Miserable luck in Jakarta

vernplum

I'm here on business.

I skipped out of some meetings early and took a 1 hour taxi ride to get to Melodia Musik - Indonesia's sole outlet for Mesa\Boogie gear. I thought I might pick up an F30 (small enough to fit in an aircraft overhead) or a V-Twin preamp, or perhaps a MKIV combo (bit heavy though) if they'd have had one in a nice hardwood.

When I arrived, there was a gleaming V-Twin preamp out on the counter and the shop lady was polishing it. She spoke Bahasa to me. I shook my head, then she spoke English:

"Hello, what do you want?" (sounds harsh, but she was smiling)
"One of those - a V-Twin please!"
"Oh sorry sir, this is the last one and it is just sold."
"Oh."
"Do you interested in anything else?" (sic)
"F-Series, F30 combo? Do you have one of those?"
"Oh, last one was sold yesterday."
"Oh, when do you receive new shipments?"
"February."
"Oh. Do you have a MKIv combo? I saw one on the website..."
"Oh, sorry sir, last one was also sold yesterday."
"Oh."
"Do you interested in anything else? Another pedal?"
"Can I have a free Mesa catalogue?"
"Yes."

Nuts.
Oh well, at least I got a catalogue to drool over.
Another 1 hour to get back to my hotel.

y dun ya place an order via credit card with her brother vernplum ? then get them to fed ex it to SG

stars said:
y dun ya place an order via credit card with her brother vernplum ? then get them to fed ex it to SG

That proved too much for the language barrier.
And I needed to pee.

fibredrive said:
all impt question is...how much were those items over there??
V-Twin was 5,200,000 Rupiah (SGD $1020)

F-30 was 10,000,000 Rupiah (SGD $2000)

No price on MKIV

ouch man....
those prices arent pretty... BTW vernplum why u wanna spend so much to get mesas?... why not other amps?... just curious..

and anyways, just got my Mesa Dual R'fier and Marshall J800. sweet man...especially with a TS9 or Rat in front...

yeah....they are all living happily in my pod xt. kekekek...

ChanMin said:
ouch man....
those prices arent pretty... BTW vernplum why u wanna spend so much to get mesas?... why not other amps?... just curious..

:)

Well, I've been playing for almost 20 years and in that time I've owned or borrowed:

1 Laney (VC 50)
1 Squier practice
1 15w Roland Cube (wish I'd kept that)
2 Fenders (a champ and a bullet practice)
4 Marshalls (15W practice, Jubilee 100w combo, another one I don't know the model of, and a micro stack)
1 Winfield brand (don't ask)

You can see most of these were solid state. The Laney was the most expensive (tube) and cost me over $2000 SGD. Frankly, I wasn't super impressed with the sound of it. The Jubilee combo was great for metal. So, where do I go from there? I'm considering a THD Univalve or a Mesa. There are many, many fine amps out there - some people hate them, but Mesa get consistently good reviews. In the last issue of guitarist magazine there is an article on the best/most essential gear. Mesa has 4 amps in the awards - more than the rest put together. Not always true, but you get what you pay for. I'm not rich, but I can comfortably afford one.

calibre2001 said:
Just a question ppl. How's the selection in Jakarta anyway? And are prices generally okay or way too pricey? Thanks

I remember seeing a Lone Star head, a Dual Rec head, a Dual Rec Rectoverb (?) combo, and a selection of cabs. And the V-Twin that I couldn't buy. Prices are generally ok - I wouldn't call them a bargain though. I'm sure I could have negotiated a reasonable price if I was really going to buy something..

yah you are right ... mesas do have very very consistent positive reviews.. but the price tag man... ouch..

calibre2001 said:
Just wanna know whether Laney tube amps are worth it? I'm interested in one at the moment.

Depends. What kind of music do you want to play and what do you want to sound like. When I owned one, i was in a hard rock/metal band. Not enough scooped crunch for me and the lead sound, while thick, was not very 'juicy'. I'm sure they vary widely in their range. The one I had also weighed about half a tonne.

ChanMin said:
yah you are right ... mesas do have very very consistent positive reviews.. but the price tag man... ouch..

For a hand built all tube amp I don't think so. It's all relative. :)

Vern might like to check out Bogner amps, there is a dealer at Jakarta address :
Tjahjo Wisanggeni , Jalan Sasak no 9c, Cipete, Kebayoran - Baru, Jakarta Selatan 12150 Indonesia , 081-295-83462 Phone twisanggenii65@yahoo.com

Dunno how gd there are..

Back