MI Audio: Tube Zone

omg, $350 for a TZ? kena already.. lol rsp $299 leh.

running a TZ on 18v when it's designed to run on 9v doesn't sound like a good idea. won't it fry the circuit inside?

the most important pedal, imo, is a clean compressor (or a coloured one which colours the way you like it to). it does wonders

omg, $350 for a TZ? kena already.. lol rsp $299 leh.

running a TZ on 18v when it's designed to run on 9v doesn't sound like a good idea. won't it fry the circuit inside?

the most important pedal, imo, is a clean compressor (or a coloured one which colours the way you like it to). it does wonders

Confirm or not bro?If so I will surely go demand an explaination.But I thought it was S$324 at ebenex/blackwood and guitar77?

Hey dude, $350 is a high price for a tube zone man.
But since you have the pedal already, i shall try my best to help you :)

TZ running on 18v
Its possible, sounds pretty sweet too.

You might want to get another drive to be used as a pre gain boost. This would tighten up that looser Boogie low end and give you more gain, sustain and compression.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but your current amp may not be very well suited for heavy low end riffage. There might be a chance of sputtering or oversaturation if you load it up with too much gain. So that iz just a thought, hope i'm advising you correctly hah.

Cheerz.

i'm pretty sure the rsp was S$299.

a quick check on musician's friend, http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...v.4-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=502480

it's 199 USD, which is 280 SGD. but i guess the pedal's price here fluctuates with the aussie dollar. i got mine from australia, from billy hyde music, i was certain the rsp there was around $249 (they don't have stock fer it now so it's not on their site) at that point of time, the aussie dollar was S$0.03 weaker than SGD, so i got it there for S$250, + shipping fees, it was slightly cheaper than the list price of S$299 here.

If it's S$324 now, that's easy to understand why. 249.00 AUD = 313.280 SGD at the current exchange rate. but i always pit product prices here with musician's friend because that's the cheapest they can get

Hey dude, $350 is a high price for a tube zone man.
But since you have the pedal already, i shall try my best to help you :)

TZ running on 18v
Its possible, sounds pretty sweet too.

You might want to get another drive to be used as a pre gain boost. This would tighten up that looser Boogie low end and give you more gain, sustain and compression.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but your current amp may not be very well suited for heavy low end riffage. There might be a chance of sputtering or oversaturation if you load it up with too much gain. So that iz just a thought, hope i'm advising you correctly hah.

Cheerz.

Thanks for the quick reply.If I'm using pedals,why isn't the ac4tv suitable for metal?Don't get the wrong idea bro,not challenging your opinion,I really mean it literally.Like Ive said,I have always been a multi user.Thus,I never had to worry about compatibility.Plug in whatever also about the same.

I'm actually thinking the same,you know,getting another overdrive/distortion to stack up with my tubezone.But what to buy?Should I get another dis/drive?Or maybe an eq that can be used as a booster,like the mxr 10 band eq?Orshould I get a dedicated booster like the rc booster?Damn daunting man.I was advised by a friend to put the booster last,before delay.Your method is to put it right after the guitar.Can explain to me the theory please?

I was thinking crunch box,directordrive,mxr doubleshot,mxr 10 band eq,tubescreamer,boss bluesdriver/ds1,fulltone ocd,visual sound j and h,blackstar ht overdrive.

Sorry ar,I'm really a litte confused now la.

Hmm alright. I was at Citymusic last time when one of the friendly staff demonstrated to me. He took a Les Paul and played a Line6 Uber Metal pedal through the AC4. He then used the same guitar and pedal with another amp, a Vox VT30 if i remember. I could definitely tell that the VT30 took the high gain better than the AC4. It sounded more solid with a stronger low end (It had a closed back though) I guess it's just the voicing of the amps. The VT30 is able to take heavier styles of music better.

This is just my personal experience. However, if you are fine with your amp and how it handles metal tones, then no problem then!

Now on to your search for a new pedal. I'm going to describe this to the best of my ability, hope it helps hah. Post gain and pre gain simply means the placement of your new boost/drive.
You could place your new pedal in front or behind the Tube Zone. In front would mean pre gain. By using your new pedal as a pre gain boost, you're adding more gain, saturation and sustain.
However, if you were to use the new pedal as a post gain boost, your tone would take on the characteristics of the new pedal. You could also boost your volume too by setting a higher level on the new pedal.

I would suggest you get another drive. One that is known for its pre gain boost abilities. Perhaps a BB Preamp or something. I wouldn't suggest the crunchbox or the J&H. These pedals are rather high gain distortions. If you were to stack them with your Tube Zone (Which i believe is a med - high gain drive), you might get oversaturation and a lot of noise. I'd leave the pedal suggestions to the more learned ones around here hehz.

Hope i haven't misleaded you plz (Someone correct me if i'm wrong!)

i'm pretty sure the rsp was S$299.

a quick check on musician's friend, http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...v.4-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=502480

it's 199 USD, which is 280 SGD. but i guess the pedal's price here fluctuates with the aussie dollar. i got mine from australia, from billy hyde music, i was certain the rsp there was around $249 (they don't have stock fer it now so it's not on their site) at that point of time, the aussie dollar was S$0.03 weaker than SGD, so i got it there for S$250, + shipping fees, it was slightly cheaper than the list price of S$299 here.

If it's S$324 now, that's easy to understand why. 249.00 AUD = 313.280 SGD at the current exchange rate. but i always pit product prices here with musician's friend because that's the cheapest they can get

And you know what?Don't forget it's a ''display set''.S$324 is what I know.Was quoted that last year.And ebenexe's website still reflecting that price.

Hmm alright. I was at Citymusic last time when one of the friendly staff demonstrated to me. He took a Les Paul and played a Line6 Uber Metal pedal through the AC4. He then used the same guitar and pedal with another amp, a Vox VT30 if i remember. I could definitely tell that the VT30 took the high gain better than the AC4. It sounded more solid with a stronger low end (It had a closed back though) I guess it's just the voicing of the amps. The VT30 is able to take heavier styles of music better.

This is just my personal experience. However, if you are fine with your amp and how it handles metal tones, then no problem then!

Now on to your search for a new pedal. I'm going to describe this to the best of my ability, hope it helps hah. Post gain and pre gain simply means the placement of your new boost/drive.
You could place your new pedal in front or behind the Tube Zone. In front would mean pre gain. By using your new pedal as a pre gain boost, you're adding more gain, saturation and sustain.
However, if you were to use the new pedal as a post gain boost, your tone would take on the characteristics of the new pedal. You could also boost your volume too by setting a higher level on the new pedal.

I would suggest you get another drive. One that is known for its pre gain boost abilities. Perhaps a BB Preamp or something. I wouldn't suggest the crunchbox or the J&H. These pedals are rather high gain distortions. If you were to stack them with your Tube Zone (Which i believe is a med - high gain drive), you might get oversaturation and a lot of noise. I'd leave the pedal suggestions to the more learned ones around here hehz.

Hope i haven't misleaded you plz (Someone correct me if i'm wrong!)

Thanks a lot bro.Now I'm really 'gassing'.

OCD
DIRECTDRIVE
TUBESCREAMER

Any other suggestions?
Also,where can I get fulltone/blackstar/barber stuff?

you can buy any 18V adaptor from hardware stores, as long as it fits. the last time i checked, it's definitely <$50...

HELP!!!!

Iwas told that I can power my tubezone with a DC adapter even when there is a battery connected.I found a 12v and have been using it.The led would get brighter and definitely sounds better when I use the adapter.

Wanting to A/B the difference,I kept trying with and without the dc simply by detaching and attaching randomly as I play,while the unit is on.A few days ago,I was fidgeting again as usual when suddenly,as I pulled out the power jack,the thing went dead.Usually,when I pull it out,the led would just get dimmer,as it will then running on the battery's 9v instead of 12v when its hooked to the DC.I thought that the battery is dead,so I just push the DC back in.It turned on again so I just continued to play.

Bought a new batt today to change the old one out but to my horror,upon takin off the base plate,I realised that the battery was leaking!!!Lucking,it's just the battery itself that's wet,and a little bit on the connector/clip.Thing is ,there are some blueish colour liquid in the connector,where the two points of the battery snaps on.What is it man?

From what I see,the leak didn't contact with any other parts.Lucky.But the connector did.I cleaned it carefully and put the new batt on and it seems fine.But I am worried and I wanna be sure I didn't do any permanant damage.There are tiny grooves on the connector that I just can't reach to clean.Can still see very little blue coloured stuff the grooves.Any idea what's that crap?

I do remember that on that night I was playing,my tubezone got quite heated up.Which is weird cozit usually doesn't get hot what.It's not like,say,a tube amp right?The only thing I can thnk of is that my DC adapter is a multi.You know,with different jack sizes and type.One of it touched the casing of my tubezone and there was a small ''zap''.But I quickly pull the extra jacks away and the unit was still fuctioning as per normal.But that's when I realized the unit got hot to the touch.But still working fine.

Damn.I hope I'm making myslef clear enough man.Sorry but I know jack about electronics and I'm trying my best to describe things to the best I can already...

CAn someone tell me what happened?Should I not put a battery in if I wanna use an adapter?Or,is attaching /detaching the adapter in and out while the unit is on wrong??Like I said,it's working normally now on both batteries and adapter.I'm just worried.And say,there is just a tiny bit of battery fluid in the connector clip,will it cause future batteries to leak as well?

maybe this is an indicator DC power & battery don't mix; battery clips can be replaced so your pedal isn't quite out of action
star-wars-smiley-5492.gif

in the 1st place, your pedal can take 12v or not? you don't use a 12v power supply to power a pedal that can only take 9v.

the Tubezone can even go up to 25V for massive headroom no problem. Read the owners manual on MI audio's site - its there.

I would recommend a regulated power supply though - like Dunlop's one, for instance.

Back