MI Audio: Tube Zone

subversion

TZ06_s.JPG

MI Audio Tube Zone
List: $299

Before you resign into submission lamenting the non-existence of a fantastic, tube-voiced pedal (knowing the tube-equipped units offered out there aren’t quite on par with the amps), you should give MI Audio’s Tube Zone an intensive audition.

The sheer presence of the TZ means business; housed in a chrome-finished housing, this pedal isn’t as hefty as one would expect. The surface of it stains easily, so it would be no surprise that at the end of the day, the TZ becomes a fingerprint hub. 6 knobs- that’s how many control options you get here, arguably more than other pedals have to offer. Other than the obligatory volume/ drive knobs, the TZ has a peculiar frequency selection- it doesn’t offer a bass knob per se. In lieu of this omission, lower end frequency manipulation can be had from the ‘tone/ character’ controls. The latter functions like one found in Ibanez’s Turbo-Tubescreamer (mode knob); adding bass while trimming the midrange/ treble simultaneously.

In use
It’s all about drive with this pedal. The TZ offers a versatile drive sweep, from very mild to very intense; it’s self-sufficient, so to speak. The volume knob here contributes significantly to the drive engagements, turn it up & you’ll get more drive in the mix. Players should also be warned that the TZ can get very loud even at low amp volume levels.

Still on drive- the midrange & high knobs has a wide sweep, do adjust them incrementally while playing and hear the drive differences as you do so. It seems overtly done but that is how the drive containment works here, it’s not merely controlled by the ‘drive’ knob.

The TZ will do blues crunch proudly. Check the relevant frequencies & you’ll get the smooth Tubescreamer-like voicing you had always admired. Metal isn’t an estranged genre with the TZ, palm muted chugs & soaring leads are the pedal’s specialty. Enough said…

Parting words
It wouldn’t be a biased opinion on this reviewer’s part to conclude that MI Audio has introduced to the drive-inclined players out there one of the most versatile overdrive/ distortion pedal in the market. The fact that it’s voiced to sound tube-like would be a ready acceptance for many of us who are excessively fed with solid-state type pedal tone. If you are fanatical enough, owning a decent pre-amp & likewise speaker cab are all the essentials you need to manifest the TZ’s superb tonal versatility. However, be informed that this pedal isn’t as forthcoming when run on battery as it is kept alive with a PSU. Highly recommended.

Rating: 9/10

• Durable exterior
• Bright LED
• True bypass

Dislikes:
• Complete removal of base plate for battery access
• No dedicated bass knob
• Price

**Thank you G77 for the review invitation! 8)

With regards to Sub's reviews,

I do not quite concur with the lack of a dedicated bass knob being a 'con', so to speak.

To quote:
"The latter functions like one found in Ibanez’s Turbo-Tubescreamer (mode knob); adding bass while trimming the midrange/ treble simultaneously."

Firstly,
the lows on the TZ can be easily controlled with the 'Tone' knob.
Turning the 'Tone' knob anti-clockwise boosts the lower freq and attenuates the higher freq, vice versa.
If the loss of the higher freq bothers one, they can easily be compensated with the 'bright' and 'mid' knobs.

Secondly,
there is also the 'Character' and 'Bright' knobs and the internal presence control to shape your tone with.

In a nutshell, the 'Character' control adds bass to the pre-clipping stage.
Fully anti-clockwise, you get a modern, focused overdrive.
Fully clockwise, you get a big, fuzzy, vintage fuzzy overdrive.

The 'Bright' knob is particularly useful. Say if you have a dark sounding amp, you can turn up the 'Bright' knob to compensate, vice versa.
Similarly, you can use the 'Tone' knob to set the low/high balance and then use the 'Bright' knob as a traditional tone control.

Lastly,
most players, or all players, would be using this pedal in conjunction with an amp where dedicated 'bass', 'mid' and 'treble' controls are present.
The EQ on the amp is part of the equation.

Hence, judging by the comprehensive coverage of all frequencies and more via the TZ's 6 knobs, coupled with the fact that the TZ is almost never used singularly to control the entire tone, I have to say that I do not see how the lack of a dedicated 'bass' knob is a bad thing.

And if given the choice to replace any of the knobs on the TZ for a dedicated 'bass' knob, I'd decline.
The knobs/controls are designed in such a way that all based are covered, and a dedicated 'bass' knob would be redundant to say the least.
And frankly, 6 knobs is enough for me.

Phil said:
Hence, judging by the comprehensive coverage of all frequencies and more via the TZ's 6 knobs, coupled with the fact that the TZ is almost never used singularly to control the entire tone, I have to say that I do not see how the lack of a dedicated 'bass' knob is a bad thing.

we indeed get more tonal options with the (6) controls offered by the pedal- players who wish to address the bass frequency per se would have to do a trial-&-error with the character/ tone knobs (neither of these address the bass solely, without interfering with midrange & treble). blending takes time & that's not what many would have in live situations. nevertheless, feature familiarity will breed understanding.

no doubt, the TZ will inevitably be in use with amps or other units with a dedicated EQ section; reliance on secondary EQ manipulation simply highlights the pedals' shortcomings.

those of us who have tried the TZ would be impressed with the tone it has to offer as oppossed to the knobs' offerings. critically, the TZ has more than adequate EQ controls to appease frequency fanatics. there are no grave omissions in the TZ, the reason it received a 9/10 rating.

The amp's eq is v impt, but i wld prefer if the pedal does have a bass switch or knob. Why? Cuz if i set my amp eq with more bass just for this setting, then all my other pedals or even running it clean will have that same character.

I do prefer to have some flexibility like i can run this pedal for more lows type of dist, or that pedal for more like a treble booster thing, rather than run everything into the amp eq, n coming out with the same character. Like a dif preamp setting...

Not sure if the tone knob does boost the lows, i think it just cuts the highs for a perceived boost. Something like the passive mid boost knobs u see in strats.

just my tot lah

Sub, I've heard many a player comment that the Tubezone sounds "mesa-like", which is well, vague.

Whats your take on this?

E.g. The Crunchbox is a "screaming Marshall in a box".

Dan i remembered Subby sayin dat TZ sounds like a super saturated Marshall/ Peavey Triple XXX. Frm wat i can recall lah..

ShredCow said:
Sub, I've heard many a player comment that the Tubezone sounds "mesa-like", which is well, vague.

Whats your take on this?

'MESA-like' is a valid description of the TZ in its very saturated setting. it's not a singular-voiced pedal, it's capabale of this & more. IMO the TZ, tweaked appropriately, has better definition than the average MESA voicing.

tube (MESA) vs non-tube unit: quite an unavailing comparison...

the TZ's overall performance, in light of its intensity & dynamics, would give many boutique names a run for their $$$...

i just got this pedal and its great! compared it side by side with the crunchbox... gotta say with lotsa patience and the right tweaking, the tube zone can get to sound SOMETHING like the crunchbox, but with its gain not maximized.. crunchbox still gets the spot for the crazy marshall sound.
the tubezone's forte is versatility, and good tones from almost every tweak:)

too many knobs promotes versatility and endless options..
but it can be a nightmare as well..
haha.. close your eyes and you keep seeing knobs, knobs and more knobs!
would love to try crunchbox and tube zone together to compare them..
the bad thing about it is the price i guess..
its about the same price as fulltone ocd too, which has a certain calibre of oomphness..
lol.. :D

crap i never tried the OCD!!!! but but i know i wont be buying it anytime soon at all... way to ex for me with its options..
well tubezone does appeal to those who have little money and LOVE tweaking!!

thats sad man..
haha..
fulltone ocd + ts9dx is the sex! :twisted:
its serious full of tone man.. haha.. creamy to the max!
btw, tubezone and ocd same price man..
and i doubt tubezone appeals to those who have little money.. 300 is quite pricey imo..

Crunch box on 3/4 gain, followed by Tubezone on low gain + mid volume and a bit of tweaking on the bright, mid and char knobs, and the pair give you an awesome lead tone!!! :twisted:

Back