over rated and under rated guitar brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmm, you're taking overrated to be overpriced for its build quality?
what about the aesthetic beauty?

so if i have a jem which costs 3k and another jem with a limited design which cost 5k. then the 5k jem is overrated?
besides, there's a very obvious reason why people always ask you to test first before buying. after all what i hear is not what you hear, so if you really like it. by all means if you think the sound and aesthetic justifies the price, then i wouldn't say its overrated.

a popular guitar may not always be overrated.

i think some users, such as jskadiang, are getting abit irritated because there are people like me who think that their favourite brands or whatsoever are over rated. opinions are opinions and what i said are just my opinions but it's unfair for jskadiang to say that i'm shoving my opinions down people's throats. why not you guys chip in with opinions about the brands as well, giving your ideas about what's over rated and what's under rated, so that the readers of this thread can make more informed decisions over their choice of gear? the purpose of this thread is to get users to chip in, not for 1 sided opinions.

seriously just read some of you guys' replies. very obviously apparent that you all don't rate mim highly (under rated) and rate mij/cij too highly (over rated) :D

hmmmm, you're taking overrated to be overpriced for its build quality?
what about the aesthetic beauty?

so if i have a jem which costs 3k and another jem with a limited design which cost 5k. then the 5k jem is overrated?
besides, there's a very obvious reason why people always ask you to test first before buying. after all what i hear is not what you hear, so if you really like it. by all means if you think the sound and aesthetic justifies the price, then i wouldn't say its overrated.

a popular guitar may not always be overrated.

nono, i'm not using price alone to determine over rated. for example, i mentioned ESP is neither over rated nor under rated. cos i think that the quality of ESP guitars receives the appropriate credit that people give them. but i think ESP is overpriced

nono, i'm not using price alone to determine over rated. for example, i mentioned ESP is neither over rated nor under rated. cos i think that the quality of ESP guitars receives the appropriate credit that people give them. but i think ESP is overpriced

as cliche as it might sounds, the appropriate credit each guitar/brand deserves is determined by the person who played it right?
so if i played and esp, if might sound like shit to me but great to someone else. similar for everyone other guitar out there. so i don't think a brand would actually get too much credit for it since people have substantiated that the guitar deserves such credit.
thus i think what u meant was a guitar is only 'over rated' cos its popular.

if u see brands like ibanez it has manyyyy endorsements for people are more exposed to such guitars and actually try it. similar for gibson and may of the 'over rated' bands you've mentioned.
maybe ESP and other brands might not really get enough credit cos they're not exposed enough? non-metal heads wouldn't really know much about ESP guitars would they...
probably, if ESP or other brands that you've mentioned is under-rated. its probably not the consumers fault, its more probable that the companies itself aren't doing enough to promote their brands?

Overrated guitars are good for newbies starting on buying a guitar. Their choices revolve around a limited choices like Ibanez, Fender, Gibson. It is only until playing for a few years before knowing what they prefer in a guitar so in the mean time, just grab something reliable to play with over that span of time.

Wow... i've gone from overrated to underrated to obscure to underrated and right back to SUPER overrated!

Aiyah... Just play the damn thing lah!!!!

talk about wood types and stuff. I think its about personal preference and tone is very subjective.
A fair comment is when one has owned them all and not just because one walks into a shop to test run a guitar for 30 mins. you need to at least own it, set it up and play it over a good duration to know it for good and what it is really worth.

Brand wise... over or under..
Don't forget about "RESALE VALUE"

anyone seen dahlif shred on a craftsman strat through a small line 6 practice amp?
hehehe

It's the player lah..
It really is!
:)

Personally I don't think there's any guitar out there that's really over rated or under rated be it price, tone or playability wise. Who's to say that a guitar by any manufacturer is over priced or over rated? At the end of the day, what you're really paying for is workmanship and branding. No?

So it's really all down to the player to choose whichever guitar he feels is over rated or not. It's almost like a debate on which guitar shape is the most over rated shape..... it's an impossible debate as it will always be a personal preference. Just play the guitar...... if you like it, you like it.

yes, everybody has their personal preferences and opinions when it comes to guitars, so when i say a certain brand is over rated, i mean that it receives way too much credit from way too many people. read what i said earlier about ibanez.

artiste endorsements.. interesting topic. alot of people like to buy guitars that are endorsed by their favourite artistes. some don't though. the thing is, if you are a famous guitarist, would you accept an endorsement from ibanez (even though you prefer other brands) if they approached you to endorse their gear and your favourite brands don't care about you? you'll get paid to play free guitars! who wouldn't? so artiste endorsements only reflect the marketing effort/expenditure that manufacturers put into their branding, not the quality/effort put into manufacturing. and the models for the artistes are probably hand picked for quality or even custom shop manufactured.

so bottomline: artiste endorsements speak nothing of the general quality of their guitars. artiste endorsement is simply a marketing tactic. why else would manufacturers do that? think about it.

to further support my point, consider this: Heritage has no or hardly any artiste endorsements. yet, they produce much better Les Pauls than Gibson. they are more Gibson than Gibson!

question: when you buy a guitar, would you rather spend your money on its marketing or manufacturing?

Last edited:
yes, everybody has their personal preferences and opinions when it comes to guitars, so when i say a certain brand is over rated, i mean that it receives way too much credit from way too many people. read what i said earlier about ibanez.

artiste endorsements.. interesting topic. alot of people like to buy guitars that are endorsed by their favourite artistes. some don't though. the thing is, if you are a famous guitarist, would you accept an endorsement from ibanez (even though you prefer other brands) if they approached you to endorse their gear and your favourite brands don't care about you? you'll get paid to play free guitars! who wouldn't? so artiste endorsements only reflect the marketing effort/expenditure that manufacturers put into their branding, not the quality/effort put into manufacturing. and the models for the artistes are probably hand picked for quality or even custom shop manufactured.

so bottomline: artiste endorsements speak nothing of the general quality of their guitars. artiste endorsement is simply a marketing tactic. why else would manufacturers do that? think about it.

to further support my point, consider this: Heritage has no or hardly any artiste endorsements. yet, they produce much better Les Pauls than Gibson. they are more Gibson than Gibson!

question: would you rather pay more money for a guitar that goes into its marketing, or goes into its manufacturing?

The heritage part is purely your opinion so how is that supportive of your point in a sense that your support doesnt hold weight?

Its not a Known fact to everybody that Heritages are better than Gibsons and it has not been proven generally speaking. Everything is subjective. Hence with all due respect i really do not see a point in this thread. Arguing over underated and overrated guitars is like arguing about underated genres and overated genres of music. Theres no end to it.

Moreover does Gibson only entail lespauls? It may be iconic of them but i doubt lespauls purely represent Gibson so how can you say Heritage is more Gibson than Gibson?

Also.. what on earth is Gibson? Its Mr orville gibson's name? ok, but what defines a Gibson so what exactly is being more Gibson than gibson??

With regards to your question i know what you're trying to get across but perhaps you would like to rephrase it. Theres a big hole in it.

Last edited:
The heritage part is purely your opinion so how is that supportive of your point in a sense that your support doesnt hold weight?

Its not a Known fact to everybody that Heritages are better than Gibsons and it has not been proven generally speaking.

With regards to your question i know what you're trying to get across but perhaps you would like to rephrase it. Theres a big hole in it.

if you die die don't want to concede that Heritage > Gibson, then i have nothing further to say to you.

Moreover does Gibson only entail lespauls? It may be iconic of them but i doubt lespauls purely represent Gibson so how can you say Heritage is more Gibson than Gibson?

Also.. what on earth is Gibson? Its Mr orville gibson's name? ok, but what defines a Gibson so what exactly is being more Gibson than gibson??

Les Pauls are the flagship of Gibson, period. if you say les pauls don't represent Gibson then i have nothing further to say to you.

your 2nd paragraph just reflects your lack of knowledge of Heritage.

Your opinion != fact
your_opinion.jpg

So, you think that way, woo fickin hoo.

That%27s_nice.jpg

But, honestly?

Newsfromdomo.jpg

NOONECARES.jpg

Last edited:
so i have to agree with you to reply on this thread? lol?

why do you ignore funktastic's point about everything being subjective?

i didn't ignore funktastic's post. my post about artiste endorsements is my reply to him.

anyway i think you are getting too worked up over this. your brand being listed as over rated? sorry but i'm not the only one who thinks this way, as every brand will have people thinking that its over rated. deal with it.

dodgethis, if you have nothing constructive to say, just shut your hole. this is soft not some other forums where people like to put up useless pics that add no value to discussions.

Les Pauls are the flagship of Gibson, period. if you say les pauls don't represent Gibson then i have nothing further to say to you.

your 2nd paragraph just reflects your lack of knowledge of Heritage.

playing intellectual games here? dont ignore my questions. Im not arguing about heritages being better than gibsons or not. my point is this is entirely subjective hence making this discussion utterly useless. Just like tone is subjective, so are guitars.

You dont get the idea do you? Just wanna insist your self entailed facts are 100% right and people must agree with you to reply on your thread eh?

I foremost never claimed my knowledge of Heritage is awesome. so dont bring that topic in.

My bottom line is everything is subjective so this thread is pointless.

i didn't ignore funktastic's post. my post about artiste endorsements is my reply to him.

anyway i think you are getting too worked up over this. your brand being listed as over rated? sorry but i'm not the only one who thinks this way, as every brand will have people thinking that its over rated. deal with it.

worked up? look at the post above my last one asking dodgethis to shut his trap lol. ironic aint it.

Im not a diehard gibson fan. Im just trying to provide an objective view. Deal with it.

I think heritages are overrated. please scold me.

To your reply for dodgethis i think your discussions hold no value. To save myself this will be my last reply on this thread

once again everything is subjective. Im trying to make you understand that and hence realise the pointlessness of this thread.

But you keep attacking my example of an objective view by claiming ur heritages are better than this and that etc.

Dont get me wrong. heritages are undoubtedly solid guitars. Im just using an example to question your example's reliability. End of story.

Last edited:

the thing is, if you are a famous guitarist, would you accept an endorsement from ibanez (even though you prefer other brands) if they approached you to endorse their gear and your favourite brands don't care about you?

you'll get paid to play free guitars! who wouldn't? so artiste endorsements only reflect the marketing effort/expenditure that manufacturers put into their branding, not the quality/effort put into manufacturing. and the models for the artistes are probably hand picked for quality or even custom shop manufactured.

i never talked about QC, i just mentioned then a brand might seem over-rated cos its more well known.
if you can't understand, let me explain with numerals.

take for instance, 1000 people know about GIBSON and 500 say that its good while the other 500 remain neutral. (50%)
whilst for ESP, probably 500 people know about it since its not as exposed as gibson. and out of this 500, 400 say ESP is good. (80%)

so back to my point, i'm just saying that you saying a brand is over-rated is not really established. its just more people know about the brand, so more people are talking about it.

and if guitars are so poorly made, why would some artiste even bother to endorse it lest like it? if its poorly made, it's gonna affect their sound which most probably lead them to not even bothering about endorsing the brand.

errrr guys. relaxxxxxxxxx. its a thread meant for discussion. though some brands i like might seem over rated. i don't give a damn cos its not to ME ME ME ME ME.

Last edited:
playing intellectual games here? dont ignore my questions. Im not arguing about heritages being better than gibsons or not. my point is this is entirely subjective hence making this discussion utterly useless. Just like tone is subjective, so are guitars.

You dont get the idea do you? Just wanna insist your self entailed facts are 100% right and people must agree with you to reply on your thread eh?

I foremost never claimed my knowledge of Heritage is awesome. so dont bring that topic in.

My bottom line is everything is subjective so this thread is pointless.

read my post about artiste endorsements, i already acknowledged there that opinions are opinions. don't go round n round with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back