how to train to sing while playing the bass?

hayabusa

when i play the guitar, either strumming or plucking, i had no problems singing along. but now i play bass, things become a mess. either i sing but can't play properly or play but can't sing properly. is it just me or playing bass and singing really takes more effort?

i must admit it's harder to sing on the bass than the guitar. there're not many bands that have a vocal/bass compared to vocal/guitar. in fact, most vocal/guitar just do leads. any explaination/theory out there? and how can i imporve on it?

imo why i think its much harder when you bass vocals is cause of the number of things you have to consider.

1) When you play bass you have to work with the drummer and the band to keep time(which is extremely important!) so you're trying to listen to the drummer..

2) THEN you have to concentrate on hitting the right notes when it comes to singing and the right notes to play on bass.

3) Singing in time also plays another factor.

Word of advice i got when i sang and played bass in the band is to make sure the band is REALLY locked in tight so you can eliminate the number of factors to worry about.

I know the things i mentioned are pretty obvious but i hope my advice helps! i'm still learning too! :)

I think the hard things is because when u play a certain rhythm, your singing tends to follow that rhythm (ie sycopated or non legato), depending on the style of music too. I think ballads are easier.

i found this malaysian band called Tempered Mental. you can check out their profile on myspace. they have a female vocal/bassist. when she sings she plays simple root notes. she does more complex melodies during the instrumental part. guess it's still tough even for a proffessional.

i've read somewhere that girls are better than guys at multitasking. and singing while bass playing is a huge multitask if you ask me considering all the factors. i've seen a couple of other singapore bands with girls on the vocal/bass. they played pretty well. guess girls can do better.

ps: does sting ever play and sing or he only does one at a time?

Male bass player that sing and play at the same time, some examples

Paul McCartney - Beatles
Sting - The Police
Tom Araya - Slayer
Peter Cetera - Chicago
Mark King - Level 42
Burke Shelley - Budgie
Geddy Lee - Rush

i found this malaysian band called Tempered Mental. you can check out their profile on myspace. they have a female vocal/bassist. when she sings she plays simple root notes. she does more complex melodies during the instrumental part. guess it's still tough even for a proffessional.
I saw Tempered Mental a few years ago when they came down for Bay Beats and they are amazing! Melina not just playes simple root notes under her vocals, she does some really mean riffs too while she's singing.

For playing bass while singing (or vice versa depending on how you look at it), I find it is much easier to do both together when I use a pick. Somehow not having to think about which finger to use to pluck the string helps me multitask.

It's just a matter of practice.

Learn the bassline like the back of your hand first, so you don't have to think about it.

Once that is second nature, play the bassline slowly and try to add in vocals.

You'll eventually find out where in the basslines the vocals come in and when they go out.

When you're familiar with that, slowly bring it back up to speed.

The idea is to be able to sing without thinking about what you're playing, but that's easier said than done. I'm still working on improving it.

yup, very much easier said than done. :D good advice, i'll try.

playing roots only while singing is so... boring, but adding melodies is so tough!

Oteil Burbridge ...

He solos and sings his solo .. AT THE SAME TIME .. amazing ..

check out Bass Day 97' or was it 98? .. can't remember .. one of those man ..

i know 1 bassist. Bani ! he sang and played with rosli mansor covering purple rain by the carpenters if im correct during their gig at the waterfront :D loving that song

Bani is super

Bani sings and plays with keyboards, bass, guitar, etc etc. He can play the guitar upside down without slowing down, heh, he's got an inbuilt musical brain.

Well, I play punk rock songs and I can sing and play at the same time. I guess playing punk rock song is easier to play and sing at same time.

Ginette Chittick of Astreal plays bass and sings as well. I think she's one awesome front-woman. =) And her bass is really drool-worthy. Haha. Electric Blue '58 Flying V copy. Really sweet-looking.

Back