over rated and under rated guitar brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ funktastic, i believe i already made clear the purpose of this thread in a prior post here. 10 pages so far, lazy to backtrack to find for you, but the gist is that its for people to chip in their opinions on what's under rated n over rated so that readers can make better informed buying decisions, because u'll have many different people chipping in, and the thing i don't want is just me offering my 1 sided opinion on what's over or under rated.

is discussion of this nature unhealthy? i mean, if everybody just replies properly to this thread, it can turn out to be very informative.

i'm cheesed off by the likes of hifi_killer and penta-tonic because firstly, they didn't actually join in the discussion in this thread with their posts, but their posts were more of a personal nature and dished down condescendingly from a high horse. 2ndly, they dished the insults first. i believe my replies to their posts are appropriate, nothing more, nothing less.

and i hope to be optimistic like you but judging from some of the replies here, i'm not sure what you said will come true (jackasses not hurling insults), because these people just simply refuse to participate in a proper discussion properly.

you see ah.
what you're saying might seem controversial to some people, cos they REALLY believe that their brand they have is really good.
and when you come and call it over-rated, it kinda challenges their beliefs and of course they're gonna react what.

its like this eg, if i tell you ur mom is sleeping with someone of course you're gonna say impossible at first what. but if i mange to really convince you then you might believe it. (sorry it may sound crude, its just an example.)

thus similar to the forum, you're sure gonna find negative feedback cos people don't want to change their beliefs... but if you manage successfully to bring across a strong valid argument, you might change em. which for the better or worse, i'm in no position to decide.

knowledge is attained through reasoning and logic...

^ funktastic, that's why i said, people have to be clear that being over rated does NOT mean it's bad, and all brands mentioned (with the exception of TGM) are capable of producing at least decent guitars.

but you didnt clearly state why you said a brand was overrated.
its kinda irritating is someone goes up to you and say taht you suck, you cant do this or cant do that without explaining right...

^ funktastic, did you read my post about ibanez, which i think is the most over rated of the bunch?

okay, so you want me to elaborate more about why other brands are considered over rated? do you believe that if i do so, more flamers will surface?

in general, i find mij/cij fender strats to be overrated if you compare them to the mim fender strats, which are underrated. i said in general because most of the mij/cij strats use basswood, while most mim strats now use alder. why is this an issue? the basswood strats don't even sound like strats, unlike the ash or alder strats..

and in terms of worksmanship, mim strats compare favourably vs the mij/cij strats.

yet i see people shunning mim strats and embracing mij/cij strats. therefore mij/cij strats are overrated, and mim strats underrated.

take instance for this, sounding or not sounding like a strat is personal what. then worksmanship, from what i hear mij is better. WHAT I HEAR, i haven't actually inspected a mij/mim strat. not very into strats. but its like your conclusion of why its overrated or underrated seems very shallow...
don't really know if you understand what i'm saying.

people embrace mij strats cos they prefer it over mim strats. maybe the find it better? maybe they just like the way it feels when they hold them? but for you being an entirely different person, may feel differently so its kinda shallow to just base on that to conclude if its overrated or not. if more people choose mij strats, it because they like it more right?

anyways, its something you gotta understand. its not always too good to say something is underrated or overrated and make it sound like a fact
like overrated: X Y Z A B C
underrated: 1 2 3 4
if you really thing its overrated at least ask if other people think that way or what are their views about it.

and when u said add on and discuss, some people felt different about your opinions about what was overrated/underrated. and tried to bring the point across and justify it. but you actually took them as if they were trying to flame you and what they were saying as the "absolute truth". they're just expressing their opinion and justifying why... at least that was how i felt about superpotato.

take instance for this, sounding or not sounding like a strat is personal what. then worksmanship, from what i hear mij is better. WHAT I HEAR, i haven't actually inspected a mij/mim strat. not very into strats. but its like your conclusion of why its overrated or underrated seems very shallow...
don't really know if you understand what i'm saying.

people embrace mij strats cos they prefer it over mim strats. maybe the find it better? maybe they just like the way it feels when they hold them? but for you being an entirely different person, may feel differently so its kinda shallow to just base on that to conclude if its overrated or not. if more people choose mij strats, it because they like it more right?

anyways, its something you gotta understand. its not always too good to say something is underrated or overrated and make it sound like a fact
like overrated: X Y Z A B C
underrated: 1 2 3 4
if you really thing its overrated at least ask if other people think that way or what are their views about it.

and when u said add on and discuss, some people felt different about your opinions about what was overrated/underrated. and tried to bring the point across and justify it. but you actually took them as if they were trying to flame you and what they were saying as the "absolute truth". they're just expressing their opinion and justifying why... at least that was how i felt about superpotato.

just read around this forum, the hype is all on mij/cij strats. sure, mij/cij strats are good. but mim are close if not level with mij/cij, but where's the hype for mim? totally silent. if that's not over rated and under rated then i don't know what is.

you need to read my posts more clearly. geez. i did ask people to contribute their views too.

with regards to superpotato it only got ugly when he said heritage is not better than gibson. i then told him that heritage > gibson and if he doesn't see this as well then there's really no point talking further. it's like if you believe TGM > Gibson then there's no point discussing further with you too, is there? is this considered a flame? but he took it the wrong way and flamed me, so i only replied appropriately. get it right, be clear who turned hostile first. also take note that he bashed this thread in one of his earlier posts but i didn't even flame him for that.

Aiyo, opinions nia, what's the fuss man. I see this thread also blur man.

Rule of the thumb:
If it sounds and feels good to you, then YOU can say its good, but if it isn't, just don't put people down and saying Brand X is crap. Super sensitive issue especially if one owns that particular brand that gets put down!

To each his own! One man's meat is another man's poison, this thread is all solely based on opinions, so nuff' said. At least the content I see here are backed by examples and stuff, not baseless accusations, unlike on tgp but still everyone is entitled to their own opinions!

PEACE OUT~

Hey peace guys.
MAKE MUSIC NOT WAR!!!

PS: I love my guitars; doesn't matter the brand since I handpicked it myself!

Actually i find this thread quite useful to me. I've quite limited knowledge on the brands of guitars and being able to hear opinions from why ppl think certain brands are good or bad is quite nice.

Honestly ts, the way you bring across what's overrated be it guitarist/guitar brands is kinda.. err
well i read both your threads and i do understand what u meant by overrated need not mean that it sucks, but still it still came across as an slightly offensive & self opinionated post( like how you described the rg models)
anyhow i dont understand why is ibanez overrated? it's price tag speaks justice of the quality the consumers get? yes no?
and what's wrong with basswood?because it's a cheap wood? so having a lower value then its other cousins like mahogany,rosewood,alder means that it is inferior ? then again i solely believe it's an issue of how it's used, i mean then again speaking of signatured series guitar why would any artiste pick basswood of all the wood they have avail?.
I've said my piece,
Good day to you bro :)

with regards to superpotato it only got ugly when he said heritage is not better than gibson. i then told him that heritage > gibson and if he doesn't see this as well then there's really no point talking further. it's like if you believe TGM > Gibson then there's no point discussing further with you too, is there? is this considered a flame? but he took it the wrong way and flamed me, so i only replied appropriately. get it right, be clear who turned hostile first. also take note that he bashed this thread in one of his earlier posts but i didn't even flame him for that.

hahaha, u refuse to accept that there are other opinions such as superpotatos view that heritage is not better than gibson and then u call pple highhorse_wanker. talk abt blind.

just see how superpotato and my exchanges developed, self explanatory. or maybe you are too blind to see that. it's still much better than your flames. funny that you say "talk about blind" and accepting other people's views.

it looks to me that you are standing on the shitty side of the grass while disguising yourself as sitting on the fence. i.e you come in here as a flamer yet saying stupid things like aiya everybody can have an opinion, what's the point of discussing gear, blah blah blah, while flaming. so, what's your farking point?

To van halen:

I merely inquired the way you got your point across to dodgethis when he posted a random post you told him to shut his trap or get lost. Im not against the idea of asking him to post constructive things but the way you got it across is totally disrespectful.

When i pointed this out you said that im defending a criminal clearly reflecting what im like. This is the issue that i got quite annoyed. I didnt see the need for such remarks. Im not dissing the idea behind what youre getting at which is to tell him to post constructively. Im not defending him in anyway but instead pointing out the way you told him off. Does that reflect my character? Is a lawyer's character reflected 100% when he defends a criminal or does that put him in the same league as the criminal?

On your point about the heritage being better than gibsons i have nothing against that. What i wanted to do was to get you to prove your point because it is not a universal fact known all over the world that this is such.

Hence i told you to take an objective stand which i tried to provide because this is opinionated

Several posts here just list what brands are underated/overrated without explaining why.

How then will it be helpful if you dont not substantiate why brand A is better than brand B.

Hope this clear things up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back