My Hand cramps up

PunkyPorky

My right hand cramps up after playing with a pick continuously for 20 mins of fast songs...any idea how to counter the cramp...I think it's weak thats why...any suggestions???

hey porky, you could do more picking exercises to increase your stamina in playing just like jogging. But don't jog with your bass ahah. :mrgreen:

My right hand cramps up after playing with a pick continuously for 20 mins of fast songs...any idea how to counter the cramp...I think it's weak thats why...any suggestions???

Are you small built teenage guy?
Cos teenage guys have a higher tendency to get cramps cos of bone maturation at that age.

You might wanna increase your sodium and/or calcium intake.
Indulge potato chips, milk or something.
But not too much alright.

Also your hand muscles may be in their relaxed position, and then you suddenly stress it by playing fast, of course get a cramp.
So warm up your hand/s first, stretching and all, so as to get the muscles "awake", stretched and ready.

And drink lots and lots of water too!!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
ha ha I realized that my hand usually cramps up because I exert too much force - normally when I practice I don't play as hard as the real thing. So, I suppose there are two ways to go around it: practice more, or be disciplined and play at your normal strength consistently!

Yea i tend to get cramps too if i use the pick, but finger style for me is the most comfortable. I've seen some youtube vids of bassists/guitarists with huge forearms. hmm.... maybe its time to hit the gym haha.

Are you small built teenage guy?
Cos teenage guys have a higher tendency to get cramps cos of bone maturation at that age.

Good Luck!

Actually I'm in my 20s any quite the big guy...
But I just started playing the bass again after quite a number of years...
Would pumping iron help???

Actually I'm in my 20s any quite the big guy...
But I just started playing the bass again after quite a number of years...
Would pumping iron help???

A little.
Cos pumping muscles is just to strengthen and increase your body muscle mass; the length of your muscles will not change.
So, as I said before you still need some stretching before you can stress them.
Bodybuilders get muscle cramps too. :)

I can't think of any examples to show you. Haha. Must go think.

pumping iron will help.... if you can pump iron for your hand and finger muscles. otherwise it will not help.

from a 'pumping iron' perspective, you should not be utilising your hand or finger muscles when doing weights, as that would be poor technique, which is injury waiting to happen. grip strength depends mainly on forearm muscles.

back to bass playing, repetition is the only way. there is no fast way to success. everything worth achieving takes time.

make sure you don't become impatient and slop up the technique. otherwise things like carpal tunnel syndrome will hit you, and will affect your bass playing for the rest of your life

Back