Marshall MG15MSII

subversion

marshall_mg15msII_microstack.jpg

Marshall MG15MSII
List: $375

So the most memorable moment you had with your Marshall MG15 was when you sold it away- a familiar parting tale with many of us who find this amp lacking in tone & relegated it as a practice grade as we progress in our playing. Enter the MG15MSII.

This isn't a debut mini by Marshall, the Lead 12 of the 80s/ 90s was a serious tone contender, pity it was discontinued. The MSII here consists of a twin 1x10 closed back cab which dictate all the tonal differences. These are even tailored to mimic a slant & straight-faced combination which remain a visual pleasure albeit contributing zilch to tonal projection. One would expect a compromised upholstery standard in this price category but there is nothing amiss in this department as with other constructional aspects. Bravo.

As this is a 'shrunk' amp, the mass of each component is very haul-friendly, as such; it remains very portable to the user. However, this becomes a critical problem as the unit in its entirety is unable to anchor itself firmly to the floor to avoid being toppled over. It is very susceptible to cable tugs & unanticipated collisions, be warned.

In use
The MG15MSII isn’t about offering a novelty amp per se because the tone speaks. If you are currently embittered by your MG15, know that this stacked version provides a different voicing largely due to the closed back feature of the speaker cab, more bass is evidently heard from it, so the MG15MSII isn’t excessively trebly by any means. While the 3 EQ knobs provide familiar tonal manipulations, the ‘contour’ option is actually a midrange boost/ cut control in lieu a midrange trimming per se. Hence, this knob can seriously boost your bass responses in various circumstances. The FDD option has its way with clarity in the overdrive mode while the genuine spring reverb adds some pronounced depth to your cleans.

Do turn up the volume when you play this amp (past the midway mark at least) because that’s when the EQ section comes to life; a minor tweak could yield a wide return. The amp also becomes more pick sensitive at the aforementioned volume levels.

Verdict
This amp isn’t quite an upgrade if you are currently playing a practice unit. What the MG15MSII provide, is a substantial addition to depth; effectively turning it into a significant tone contender should you be looking for substantial drive in an adorable physique. In addition to that, it comes with a respectable clean response, arguably worth the money you are parting with.

I had a great time rearranging the cab positions & placing it in various locations in my room to obtain differentiated reverb responses, oblivious to the fact that it already has a reputable default reverb. Things get very stereo when you place them at the right/ left while playing. What you get with this mini stack is an extended tonal expedition, not an entirely new aural experience but it’s a delightful substitute for the practice amp which you are itching to replace. All in all, the MG15MSII is a deserving deputy to the Lead 12.

• Tone
• User-friendly features

Dislikes:
• Light-weight, physically unstable
• No channel indicator light

how big is this amp? refer to this pic:

marshallmg15ministack.jpg

available @ several dealers (including the Zakk Wylde version), Ebenex & Davis among others... 8)

thanks dude...
thinking of getting this..
but would u recommend the zakk wylde version?
should i save up a bit more and get the zakk wylde one?

Zakk Wylde vs The Regular

i received PMs pertaining to the above concern- the general encouragement here is: there are no tonal differences between the 2 amps, the ZW version lists for more than its mundane, regular, counterpart. with the ZW, it's all about visual attraction as the front control panel has its endorser-related design.

also- someone wants a rating for this amp (you know who you are 8) ), the reason it's not included is because it's brought over from the previous database. nevertheless:

Construction/ features: 85%
Tone: 90%
Overall rating: 88%

personally, if you feel the smaller make Marshalls aren't fantastic, this one isn't in that league.

Compared to the Cube 30X, which one is better? (Both are priced around the same, yes? (After discount for the 30X)))

there's no 'better' here. the Marshall MG15MSII was conceived to be utilitarian- it's a no frills unit really, made novel by the stack format. the Ibanez Toneblaster X are more deserving competitors.

CUBE30X has some default amp emulation/ modulation/ reverberation options that propels the amp in terms of variety appeal.

if you have a collection of pedals which fortifies your tone regardless of any amps you plug into, the Marshall is recommended. if you think you need good tones with some FXs on board (because you dislike pedals at this point in time) to keep you interested, the CUBE is a better option.

which of these amps gives a better tone, only comparing in terms of clean and overdrive mode? I guess the cube would sound more digital..

the CUBE has a few overdrive voicings to be content with while the Marshall here has effectively one drive mode (plus the FDD option it would effectively be 2 but the FDD isn't a drive module).

in terms of clean, the Marshall benefits from a warm close-back cab voicing. this effectively differentiates itself from its non-stack open back sibling which sounds very entry-level at best. i was attracted to this Marshall due to this offering. the CUBE's clean voicing is an average response but it benefits from the chorus effect on board, the mere minimum inclusion adds much depth to prevent it from being very artificial.

Valbee vs Mini Stack

i use pedal efx , which one will suit better

i realised that valbee dosent have reverb :(

is it better to get valbee and a reverb pedal or just get Mini stack

ValBee's default drive isn't an intense type, chances are, if you play anything beyond blue, you need drive pedal enhancements...

...but ValBee has FX loop 8)

i tried tis amp at davis
n i hear buzzing everytime i bring da gain up 2 7 or more
do u get such problems?

I have grounded the plug and yet I hear some feedback when the Gain past 6.. Any idea on how to solve this problem?

Thanks!! 8)

Back