MI Audio: Tube Zone

Hmm..

The tubezone has the previous 4 pages to describe what its characteristics are like..

I personally owned one and found it too noisy as well as the stock mesa sound not really appealing to me.

It was even noisier than my Metal Muff, however i have to agree the pedal has a wide range of options. That aside its a fingerprint magnet due to its casing :D

As for the Krank, i dont find anything spectacular about it.

For the price you pay there are alot of other pedals more worth it..

The tubescreamer is a low gain OD, different from the 2 mentioned above. If youre looking for a nice bluesy phat tone, the Tubescreamer is for you. However if your looking to play towards the heavier side, this should not be your stand alone drive. Can be used as a solo boost though. Do mind the mid hump 'problem' which many complain about, but i feel that theres too much fuss about it. Again trust your ears.

BOSS pedals have a wide variety, from different models to different places they are made. Boss has some really good pedals and some really crappy ones. A Boss DS-1 is a good buy for its price, if youre looking for distortion. There are several mods for Boss pedals as their simple to modify, a good example is the Robert Keeley Mod DS-1.

As for the rest, i have never tried them in person thus it would be inaccurate to impose my view based on demos/sound clips.

Heres a good page you might wanna visit. Proguitarshop.com

Theres 2 pedals that i would recommend too if youre looking for a high gain OD though,

For a marshall in a box the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret does the job nicer than any other pedal in the market currently. In my opinion. The other being the barber direct drive. Go check them out on the link given. If i were to rant on about both pedals this post would get much longer than it already is.

Hope i have clarified anything in some way or another.

Take care and choose wisely.

Above all trust your OWN ears. :cool:

heh thanks Jon. I believe the older Krank is using a different opamp which makes it have a bigger sound....like the Crunchbox version one.

I tried the newer ones at Blackwood....and Zax had one.. for a pedal with the supposed "metal" in its namesake you'd expect all balls wall out distortion but no! The Krank sounds like an overdrive.....although a rather heavy one imo. And it dosent sound anything like the amp its supposed to emulate at all.

Zax replaced both the Krank with a TZ....but he also ended up replacing the TZ with something even better :)

advice needed

ok,bottom line.i wanna go analogue.forget what i've stated earlier in my 'list'.
i wanna go boutique(high end).my first pedal to get would be a 'dirt' box.meaning overdrive,distortion,fuzz ect.you get the idea.wah,and other modulation effects can come later.i want versatility,and i like thick/tubey/bluesy/crunchy sounds,which i was told is best found in tubeszone.which in turn brought me to this thread\forum.budget is S$350.what would you guys recommend?

what about tc electronisnova drive.i called blackwood but they say they have no idea when they are coming in,neither do can they give mr the retail price....

or,zvex box of rock?i heard it really good.

and klon centuar?

Last edited:
ok,bottom line.i wanna go analogue.forget what i've stated earlier in my 'list'.
i wanna go boutique(high end).my first pedal to get would be a 'dirt' box.meaning overdrive,distortion,fuzz ect.you get the idea.wah,and other modulation effects can come later.i want versatility,and i like thick/tubey/bluesy/crunchy sounds,which i was told is best found in tubeszone.which in turn brought me to this thread\forum.budget is S$350.what would you guys recommend?

what about tc electronisnova drive.i called blackwood but they say they have no idea when they are coming in,neither do can they give mr the retail price....

or,zvex box of rock?i heard it really good.

and klon centuar?

as mentioned in my long post which im unsure if you read through, the tubezone does indeed have a wide range of options.

If you manage to get to blackwood and try one try tweaking all the knobs, if you reach your optimum sound then its the pedal youre looking for. What ive presented was the answer to your 'list' as well as suggesting to you two other versatile pedals. If youre looking for versatility that can go all the way from low end dirt to a marshall in a box but with a bit of compression making it 'thick', the Barber Direct Drive is for you, retailing about close to only Sgd $200.

Go check out barber products. Hand made products at the cheapest price you can find for such high quality goods.

The only brand i find really really bang for buck

Why boutique alone?

The klon is one of the most expensive pedals in the market. $350 will not get you even close to one.

teztube, for all those boutique pedals u just mentioned, no point coming here to ask.

go to the gear page. those cork sniffers out there will be able to help u.

advice needed

thanks for the responses guys.i am now sold on BOTH the tubezone the direct drive...
die,can't make up my mind.the both sound so good to me...

The tubezone sounds a bit fake on the highs to me. Its flabby bass makes it ill-suited for a tight high gain metal chug imo, and i ended up trading if after i got my sansamp GT2 (older version). No longer using that too though.

As a low to mid gain OD its NOT BAD, although I find it a bit too fiddly (6 knobs) and expensive if you'r planning to use the TZ for just that.

The direct drive is very nice for that mid gain marshall crunch it does. I preferred it to the crunchbox although the latter had more gain.

advice needed

here's the thing.i sold all my gear sometime back.so now,i'm on a borrowed and really not bad sounding laney lg35r,which my friend is willing to let me have for $140(like new).i have always been a multi user,thus,stand alone pedals are new to me.i have $400 to spend now.i have been struggling to make up my mind on either the tubezone,or the directdrive.now,i'm even more confused.can't seem to make up my mind,coz i just found out about vox's latest ac4tv amp,which is going for $300.and its really really nice and tempting.what do i do man?amp first,as in a better amp like the ac4?or should i just go for the directdrive and my friend's laney.or if i decided to get the tubezone,i could just continue borrowing his amp first(good friend).

HELP!!!

btw,if i do chose the directdrive,where do i bring to get it modded?are there any common mods for the tubezone?

Last edited:
Amp before all. Tubezone requires no mods, imho. I doubt the Directdrive has any available mods as well.

Its really a matter of tonal taste. Directdrive offers clear tonal coloring (my opinion), whilst the tubezone offers a wider range of availability.

Amp before all. Tubezone requires no mods, imho. I doubt the Directdrive has any available mods as well.

Its really a matter of tonal taste. Directdrive offers clear tonal coloring (my opinion), whilst the tubezone offers a wider range of availability.

i have modded my direct drive with deep bass + presence + open air mod ( treble extended )

Wow... thats rather fast...

I've yet to test the Tubezone against my amp (cos the amp only arriving in september...), maybe I'll post something after that (loaning the tubezone from a friend).

heh thanks Jon. I believe the older Krank is using a different opamp which makes it have a bigger sound....like the Crunchbox version one.

I tried the newer ones at Blackwood....and Zax had one.. for a pedal with the supposed "metal" in its namesake you'd expect all balls wall out distortion but no! The Krank sounds like an overdrive.....although a rather heavy one imo. And it dosent sound anything like the amp its supposed to emulate at all.

Zax replaced both the Krank with a TZ....but he also ended up replacing the TZ with something even better :)

what did he replace the tubezone with?

kelvin at guitar connection has a tubezone in stock.he claims that it is a display set and that he has sold a few already.anyone can verify this?was he really selling tubezones?or is that a second hand unit he is trying to pass off as a new one?coz i don't wanna buy second hand.nothing against secondhand stuff,just my ocd man...

Last edited:
maybe someone who ever bought any pedals there can share. i got mine from G77, thye gave me a fresh unit as the display version is not for sale :cool:

Bought it.350.Tio tok ah.Really desperate to get it,otherwise I would never buy stuff there man.Lets just say that i don't respect the way the boss does business,and trust me,i have very valid reasons.

Anyway,I need some advice.I heard that running the tubezone at 18 is highly recommended,and I wanna try it myself.But when I went to buy an ac adapter,I was asked what 'ma'.I know jack about electronics man.All I know is that I need an 18v adapter.500ma,1000ma,1700ma,what do they mean?Also,is it ac or dc?What's the difference?

Btw,I really dig the pedal man.Good enough for me.However,I play a little metal as well,and I'm struggling to find a suitable setting for those palm muted crunch tones.Sorry guys,I know my terminology sucks.

Any suggestion?Should I get an eq pedal or what?I'm starting from scratch man.Have always been a multi guy,so I know nothing about stompboxes.I'm using a les paul standard thru the tubezone and into an ac4tv.

Thanks,and sorry for the multiple questions and lenghty posts.

Back