how to train to sing while playing the bass?

Just my two cents.. but perhaps you'd wanna try playing in a dark room first? Cause I think if you can nail the bass part of the song without having to constantly check your fingering on the fretboard, half the job is done. Yeap. From then on you can focus on the singing part. How bout that?

my friend plays hysteria bass and sings lead. =)

Oh my, that would be my aim.
At least Mike doesn't like on and off his pedals while playing.(I THINK.)
If he does then its really much harder to get what I want to get done.

Alright, to me, I think for me, the way to check whether you can sing and play is...
that you can multitask and at the same time play on time, etc. etc.
I try once in a while, if the bassline is simple/I remember it and know each position with my eyes closed, blah blah blah... then I'll try singing.
And some songs have like different pitches, soprano or alto, I think thats how its spelled?
Yes anyway
It was for simpler songs like Anna-molly by Incubus, I.V. by X Japan and other songs..

But for other things...
Like say, RHCP, in general is not that easy to sing along to of course.

And another thing, so what if you can sing and play?
Can you hit the right notes(on both sides)?
Effectively, whether the song turns out right in the end is that your playing must be correct and NO mistakes.

I think a lot of teachers(maybe not qualified) or self-taught learners miss the fact that....when we practise our instrument(be it guitar, bass etc)...try to look in front.....instead of always keeping your eyes(bad habit)on the fretboard all the time....grap the fretboard by feel, not by sight.......you can express better that way...

So that why many local concert I have seen, i can see the players eyes is so focus on their instrument (which is not so nice to look at)

the open secret is practise until you don't need to think...if you cannot do it...
it's just not enough practice....

Back