang I'd suggest you contact them directly from the website.

echoplex_1.jpg

Echoplex Digital Pro

wl%20front.jpg

Boomerang Phrase Sampler

16145_185097626603_551811603_3507877_4315355_n.jpg

Looperlative LP1

btw if the original enquirer sees this do email me direct at randolf@embryosongs.com

Last edited:
Xan's Custom JP All Leather Black Strap

Thanks for the various enquiries and support along the way. Here's a new creation from our very own Xan Straps. This one's a recreation/variation of Jimmy Page's unique one of a kind black strap as was used with his fav no.1 '58 Les Paul Standard in the recent music documentary "It Might Get Loud" It's also what JP used in the mid 90's Jimmy Page & Robert Plant - No Quarter live dvd.

* The Les Paul Standard used in the following pics is a '58 Gibson Les Paul Standard

23569_352847171603_551811603_4211922_4282247_n.jpg

23569_352847201603_551811603_4211923_3554089_n.jpg

23569_352847161603_551811603_4211921_7901027_n.jpg

Back