how to train to sing while playing the bass?

How i sang and play bass...

If u are able to subdivide the rhythm of the vocal lines and bass lines, basically u have already conquered the song, try to play and sing it 1/2 time slower than the normal speed, if its a fast song, try even slower, practice and practice and practice untill u get the flow of it.

Listening and understanding is very important. Practice is even more important especially at a much slower speed, once u get all the rhythm right for both vocal and bass then work on getting ur vocals to flow and float on top of the steady basslines, u wanna sound natural and at ease. Then all u have to do from that point onwards is to speed up to desired speed slowly....

Subdivision of rhythm is not hard, its basically breaking down, if its some complicated rhythm, break it down some more... also, school band kids learn it so u can try asking and understanding more about it.

whoa didn't realize this thread still got people reply

the hard part is singing while thumping the same note for many intervals, for example the police song every breath you take. one part of your brain sings "every breath bla bla.." the other part goes 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4, and another controls your fretting hand, and the last controls your plucking hand. so in total you need 4 brains to do the job. haha..

but of course, practice makes perfect. try and try, and get used to it. i'm still working on it now

metrenome...

practise with a metrenome..I use it to practise guitar and singing.. it's a real bitch.. it'll help you get it down.. and personally I find the traditional piano ting-tock-tock-tock type works best.. heh heh.. the digital ones don't work for me..

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

I love this site, allows me to practice online with a free metronome and the sound is not irritating, well not as irritating as the ting ting beep beep ones.... =P Only thing is its not as detailed as a digital or full tempo range metronome, but hey, just get the closest speed to the song u wanna practice, that enough for me ^^; its free~

i use hammerhead rythm station. it actually creates realistic drum beats and there're tons of samples to download. best thing is, it's free. go google it.

Don't OT too much guys. I think we know there are many bassists+leadvox's out there.

Do keep in mind: your punk rock lead vox = not much of a kick compared to ... stuff like Level 42, for the simple reason that punk rock bass is rather mindless (except for the old days of GreenDay)

So it really depends on what genre you intend to sing & play!

Since most of us here can communicate with "rock" as a wide scope of music, go to YOUTUBE and do a search on GO!GO!7188 Yes that is the band name. 3 piece band, guitarchick+leadvox basschick+backupvox drumsdude+backupvox. The GUITARIST is amazing at singing lead and still managing all that chord work (there isn't a backup guitarist) and the BASSIST is even more mindblowing with her un-common harmonies, while playing a BASSLINE, not a one note chug. Oh and yes they're singing japanese. I spoke of this example because she's actually playing bassLINES and not one note x4 per bar. If you would bother to transcribe her basslines, I'd warn you that they're not very easy AND weird sounding at certain parts - but fit perfectly. #1 Bass chick on my list.

If that inspires you, then go get practicing: just find a song on your portable music player or computer, play it back, thump the bassline then sing together with the song IN PITCH/KEY/RHYTHM. Keep trying. Some times you'll suck at first, but keep trying. You can do it softly first, that might help (so that u can identify which parts are offbeat and which are on, so you don't lose yourself)

+1 to Freeko's advice on page 1. Freeko is up and coming lead singer + bassist! IMO. hahaha XD

Last edited:
If you're looking at someone who plays basslines and sings, do check out JoJo Garza of Los Lonely Boys. He does lead vocals on a couple of tracks like Velvet Sky, More Than Love and Crazy Dream, he practically sings the same thing as the lead vocals in most of the other songs like Heaven, Senorita(really good playing in this one, fast runs and all!) and Nobody Else!

Do check him out! :D

u shld also look into les claypool of primus and geddy lee of rush. bloody awesome bassists who does lead vocals.

if you're the type who plays punk, well, you can look up mark hoppus (back at blink 182) and that all american rejects singer plays bass...

I have tried playing bass and singing at the same time and I gave myself an F on it.

FAILED

Hahahahaha!!

But I don't really need to do it lah, just curious how some people like Sting can do it so effortlessly. I can do drums and sing, and of course play guitar and sing but I'd rather hold the mic stand than anything else.

:mrgreen:

no problem for me...

I particularly enjoy singing & playing you can call me al by Paul Simon

The phenomenon explained...

Conquering the rhythm is ALL IMPORTANT!

When a drummer plays, he needs to synchronize various rhythms in his hands and feet. At any point in time it may seem that all four limbs are working independently. Truth is... It all works as one large instrument. Like playing the bass and singing, Another analogy is finger-style guitar, where the thumb plays one rhythm and the fingers play another.

Basically it all boils down to a stream of musical events streaming over time... An example of an 8th note (quaver) rhythm might look like this:

example.gif

Notice that some events happen on their own, while others happen together.
You simply need to practice the coordination of it, until you achieve the combined rhythm/feel... always practice slowly at first.

Turn on your metronome and set it to 1 beat for each 8th/quaver ( 8/8 ), then practice each part individually (use an open A, and sing 'La') making sure your events line up to each of the 8 beats per measure

As a bassist who sings, you need to devote 3 times as much effort as you 1) must learn your bass parts, 2) you must learn your vocal parts, and 3) you must learn to put them together. It's not easy... but it gets easier the more you do it.

Next step? Add pitch to your rhythm (MUAHAHAHAA!!!)

Last edited:
An after thought...

When we play bass we very often 'sing' the part in our heads as we play because it is a melodic or 'single-melody line' instrument (as well as a rhythm & harmony tool). Try to detach yourself from this (if you can). Try to hear yourself in the context of the music (rather than just concentrating on your own performance). E.g. listen through the 'collective ear', don't just listen to yourself ;)

Of course if you want to sing (vocals)... you can't be singing (thinking) something else at the same time. Concentrate on the singing, and let the bass-part become a less significant part of your thought process. Let the singing become mental and the bass become more of physical movements. Later when you gain control over the whole process, you can learn to switch your mind back and forth, to gain maximum control over either part.

Last edited:
Just some opinions..

Know either the lyrics or basslines well first.

Then, do both together, SLOWLY. As slow as it gets for you to get the changes for both parts right simultaneously.

Slowly increase the tempo as you practice, till you hit the song's actual tempo. It may seem like a slow and daunting process, but trust me, 10 - 30 minutes of consistent practice, you'd get it on the day itself. Of course, complexity of the song comes into play. Just go slow, you'll get it!

Just my two cents. :)

There's The Eagles bassist too --> Timothy B. Schmidt

Some others're Billy Sheehan of course, and Matt Bissonette, though they're not as well known for their vocals. =)

Mark King from Level 42 - the Mark-ster can slap at high speed and sing some beautiful melodic lines, worth a listen for inspiration.

Lead vocals/bass here - I kind of fall back on the roots and keep the rhythm going with the drummer while doing vocals, stretching out on simpler vocal passages and interludes.

Peace - keep at it and practice plenty. A good singer once shared this advice: Sing like you would to get yourself heard in a crowded club. Find practice places where you can really belt it out at volume while rocking out on your instrument - it helps build confidence, even on mellow numbers.

Back